PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop CS6 beta

arnica
22-03-2012, 5:33pm
For those considering getting Photoshop, here's a beta version of CS6 for free.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/22/2892828/adobe-photoshop-cs6-beta-available-download-free

ameerat42
22-03-2012, 5:46pm
Thanks, Arnica. The conditions look benign enough. If I have a spare hour I might give the download a whirl.
(I wonder what it's got over CS2?)
Am.

agb
23-03-2012, 12:37pm
At the moment if you have Lightroom 4 and you go to "photo edit in ... Photoshop CS5" it says that we need the ACR7 which will be available with Photoshop CS6. Does that mean that if we get Lightroom 4 we will have to have CS6 or we won't be able to edit in photoshop without saving as say a tiff and then opening that in photoshop?

Muzfox
23-03-2012, 4:41pm
ACR is usually a freebie, so I think once it's not in beta, you can just update ACR and not necessarily photoshop...but I've been wrong before!

William
23-03-2012, 6:53pm
Well I now have the Beta version of CS6 , Will give it a go over the weekend :)

ameerat42
23-03-2012, 8:02pm
Good LARK with it William.
My story: Yes, downloaded, read all the T&Cs, did the installation, ran it, and got exception errors of some sort.
Next: uninstalled it, deleted the original zip file and unzipped folder.
(Luckily too, I did a system restore point before all of the above.)

I thought, "Poss Off"! (The name of a possum repellent, but apt in the circumstances.)

How did anyone else fare?

BTW, XP SP2, Quad core, 2GB.
Umphh!

fess67
23-03-2012, 8:56pm
At the moment if you have Lightroom 4 and you go to "photo edit in ... Photoshop CS5" it says that we need the ACR7 which will be available with Photoshop CS6. Does that mean that if we get Lightroom 4 we will have to have CS6 or we won't be able to edit in photoshop without saving as say a tiff and then opening that in photoshop?

I have LR4 and I ignore that message and select open anyway. Opens in CS5 as a CR2 file.

William
24-03-2012, 2:41pm
@ AM, :lol2: Sorry mate , I had the same problem, Look at the minimum requirement for CS6 , If running XP you need at least SP3 which I had to install as well

Anyway got it working , Looks a little different

dbax
24-03-2012, 3:32pm
be interested to hear of any big changes or new tools etc Bill :D

William
24-03-2012, 4:08pm
This shows some of the new features David , Still have;nt had a good play yet , BTW I got the 60 day trial, Not bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTYcRWPsZUg

William
24-03-2012, 6:34pm
You actually get some links to tut's on start up from Adobe

EG :

agb
25-03-2012, 2:40pm
I have LR4 and I ignore that message and select open anyway. Opens in CS5 as a CR2 file.
Does that mean that it has not brought into PS any of the adjustments that you have done in LR4?

fess67
25-03-2012, 6:43pm
It brought the changes in but they did not seem as vibrant in CS5 as they did in LR4. The render using lightroom oprion did bring the changes across much more accurately but as a tif and not CR2

ameerat42
25-03-2012, 7:50pm
@ AM, :lol2: Sorry mate , I had the same problem, Look at the minimum requirement for CS6 , If running XP you need at least SP3 which I had to install as well

Thanks, WIlliam. For some reason I cannot now remember, I never wanted to install SP3. Well, I might have to just do so:rolleyes:

William
26-03-2012, 9:47am
Thanks, WIlliam. For some reason I cannot now remember, I never wanted to install SP3. Well, I might have to just do so:rolleyes:

Same here, I think it had something to do with slowing down the computor at the time , But now I have more ram and a better processor it works fine ;)

Bax
26-03-2012, 11:04am
So far I'm liking it, but I think I prefer CS4's camera raw editor. There are a lot of options and I'm short of photos to edit.

