PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for FM Velvia Vision?

Tricky
29-04-2012, 7:34pm
When I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 64-bit a while back, unfortunately this meant no longer being able to use Fred Miranda's Velvia Vision plug-in. As I understand it from FM's website, Velvia Vision still works in CS5 on Mac computers, but not on 64-bit Windows PCs. They say a new version is in the making, but there hasn't been any update in over a year, so get the feeling it's not coming.

I found Velvia Vision quite a useful plug-in for adding just a little bit of warmth to people photos. It gives a more natural injection of warmth in skin tones than a tweak of saturation or vibrance.

So... does anyone know of an alternative Photoshop plug-in (or stand-alone program) that achieves similar effects to Velvia Vision?

Thanks
Richard

ameerat42
29-04-2012, 7:42pm
Same here - wondering about this - though I haven't upgraded to 64-bit yet. Can't help you with a compatible version. If it's critical, maybe boot up in 32-bit mode for some photos.
Searches on the topic seem inconclusive at best.
Am.

ricktas
29-04-2012, 7:46pm
You should find that both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of CS5 are on your machine. You might be able to run the 32 bit version to use your plugin

If this is a 'velvia' plug-in designed to emulate Velvia film. The Nik Software Color Efex group also contains a range of 'film effects' including a velvia one

The other alternative is an action from action central (http://www.atncentral.com/image_enhance.html). Scroll to the bottom of that page and there is a velvia portrait and Velvia Provia options..for free

Mat
29-04-2012, 8:23pm
I am not sure of the effect that FM Velvia Vision gives but one that I use is from onOne software and that is Photo Tools 2.6 I use the free version but can't find the link on their site. They now have some more free software available to try and they can be found here http://www.ononesoftware.com/free/
There are a few effects that can give the result that you described.

Tricky
13-05-2012, 10:06pm
Thanks Rick and Mat - I will give your suggestions a crack :th3: