PDA

View Full Version : Lightroom 4

agb
07-03-2012, 3:38pm
I cannot find it mentioned here but Lightroom 4, not the beta, has been released.
But, here is the rub. If you live in the USA it will cost you $79 to upgrade, but we lucky Australians can get the upgrade for only $122.
And that is for the download too I understand.

They do try and take us for a ride don't they.

etherial
07-03-2012, 5:38pm
Hi Graham, you are quite right LR4 is out in the wild. Very annoyed that they are trying to rip of Australians (and Kiwis) with their pricing though. $149USD is great, but go to the Australian adobe site (because apparently you can't order from the US site) and it says $219 (inc GST). But then if you click buy, you get another Adobe stuff up as you get two options, buy the boxed version for $241 or the download for $205.

In any case they're ripping us off and attempts to contact them is not getting any response. BOOOOOOO!!!!!!:action:

Michaela
07-03-2012, 8:02pm
I bought the upgrade version for download this morning for A$98.75. :)

etherial
07-03-2012, 8:22pm
This is the response to numerous complaints on the Adobe ANZ facebook page:

Hi, thanks for your comment. To reiterate what we've said below. Adobe delivers mission-critical software to creative professionals. Our pricing methodology takes into consideration the costs of doing business in different regions and customer research that assesses the value of the product in the local market. Conditions vary between markets and it’s difficult to make a straight comparison between countries.

:scrtch:

agb
07-03-2012, 8:35pm
I bought the upgrade version for download this morning for A$98.75. :)

We would all like to know where:D

agb
07-03-2012, 8:37pm
This is the response to numerous complaints on the Adobe ANZ facebook page:

:scrtch:

Assessing the value of the product in the local market can be translated into charging what we think we can get for it.

Michaela
07-03-2012, 11:56pm
We would all like to know where:D
From the Adobe site - once I selected the version I was upgrading from it changed the price.

zollo
09-03-2012, 1:34am
yeah the upgrade costs just under $100 for the download. its actually worth it too!

Xebadir
13-03-2012, 2:25pm
Upgrade for the DL from LR3 is only $100.
Am actually really pleased with the outcomes, really like the changes that have been made and am quite impressed by the NR. Naturally you have to update the individual pictures in your catologue to LR4 form and it does change your processing workflow and the output method a bit but definitely like what it allows. Have tried out the new Photobook section and the website section and been very happy in the backwards compability as well as the improvements. Plenty of things to play with and a whole bunch of preset actions and methods to work on. Now I just have to justify Nik Softwares B+W converter ;).

EdZz
23-03-2012, 11:22am
Have any of your guys experienced any degradation in performance?

there's are hundreds of posts about very poor performance of LR4 compared to LR3... even when running hardcore machines =S
I was about to purchase it last night, but stumbled upon the official Lightroom forum..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=0

agb
23-03-2012, 12:28pm
Yes there is a problem for some people with lightroom 4. Towards the end of this http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_extremely_slow there is an acknowledgement from one of the Adobe people that they have been able to replicate a problem and are working on it.See the post by Becky Sowada.

fess67
23-03-2012, 9:00pm
I have not suffered from the problem so I guess I am one of the lucky ones :D

zollo
27-03-2012, 1:41pm
Have any of your guys experienced any degradation in performance?

there's are hundreds of posts about very poor performance of LR4 compared to LR3... even when running hardcore machines =S
I was about to purchase it last night, but stumbled upon the official Lightroom forum..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=0

i also read through that and didn't know what they were on about. i've experienced no slowdown :confused013

EdZz
28-03-2012, 1:44am
Yes there is a problem for some people with lightroom 4. Towards the end of this http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_0_reacts_extremely_slow there is an acknowledgement from one of the Adobe people that they have been able to replicate a problem and are working on it.See the post by Becky Sowada.

