PDA

View Full Version : Camera(50D) not working, need some help

NatalieM
21-05-2012, 5:59pm
Canon are closed at this time I think so seeing if anyone can help.

My 50D appears to have crapped itself. It will turn on and "work" with no lens...I can see the menu, and photos on the CF card.

With a lens off, it now doesn't work. Won't adjust settings or focus or so anything.

I'm really panicking now as I have some shoots lined up and can't afford another one :(

Any ideas?

macmich
21-05-2012, 6:13pm
trying taking batterys out and back in
and try another lens
cheers macca

NatalieM
21-05-2012, 6:29pm
I've tried that (except for the second battery so far as I don't have a screw driver yet) but didn't work.

ameerat42
21-05-2012, 8:16pm
Your original post is not to clear to me. Apologies for not quite getting it.
I can understand you're anxious.

It either works or does not with no lens.

1) What happens with a lens in it?
2) If nothing else, can you do a "factory reset"?

3) At some cost, but to meet of any commitments made, you should be able to hire another.

Am.

NatalieM
21-05-2012, 8:29pm
Oops sorry I meant with a lens ON it doesn't work.

ameerat42
21-05-2012, 8:43pm
OK. Any lens stops it, or just one or two?
And what about a "factory reset"?

It sounds normal to work as you describe without a lens. It might be a matter of compromised contacts.
Am.

ricktas
21-05-2012, 8:49pm
agree with ^ , clean the contacts on the camera and the lens.

arthurking83
21-05-2012, 10:03pm
dunno nuff'n about Canons.

Move thread here for more exposure(pun intended) to the Canon camp.

hope it gets sorted soon too.

ameerat42
21-05-2012, 10:13pm
...dunno nuff'n about Canons...

Same 'ere, AK. Nor geography, etc. But it sounds like a common problem to DSLRs.

Meanwhile, I'm dyin' to know what Natalie has found out.
Am.

KeeFy
21-05-2012, 10:14pm
Look at your top LCD when you try to turn it on with a lens on. What is the error code?

If it's error 01, it's the contacts. As mentioned clean the contacts. Easiest way is a small eraser but take note not to get any of the bits into the sensor or lens. Rub gentley.

Other methods is a small alcohol swab/earbud, ensure that it's only slightly damp not wet.

NatalieM
22-05-2012, 12:48pm
Ok so I cleaned the contacts and I actually think they had a tiny bit of moisture got in it... the camera got splashed (only a TINY bit) a few hours before and it was so tiny I hadn't worried, but maybe it did get in somewhow? Now that it's dried and cleaned it is working again thanks!

How bad is it that it got this wet? I'm scared now it's going to die on me again.

NatalieM
22-05-2012, 12:48pm
Oh btw it had no error code, just wouldn't work at all (no menu, no focusing, nothing).

ricktas
22-05-2012, 1:56pm
How bad is it that it got this wet? I'm scared now it's going to die on me again.

Fresh water, salt water? Plain or would the water have other things in it, chemicals, cordials etc. Plain fresh water, a splash that is wiped off will not generally do long term damage, all the others can

NatalieM
24-05-2012, 4:16pm
It was just water from a tap.

roastman
25-05-2012, 8:08pm
Probably wouldn't hurt to stick it in a bag with some moisture absorbent granules (Moisture Muncher is available at most camera stores and be be regenerated to be used again). Most of the time a little bit of moisture won't kill a camera, but you never know.