PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone!

Cupcake
13-04-2012, 3:26pm
Hi everyone!

I am new to the Forum and i'm just wanting to introduce myself.
I live in Perth Western Australia and i am still in High School
i am a complete amateur with no photography experience whatsoever. :o but everyone has to start somewhere right!
At the moment I don't have an good photography gear, hence the reason for me joining this forum - i need some good advice.
I am looking into buying an entry level slr camera. My budget is not huge but it is pretty decent sized. i've been looking at buying a canon 1100D with a single lens which is available from JB-hifi for about $577 - however it does not come with the image stabilized lens is it still worth it? or am i better off looking somewhere else to get the IS lens with it? or am i better off spending a bit more money and getting the 600D which has some pretty cool features but i don't know if i can get it with the single lens kit or how much more expensive it is?
i am really interested in photography and i am planning on really getting into it.
Would really love some help from the pros!;)

Thanks Cupcake

Kel
13-04-2012, 3:32pm
G'day and welcome to the site

ricktas
13-04-2012, 3:47pm
Welcome to AP.. Pull up a chair and join in.

re Image Stabilisation. This has only been available for the last 10 or so years, photography has been around for nearly 200 years. You don't need IS to take good photos, its just one of those things that, in some circumstances, make it easier, but it certainly isn't a must have.

PaulM
13-04-2012, 3:57pm
Welcome Cupcake. This is a great site and you will learn heaps if you have a thirst for knowledge. Check out the "New to Photography" forum to assist with your decision on a camera

You could also talk to your local camera store and maybe hire various models/brands to find one that suits your needs and budget

Also...check out Check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for reviews on the 1100D and heaps of other cameras

Cheers
Paul

Cupcake
13-04-2012, 4:00pm
thanks for the welcome/help/info :) i will check out the 'New to photography' forum

Kym
13-04-2012, 4:04pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Duane Pipe
13-04-2012, 4:22pm
Welcome to the forum Cupcake. I am a Canon user with a 15x85 kit lens and have never used the image stabilizing feature with that lens yet.
I also shoot with a Sigma 150x500 and only use image stabilizing when shooting hand held.
I am no expert and what I have said is the way that I shoot!.
Post in the Canon forum, Heaps of help. guaranteed:th3:

Mary Anne
13-04-2012, 4:36pm
Hello and Welcome to AP.. It all depends what you want to shoot if you are interested in Macro or Birds you will need Spot Metering.
The Canon 1100 does not have it.. I would be looking at the 600D and if you cannot afford a decent lens yet..
Get yourself a Nifty Fifty 50mm f/1.8 it may be very cheap but its sharp and great to learn on.
That will give you time to save up for a decent lens..

Wayne63
13-04-2012, 4:51pm
Welcome to AP, Enjoy the site, join in on the forums and look forward to seeing some of your pics

Mark L
13-04-2012, 10:07pm
G'day and welcome Cupcake.
Sounds like you've got the photography "bug". And since we all have to start somewhere, http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?102930-For-sale-on-Cameramarket-Canon-1000D-plus-lenses
Good luck with it all. :th3:

Peter
13-04-2012, 10:33pm
You have found a great resource Cupcake, welcome.

Cupcake
14-04-2012, 11:23am
thanks of the info i will put up some pics once i get my camera and can take some photos - i don't have any at the moment :)
just wondering - how safe is it to buy second hand cameras from other states? any tips? and if i can check one out around Perth how can you check if there are smudges and dust bunnies on the sensor?
Thanks Cupcake

ricktas
14-04-2012, 11:29am
I suggest you post your questions in the camera gear forum. Adding them to an intro post will not get many looks etc.