PDA

View Full Version : IF only I had digital then!

martycon
29-04-2012, 11:07pm
These cloud shots were taken with a reasonably good camera, about 15 years ago. Unfortunately commercial printing of colour reversal film was (in retrospect) in those days, very poor. The images shown were scanned from prints, and edited for exposure and to appear sharper, but NOT for hue or saturation. We watched this remarkable thunderhead internally lit by lightning for about an hour. I suppose I should be glad to have seen it and have at least some poor record of its occurrence.

ricktas
30-04-2012, 6:12am
Whilst the processing has not been optimal, you can certainly see that it was an impressing and imposing storm front. Well done on capturing it, then taking the time to scan and process these.

Cage
30-04-2012, 9:22am
Gee the noise in the last shot is distracting isn't it.

I use a free program called 'Noiseware Community Edition'. http://www.imagenomic.com/download.aspx I hope you don't mind but I ran that last shot through and it cleaned up remarkably well.

Xebadir
30-04-2012, 11:59am
There are many IFs I have had in my chasing career and my experiences of storms, many of which I really wish I could go back and do, but unfortunately the past is past. While the thunderhead is impressive, its quite likely you will see another like it, storms like that aren't that uncommon. When they do light up and catch the sun or with lightning from a distance at night quite often it is difficult for even the digital cameras to render the colouration so I wouldn't be too disheartened.

Bennymiata
30-04-2012, 2:14pm
Almost looks like an atomic explosion!

arthurking83
30-04-2012, 3:39pm
If you still have the negs, you may be able to extract more detail and quality from them.

I recently did this as the commercial prints I got back on my last batch of negs was sub par too.

Did it myself and found that I could better quality (print) images if I put some effort into it.

The effort is cumbersome and tedious, but it may ultimately be worth it.

impressive looking cloud formation too.

martycon
01-05-2012, 10:33pm
Hey, Kevin, thanks for that, I will get it and use it. Being a pernickety old fart as well as being pedantic, I point out that in the days of film, this mottling effect was called grain. However your program does not know that, and just does it's job. Kind regards.

martycon
01-05-2012, 10:50pm
John, thanks for your consolation and encouragement. Where we live this sort of storm is rare. When I saw a bay full of waterspouts I had no camera. I enjoyed your gallery. Especially the rainbow. Thanks marty.

martycon
01-05-2012, 11:01pm
Arthur, as usual your comments are both practical and helpful. I will try to find the negatives. Unfortunately I have difficulty recognising colour negatives. Perhapse you can also offer help in this regard. thanks marty.