PDA

View Full Version : Newbie -No camera yet

hopefull
28-03-2012, 3:20pm
Hi,
I am a total novice, still searching the net to help me decide what type of camera to buy! Am hoping to get, and really need lots of basic help and advice.
Am thinking about a Canon 600D or 550D. Am fascinated by macro photography, but know nothing about it or the range of lenses available.
I hope you will be able to help me on my photography journey.

ameerat42
28-03-2012, 3:35pm
Hi "Hopefull". Welcome to AP. Those two you mentioned sound like you're on the right track.
If you're interested in macro photography, get yourself a macro prime that can do 1:1. If it's about f=50mm then it will also serve as a good portrait lens on the
crop sensor in the two canons you cited.

For an all-round lens the standard kit lens will probably do you for a while.
Am.

Wayne63
28-03-2012, 3:39pm
Welcome to AP, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums soon

Kym
28-03-2012, 7:46pm
:gday: & Welcome
- When you get started lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Check the New to Photography (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=Books:New_To_Photography_Book) book and equipment guide before purchasing - lots of good advice.

Mark L
28-03-2012, 9:05pm
G'day and welcome also.
As Am said "Those two you mentioned sound like you're on the right track."
Go into a shop and see how they feel. I went and felt these in my hands and decided to buy the 60D. :)
I'm hopefull you hang around AP. :th3:

rwg717
28-03-2012, 9:08pm
Cheers Hopefull, enjoy the site anyway and welcome:D
Richard

Kerrie
28-03-2012, 9:14pm
Hi there & welcome.

From what I have read 1:1 is true macro and best. 50mm is good for still subjects (flowers) but bugs/insects get a bit flighty if your are too close i hear , so a tamron 90mm will be handier for them. People who own this lens swear by it ( even pros).

Enjoy your journey !

hopefull
28-03-2012, 9:40pm
What a friendly warm welcome , thanks it is appreciated as is your advice .
:)

Kel
28-03-2012, 9:43pm
Welcome to great site