PDA

View Full Version : enlarging for print

britinozz
10-04-2012, 2:09pm
I have never printed one photo of mine in the time of been doing photography very slack i think.
With saying that i am totally confused about how to do it , i have heard of multiplying this and getting less pixels etc etc which doesn't work for me as in i don't understand so is there a free program for mac that is easy to use and can any one give me some tips i use lightroom and elements 10.
cheers.
sorry i have posted in wrong place not sure how to delete.

I @ M
10-04-2012, 2:28pm
How big do you want it printed?

Seeing as you are in Brisbane, I would suggest that you take the ( uncropped ) image along to RGB Digital saved as the highest quality jpeg and get them to print it.
Anything that we have had done there in the past at around 16x24 or 20x30 comes back looking just fine without any resizing necessary.

soulman
10-04-2012, 2:59pm
Yeah, it's pretty easy with Lightroom and as Andrew says, you won't need to enlarge anything. Just right-click on your image and go to the "Export…" menu. I would export a full size 16 bit TIFF, because they have much more colour information - which translates to smoother colour transitions & minimal likelihood of banding - than JPEGs.

In the File Settings section of the Export window these settings should be fine:
Format: TIFF
Compression : none
Colour space: sRGB or AdobeRGB (whichever you normally use, sRGB is more common)
Bit Depth: 16 bits/component

In Image Sizing, make sure the "Resize to fit" checkbox is not ticked. Resolution is not relevant.

Output Sharpening - up to you. If you're sharpening for print, you need to specify gloss or matte.

That's it basically. Save it to your Pictures folder, or wherever, then burn it onto a CD or put it onto a USB stick and take it to the printer.

britinozz
10-04-2012, 3:16pm
Yeah, it's pretty easy with Lightroom and as Andrew says, you won't need to enlarge anything. Just right-click on your image and go to the "Export…" menu. I would export a full size 16 bit TIFF, because they have much more colour information - which translates to smoother colour transitions & minimal likelihood of banding - than JPEGs.

In the File Settings section of the Export window these settings should be fine:
Format: TIFF
Compression : none
Colour space: sRGB or AdobeRGB (whichever you normally use, sRGB is more common)
Bit Depth: 16 bits/component

In Image Sizing, make sure the "Resize to fit" checkbox is not ticked. Resolution is not relevant.

Output Sharpening - up to you. If you're sharpening for print, you need to specify gloss or matte.

That's it basically. Save it to your Pictures folder, or wherever, then burn it onto a CD or put it onto a USB stick and take it to the printer.
Awsum thanks for that i will give it ago.