PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Camera in Perth

AmandaD
05-05-2012, 9:56pm
Hi my name is Amanda and Im wanting to buy a really good camera as i want to start my own photography business. Could anyone give me advice about which camera would be the best one to purchase. Im looking at going into Children and Wedding Photography. :)

ricktas
05-05-2012, 10:04pm
My suggestion is that you get a camera and spend at least 2 years learning photography, before you even consider going into business.

Read this : http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?73305-Becoming-a-Professional-Photographer

With all due respect, you need to be able to take BRILLIANT photos before you start your business. You have chosen beginner as your experience level, so you have a long way to go before you can start a business.

Might sound harsh, but if you want to succeed as a professional photographer, and last more than a few weeks/months, in business, you have a very long way to go before you can start your business.

Re camera: get a professional level camera, and buy two of them, get several flash units, batteries, memory cards, at least three lenses (pro quality), a good computer, photoshop..and more. I hope you have at least $10-15K free to buy your start-up gear with. Then there is the insurance, website creation costs, marketing and more. Start with a good $30K and expect to spend most of it, before you have a client.

Kym
05-05-2012, 10:22pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

What Rick said!!

Tommo1965
06-05-2012, 12:34am
Hi Amanda

what photography experience do you have so far ?...as for camera choice, talk to Camera Electronics its a good shop with sound advice.. they are in east Perth

http://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/

Wayne63
06-05-2012, 6:39am
Welcome to AP Amanda, join in on the forums and look forward to seeing some of your pics.

fess67
06-05-2012, 8:04am
Welcome to AP.

I am with Rick on this one. If you have to ask which camera to get you are more than likely not ready to start a business as a photographer.

WhoDo
06-05-2012, 8:05am
Hi Amanda, and welcome to AP. It's great you have an ambition and the time to pursue it. As others have said, though, you need to "learn to crawl before you can walk" as they say.

If you don't have a whole lot of money to throw away (don't gamble what you can't afford to lose), I'd start with something designed to get me involved in DSLR photography and work up from there. You can still take exceptional images with an entry-level DSLR and if the business doesn't work out you'll still have a great camera for recording all of those life events you want to remember.

My advice would be to buy a Nikon D3200 and a couple of kit lenses such as the 18-55mm and 55-300mm. That will give you a terrific choice of focal length options to work with. You'll also need a decent flash unit; something like the SB900. That's a great starter setup for any photographer. I'm sure there is an equivalent in either Canon or Pentax, but outside of those the choice for future expansion is extremely limited at the moment.

Have a look through some of the threads in the Business of Photography forum and you'll begin to see just how tough it is to be in small business, much less one where many people with a DSLR think they can make a living from home without doing their homework on the market and their start-up costs.

I hope you accept the advice given here in the spirit intended. There are many experienced photographers here, some who make an excellent living from their art, but none of them would have survived without doing the research and learning their craft first.