PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Germany

Dwarak
17-03-2012, 9:40am
Planning on travelling to Germany places of travel would be munich, the romantic drive, Fussen, driving up to zurich, St Goar, Cologn etc. Any advice on what to photograph I plan to do a lot of castles....

ameerat42
17-03-2012, 9:57am
Viel Glück, Dwarak! Around München you seem to have got it covered. Drop by and see the Nymphenburg Palace in M, too. It's amazing that "mad" King Ludwig could have built all those. Can't talk about Z, St G, C, etc.
Am.

ricktas
17-03-2012, 10:06am
The Olympic complex in Munich is worth a look, as is the Glockenspeil (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=glockenspiel+munich&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PrhjT6mkD6qaiAfPsMTFBQ&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=649). Not very nice, but a visit to a former Nazi concentration camp will be an emotive roller-coaster ride ( I went to Dachau), and is something that should be considered. A cruise down the Rhein will give you some great views of quite a few castles. Heidelberg (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=heidelberg+schloss&hl=en&pwst=1&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=CrljT5LyF_G0iQfe6pzdBQ&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=649) is one worth getting to, of many. You have got to try a beer hall, even if you don't drink beer, the atmosphere is worth it.

Ionica
17-03-2012, 11:48am
Neuschwanstein castle worth a visit, and is in a beautiful location. The Starnbergsee ( SW of Munich ) is an area popular with locals. To the south is Garmisch - Partenkirchen, in the mountains. If in the area, Rothenburg is worth a look.

J.davis
18-03-2012, 1:00am
I have done two trips along parts of the Rhine and any of the small river towns are gems of the middle ages in their street culture. A picture op in every location.
I have one last trip planed for next year and will be going on the Danube from Bucharest to Vienna on a river boat.
Its a lovely part of the world.

Dwarak
19-03-2012, 10:11am
Thanks for all the advice guys want to make the most of this trip I am planning to invest in a 70-200 f2.8 lens as well I think will get the new version with IS as I am strong believer in the latest technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ameerat42
19-03-2012, 10:29am
GeBLAST!!!
Went to post and it told me to log in again.

All I said was: make sure you take a wide angle lens with you. At least f=28mm in FF equivalent.
AND that it is verboten to take photos of the interior of Neuschwanstein Castle during the guided tour, though you can take them from the windows.
This might apply to all such places.
Am.

Karl
19-03-2012, 10:32am
As above but also spend a day or two in Rothenburg o.d. Tauber - http://www.romanticroad.com/rothenburg/sights.php a fantastic place with lots of old building etc.

That site also has some other great ideas for tours around Germany.

Just beaware when visiting Neuschawstein Castle (Fussen) that it is very popular and the crowds are something to see :eek::eek:

Karl

jo26
19-03-2012, 10:45am
In München, the Englischer Garten is lovely for a stroll and some beautiful vistas . Also if you climb up to the gazebo on the hill( you'll see it when you're there), there will be views over the city:-)