PDA

View Full Version : A young old-timer.

baybeans
20-03-2012, 4:24pm
Hi gang.

A bit of background about me. I first got hooked on photography when I became interested in a camera to capture my newborn on film - that was 1995. My plans for a point and shoot were thwarted when i laid down the cash for a Pentax film SLR and 50m f1.8. soon after I was hacking away in my newly converted bathroom darkroom processing film and printing on an enlarger. My photos were awful.. poor composition, dark prints etc, but I and everyone i showed them to loved them.

next came a purpose built darkroom. My enthusiasm grew, my photos started looking a bit better. I was happy. I read a few books from Ansel Adam to more general photography books and THATS the moment I relaly fell in love with photography. I purchased a Rolleiflex TLR, shot a few rolls of 120 film and romanced some more.

Somewhere around 2000, I converted to digital, 1.3mp and all the photos from that period are dissapointingly low quality. The last few years i have been shooting on a Nikon d70 and 50mm f1.8 plus a more recent addition, sigma 10-20mm. In my opinion, it was a great setup, although bulky for day to day use and started spending more and more time in the bedroom closet, which as you know, the photos from a camera left at home are useless. I sold my SLR setup after lusting over a Fuji X100, but couldnt pull the trigger based on price. Now that I have no camera, other than an iPhone (which I like using, since it is always with me), I am considering my options once again. Should I drop the cash on an X100, or do I let the iphone (or something like a Leica Dlux5/Panasonic LX5) be my Point and Shoot and load up the rolleiflex for the romance - you know, those days where you walk the streets, compose, meter, compose, stare, meter again and then walk away without a shot.

I have been feeling like something has been missing from my conversion to digital. I dont print nearly as many photos as I did when I was using film, rather prefering to play with them in lightroom and have them sit on my hard drive, rarely being reviewed. Thats a shame and I think it comes from digital being so easy to capture, that I shoot lots, but print few. I also realise that the camera I use (for my amature purposes) has little to do with the output of the photo - I am more comfortable with one lens and one basic body rather than a bag full of exotic lenses.

so, your advice on what to do is appreciated, but I also know the only person that will make a decision is me.

What do you do with your photos? do you print, or store them online somewhere? (where? Pinterest, flikr, 500px, facebook?). I have come to realise that my photos being stored on my harddrive is almost as useless as leaving my camera at home in the cupboard.

thats me. I look forward to sending a bit of time over here at AusPhotography and look forward to learning with you.

James
Sydney and Nelson Bay NSW

William
20-03-2012, 4:38pm
Welcome to AP James, Best way to get started is to post some shots in the main CC forum of your choice , Do some critique on others and generally get involved , It's fun :) All the help you need will come - Bill ;)

Mary Anne
20-03-2012, 4:44pm
Hello James and Welcome to AP.. Sounds like you have done a lot of everything in your time
Sorry I cannot help you with what camera to drop those $ on to me thats a personal choice, though you will get plenty of help with deciding
I dont print any images either being into Macro who would want a big spider on their wall.. :D
Mine are all over the www lots on gardening forums, some on flickr, a huge amount on DeviantArt there are many places on line.
I will look forward to seeing you post some of those images on the Forums here then

P.S. I forgot about Photobucket, its bulging with images..

Kym
20-03-2012, 7:14pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

baybeans
20-03-2012, 7:45pm
Thanks for your warm welcome.

I have just discovered the comps and critique sections and I think the missing hardware in my camera bag is not hardware at all... It's perhaps participation and sharing in the critiques and comps that I needed to appreciate my photography. A great find and I am so excited all over again to start shooting again!

Now, I think I need to let go of the romance of a film camera (Rolleiflex), and get right back into a digital with a nice fast prime and start clickin.

Wayne63
20-03-2012, 10:35pm
Welcome to AP James, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums soon