I like the built in gradient tools, something I use photoshop for quite a lot. But it didn't seem to work in the 5 minute play I had with it earlier. Definitely need to spend more time on it, as at this time I'm thinking about upgrading.

ameerat42
26-03-2012, 11:43am
Installed SP3, CS6 - I get a 60-day trial - and all is running OK. Now "exploring" CS6.

One thing: how do you "click" an image closed while keeping CS open?
Um.

William
26-03-2012, 2:16pm
Here AM, Though you probably worked that out by now ;)

ameerat42
26-03-2012, 3:34pm
Ta, William. Was in a rush after having a quick squiz. Had to take a trip to airport.
Back now, and having a good look.
Am.

Tommo224
26-03-2012, 5:03pm
I want to give this Beta a whirl. Some of the new features might make my life at work a slightly bit easier going!

But will have to see.

camerasnoop
27-03-2012, 9:10am
I'll be interested to hear if any of you have trouble uninstalling the beta when your trial expires. I've still got the remnants of the CS4 trial I installed years ago, before I upgraded to CS5. Windows 7 can't uninstall it. I'd give it a trial myself, but I don't want to stuff up my copy of CS5. For those that have CS5 and are running this trial, are you having any problems with running both versions?

ameerat42
27-03-2012, 9:55am
Snoop. I'm running my original CS2 and this CS6 trial. No conflicts at all. Each opens and operates separately.
I have not tried running the two at once :eek:

The only thing I noticed is that when I 4-got that I had CS2 minimised, clicking on the CS6 icon just re-opened the minimised CS2.

I also wondered about uninstalling, but in the meantime... I have 59 days of trial left.
Am.

William
27-03-2012, 11:45am
I've got no problems either Snoop, I think they run together nicely , All my actions and Brush presets easily transfered over to CS6 :) CS5 Works fine as well , CS6 Took over as boss though with all images going straight into CS6, If I open CS5 and go to file>Open to load images CS5 still works the same

camerasnoop
28-03-2012, 9:09am
Thanks AM and Bill. What's the new Bridge look like? I use Bridge rather than Lightroom. I should be out with the mower and the chainsaw, but I might just have a play with CS6 instead.

William
28-03-2012, 10:01am
Dont worry about the mowing , Just say the grass is to wet :lol2:

dbax
28-03-2012, 10:15am
Snoop, a few versions ago, cs2 or 3 I think, I had great trouble installing the newer version, finally had to download a script from Adobe to completely uninstall the previous version, this might do the trick for you, depending on what versions your working with http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Might also help if any have problems getting rid of the Beta

camerasnoop
28-03-2012, 10:33am
Snoop, a few versions ago, cs2 or 3 I think, I had great trouble installing the newer version, finally had to download a script from Adobe to completely uninstall the previous version, this might do the trick for you, depending on what versions your working with http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Might also help if any have problems getting rid of the Beta

I had the same problem. I had to run the version that wiped everything Adobe, and then reinstall everything. That was a pain as I had to go back and install my original PS6 (pre CS) and all my updates from there to get the upgrades of each version to work. It still didn't wipe CS4. It's a registry thing I think. I've deleted all the directories for it, but the Windows Control Panel still thinks it's install and can't uninstall it. Of course I have a non-standard setup as well with G drive being my boot drive.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I think the next OS upgrade I do will be a clean setup instead of all the patches and transfers. Windows 8 won't be it though.

***EDIT***

Nah! Won't work for me. Tried the Advisor too and it finds no errors.... I'll just have to see what everyone else thinks about it.

ameerat42
28-03-2012, 12:44pm
Snoop.
What OS are you running? Like Andrew said to me above, if XP, you need SP3.
I got your msg too, ignored it, and installed SP3.
A re-start later and the trial installed and ran a snap.
Am.

camerasnoop
28-03-2012, 2:29pm
Windows 7 Version 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1. 8GB DDR2 RAM, Intel Quad Core Processor.

