PDA

View Full Version : Canon 600D or KISS X5

cadman
10-05-2012, 11:28pm
Hi All.
My wife has just started getting interested in photography :) and I was thinking of getting her a Canon 600D. I just noticed on eglobaldigitalcameras that they have the 600D body for $619 but they have the KISS X5 body for $543.
Now I know that the KISS X5 is the Japanese version of the 600D but is there any significant differences between them as the $76 price difference makes me think there is some difference?
As for the lenses a mate is going to flog us his twin kit lenses for cheap :D as he has just bought the 5D MKII and already has the 24-105L and 70-200L lenses.
Any info you can give me would be gratefully accepted.

Tannin
10-05-2012, 11:43pm
I believe that it is identical, Peter, except for some minor configuration things:

1: the default language is Japanese. You have to fiddle around with the thing more-or-less blindfold looking for the language selection menu and set it to English - but you only have to do it once. (Hint: have another camera handy to compare it to. If you have (say) a friend's 40D handy you can use that to work out what to look for on the all-Japanese menu and it's dead easy.)

2: the supplied power cables might not be the right ones. You might have to spend $5 on an Australian-style power cable. But probably not.

3: You may or may not get all the documentation in English. Who cares? You can download all that stuff anytime you want anyway.

That's it, so far as I know.

cadman
11-05-2012, 12:12am
I believe that it is identical, Peter, except for some minor configuration things:

1: the default language is Japanese. You have to fiddle around with the thing more-or-less blindfold looking for the language selection menu and set it to English - but you only have to do it once. (Hint: have another camera handy to compare it to. If you have (say) a friend's 40D handy you can use that to work out what to look for on the all-Japanese menu and it's dead easy.)

2: the supplied power cables might not be the right ones. You might have to spend $5 on an Australian-style power cable. But probably not.

3: You may or may not get all the documentation in English. Who cares? You can download all that stuff anytime you want anyway.

That's it, so far as I know.

Thanks for the comments Tony.
I figured there couldn't be too much different.
A friend has the 600D so if I could go and see her I should be able to find the English language part of the menu from looking at hers.
Cheers.