PDA

View Full Version : CF card question

twix
16-04-2012, 5:27pm
Hi all,
I like to get me a second CF cart but do not really know which would be the biggest possible card size for a 20D.
Can someone give me any advice on this?
:food04: Klaus!

Seabee
16-04-2012, 5:50pm
I am not sure on that question, but I do remember hearing that a few smaller cards is better than one large one!!

I have 2x 8 g, 1x 2g and a 1g

The theory being that it is wiser to prepare for the possibility of failure at some point and it is better to lose 8 g of pics as opposed to 16, 32 and upwards.

That's just me and I will be interested to hear other thoughts on this matter!!

fess67
16-04-2012, 5:57pm
I am not sure there is a maximum size that the camera will take. Seabees advice is sound. I Have 16GB cards but multiples of 8GB would probably be better from a security / safety view point.

Old Skool
16-04-2012, 6:01pm
Looking around on Google it seems that 8Gb is the largest you can use in the 20D if you format in camera. If you use a 16Gb card in it, the camera will only recognize it as 8Gb.

Seabee
16-04-2012, 6:39pm
Looking around on Google it seems that 8Gb is the largest you can use in the 20D if you format in camera. If you use a 16Gb card in it, the camera will only recognize it as 8Gb.

See something I didn't know lol, thanks Russell !!
Something I also do as good practice is format the card every single time I put it back in the camera!

twix
16-04-2012, 7:04pm
Thanks everyone for your advise, i will then go with another 4 gig and a 2 gig card and that`s should be plenty for me then!
Cheers Klaus!

Speedway
16-04-2012, 9:06pm
I have 3 8G, 1 4G and 3 1G Cards for my 400D and 7D and have never wanted more. At the ATV festivle over Easter I took over 1200 shots with the 7D on the one 8G card.
Keith.

Bennymiata
17-04-2012, 9:36am
Lexar have introduced new 256Gig cards.
Enough for a lifetime of photos!

Won't be long, and we'll have 2 Tb cards!

virgal_tracy
17-04-2012, 9:44am
I do remember hearing that a few smaller cards is better than one large one!!
That's just me and I will be interested to hear other thoughts on this matter!!

There are 2 trains of thought to this subject and it depends on what you are shooting and if you are liekly to change your cards during a shoot.

Yes it will limit the damage if you are using multiple cards and one fails (eggs in one basket and all that). But, if you are changing cards often, a larger size limits the chances of losing a card when changing or even shooting over the top by mistake.

Very dependent on your own style and thoughts on this one.

Rosh
17-04-2012, 9:47am
It may depend on your shooting setting. RAW will use a lot of memory on your card but if just JPEG smaller cards are fine.

Speedway
17-04-2012, 12:21pm
shooting over the top by mistake.
How do you do that, if that were possible you couldn't use two different cards as I do when shooting two events on the same day.
Keith