PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it

derek68
26-04-2012, 9:13pm
aim trying to get a brand new canon 800mm lens but canon aus has told me about 3 months wait so
i have seen one on digital rev so my question is is it worth buying from them they are a bit dearer that i have seen here i was thinking of the import duty which works about 1000+ has anyone else got a large lens for overseas
and what did they have to do

Bennymiata
26-04-2012, 9:47pm
Not sure about the local price, but B&H in New York have them in stock for US$13,899.00 + around $300 for shipping.

From reading the user reviews, it seems to get top marks and they are all in love with it.

ricktas
26-04-2012, 11:08pm
If you order through an AP advertiser (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13499-Ausphotography-Site-Advertisers). (Digital Rev and B&H are both site advertisers) please click through the link on AP and order. Doesn't cost you anymore, but AP gets commission, which all helps cover the costs of running the site etc.

Mark L
26-04-2012, 11:17pm
Import duty is G.S.T..
From Benny's post = $1390.
If want it now, link to B&H though AP site sponsors so AP gets a little money back from you transaction!
DigitalRev are also site sponsors, so if you go with them also link though AP.
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?13499-Ausphotography-Site-Advertisers

ricktas
26-04-2012, 11:21pm
Note that GST may not apply at the actual purchase price. Customs has the right to determine what an item is worth. They have a large database and can compare the price paid, to their database. So if you buy something for $5K AUD, but on the customs database, the item is listed as RRP $6K AUD, they can charge you on that price.

However, I have found they are usually happy to just use the price noted on the item as the price paid.

derek68
27-04-2012, 1:04am
thanks every one for your help and rick if i do order i will go thru the ap link

ameerat42
27-04-2012, 8:48am
Note that GST may not apply at the actual purchase price. Customs has the right to determine what an item is worth. They have a large database and can compare the price paid, to their database. So if you buy something for $5K AUD, but on the customs database, the item is listed as RRP $6K AUD, they can charge you on that price.

However, I have found they are usually happy to just use the price noted on the item as the price paid.

And I thought bushranging was a thing of the past:rolleyes:

ricktas
27-04-2012, 9:39am
And I thought bushranging was a thing of the past:rolleyes:

They do this to avoid the situation where an item worth say $10K is declared as being worth $1.5k (which happens). Customs can, at their discretion, reject the declared value and apply an Australian RPP price to the item.

CAP
27-04-2012, 9:58am
DigitalRev claim "No additional cost" in their pricing and have a note on their front page that any duties are paid by them.....
Also postage is included in their price for most items so it may at first look a bit more but could work out same if not cheaper by the time you add post etc from others.

Bennymiata
27-04-2012, 11:19am
They do this to avoid the situation where an item worth say $10K is declared as being worth $1.5k (which happens). Customs can, at their discretion, reject the declared value and apply an Australian RPP price to the item.

I think this depends on who the seller is.
Customs knows the sellers that are honest in their invoices and ones who purposely undervalue stuff.
I remember getting a lens from a HK supplier, and having to go down to Customs to pick it up.
When the package came out, the Customs lady said this seller was notorious for undervaluing their invoices, so I had to jump onto the internet to prove to her that the invoice price was the price I paid.

derek68
27-04-2012, 3:09pm
thanks guys i didn't go for the 800mm but i did order a 5d iii thru digital rev using the AP link
CAP i gave DR a ring and they confirmed what you said thats why this lens was dearer as they already added the handling fees to it maybe a another time

fillum
27-04-2012, 4:54pm
Import duty is G.S.T..
From Benny's post = $1390.OT, but just to clarify...

Import duty/tariff is not GST. Some items attract an import duty (typically 5%) which is additional to GST. Import duties don't apply to most general photographic gear.

GST is calculated on the whole cost of the transaction: item cost + shipping + insurance + import duty when applicable (yes a tax on a tax). Whilst GST payable on shipping generally won't be a lot (e.g. $30 in above case), the inclusion of shipping for calculation purposes can be significant. (e.g. item costing $750 with $300 shipping will be liable to GST).

[I ain't an accountant so if this is critical to you, seek professional tax advice.]

Cheers.

Cage
27-04-2012, 6:52pm
The other point to consider with top shelf items is who do you turn to for warranty is the product goes belly-up.

bricat
28-04-2012, 11:54pm
Simply return it to the seller or his AGENT who might be in Aussie. There are a few repair places other than the brand names.