Should work. Didn't give me an option to ignore.

ameerat42
28-03-2012, 2:42pm
(Hmm!:rolleyes:-ering why?)

camerasnoop
28-03-2012, 6:34pm
Problem solved. I extracted all the files to a container on the desktop and ran it from there. It's installing as I type. :efelant:

camerasnoop
28-03-2012, 7:16pm
Oh crap! Looks like I'll have to make my own profile for the 17-35L. At least they got the 28-70L in there.

camerasnoop
29-03-2012, 10:19am
The sliders on ACR v7 are different to thise on 6.6. I don't know if I like that. I've gotten used to the "fill light", "recovery", and "brightness" sliders. I have to manipulate different combinations now. I gather "highlights" is the old "recovery", "shadows" is the old "fill light", and "whites" is the old "brightness", but the effect doesn't appear to match this exactly.

***EDIT***
This would seem to be confirmed by opening a RAW file that has already been edited in ACR6.6 and seeing that your changes don't appear when you change the camera profile to 2012 (the new ACR7 version). The slides above revert to their original unedited position. Don't fear though. Just change it back to 2010 (ACR6.6) and the changes return.

Somebody else got any thoughts on that?

agb
29-03-2012, 12:24pm
The sliders on ACR v7 are different to thise on 6.6. I don't know if I like that. I've gotten used to the "fill light", "recovery", and "brightness" sliders. I have to manipulate different combinations now. I gather "highlights" is the old "recovery", "shadows" is the old "fill light", and "whites" is the old "brightness", but the effect doesn't appear to match this exactly.

***EDIT***
This would seem to be confirmed by opening a RAW file that has already been edited in ACR6.6 and seeing that your changes don't appear when you change the camera profile to 2012 (the new ACR7 version). The slides above revert to their original unedited position. Don't fear though. Just change it back to 2010 (ACR6.6) and the changes return.

Somebody else got any thoughts on that?

This applies to Lightroom 4 but the process is the same.
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/what-happened-to-fill-light-and-recovery.html

camerasnoop
29-03-2012, 3:27pm
This applies to Lightroom 4 but the process is the same.
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/what-happened-to-fill-light-and-recovery.html

Not sure what halos they're talking about under the old ACR. I didn't get any with the Fill slider. Still having a play with the new stuff. The tools work a bit differently to. Who'd have though that the paint bucket would fill from the top left now instead of from the paint bit like the old one? :D

Still fiddling around trying to find the best way to create masks and refine the edges.

This version seems slower than the last too. No doubt time will tell if this is the case in the full production version. I haven't really seen anything that is a huge step forward over CS5 yet. It seems no worse than the changes that Microsoft wrought between versions of Office though.

camerasnoop
01-04-2012, 8:00am
Did anyone have a problem with Actions not copying over completely? Some of my Sets are missing actions. They were all saved and I copied the *.ATN files over. Not all actions appear in the set.

camerasnoop
02-04-2012, 6:23pm
Anybody have problems with Noise Ninja crashing CS6?

camerasnoop
24-04-2012, 7:03pm
At the risk of talking at nobody again, has anyone tried the "Content Aware Scale" tool. It's pretty darned funky!

ameerat42
25-04-2012, 8:20am
No x 3 to your last 3 Qs, Snoop. I just hope it uninstalls properly when the trial runs out.
Am. (Nobody, really.)

camerasnoop
25-04-2012, 9:22am
I just hope it uninstalls properly when the trial runs out.

I'll find out in 30 days. :D No. I think I'll have to upgrade now because I've done too much editing using the new ACR. It can't translate the different settings back to the older 2010 engine for highlights and shadows. In any case, I think those two new sliders apply a better processing algorithym. Adobe will stop putting stuff in their automatic updates for versions before CS6 anyway once it hits the retail outlets.

Thanks nobody! ;)

camerasnoop
26-04-2012, 8:42pm
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1205103502/extreme-contrast-edits-in-lightroom-4-and-acr-7