Ah! Thanks heaps for that =)
And that's great to hear that some of the peeps here are not experiencing any performance issues. I guess it would be a little hard to ask everyone about their setup, i.e. Fresh install? Upgraded from LR3 to LR4, etc. But either way, i'm gonna buy it. Adobe are not a small company so will rectify any issues sooner or later

Getting back onto the topic. I did have a quick chat with Adobe, using the chat window and i asked why there is a price difference. The representative replied saying it was due to taxes being imposed by Australia law, etc etc.

Hrmm.. whether thats true or not, u can decide for urself.
I also asked whether it made any difference if i were to buy and download LR4 from the USA store, opposed to the AUD store. The rep replied.. nope, no difference at all.
But there is one catch, u have to use an American credit card... i'm aware of virtual credit card, but have not successfully read up upon a reliable/easy/guaranteed way to do this.. so if anyone has any suggestion, i'm all ears for future USA purchases

Epicaricacy
28-03-2012, 2:59am
I have noticed it is a lot slower, painfully slow,sometimes... despite upping my RAM from a readable 3Gb to a fresh win64bit with 8Gb RAM.... Often moving a slider requires a second or more wait for the image to adjust and thus makes lots of micro adjustments annoying.

Horrible issues with metadata tags constantly saying they have been edited externally, and some terrible auto tone attempts, totally over or under exposing.

Apart from those issues, which I am hoping will be fixed in a .1 release, the upgrade is good... I prefer the new 2012 camera profile and slider layout, and like the map feature.

etherial
28-03-2012, 5:35pm
I haven't had any performance reduction at all. I just did the normal upgrade process and if anything I think it runs faster. I do have a pretty high spec machine though.

Presotto
30-03-2012, 5:10pm
I was just informed that Adobe have quietly dropped the Australian price of Lightroom 4 today, bringing it closer to the US price. It's now AU$99 for an upgrade or AU$187 for the full version as downloads from Adobe Australia.

I @ M
30-03-2012, 5:43pm
"Sigh"

Spend your dollars. :D

For Nikon aficionados the original ( and presumably current version ) of Capture NX2 cost around the $200.00 mark 3 years ago and all updates from then till now have been FREE.

Not only does it still offer excellent NEF to TIFF / JPEG conversions and editing functionality but the standard DAM section that is bundled with the camera offers very usable DAM capabilities for FREE.

I won't even go into the facts that CNX2 is much faster to edit / save on a modestly specced PC than adobe darkroom. :D

kiwi
30-03-2012, 6:22pm
Upgraded to LR4 today

Gotta pick one main software product and stuck by it or with it I reckon

agb
30-03-2012, 8:52pm
I was just informed that Adobe have quietly dropped the Australian price of Lightroom 4 today, bringing it closer to the US price. It's now AU$99 for an upgrade or AU$187 for the full version as downloads from Adobe Australia.
Above you Michaela wrote that it was $98.97 on March 7. So it was not reduced today.

EdZz
06-04-2012, 2:21am
When i goto the Adobe website, it says $187 ex GST for the download version...
so... aren't we meant to include GST...? i'm confused... does an electronic version have special exclusions not to add GST...?

dieselpower
10-04-2012, 9:32am
Anybody having slow performance issues with LR4 should check out this Adobe blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/lightroom-4-hot-issues.html
There's a release candidate for LR 4.1 available. I downloaded and installed it last night and it has fixed the performance issues for me.

The download is available at: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

agb
10-04-2012, 1:22pm
Anybody having slow performance issues with LR4 should check out this Adobe blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/lightroom-4-hot-issues.html
There's a release candidate for LR 4.1 available. I downloaded and installed it last night and it has fixed the performance issues for me.

The download is available at: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/
You're lucky, :)still a lot of people on that forum with real performance issues. Particularly in the develop panel.

agb
10-04-2012, 1:26pm
When i goto the Adobe website, it says $187 ex GST for the download version...
so... aren't we meant to include GST...? i'm confused... does an electronic version have special exclusions not to add GST...?
I think that they may have made a mistake earlier and had not included the =GST price, so Michaela got it at the lower price.

dieselpower
10-04-2012, 3:35pm
You're lucky, :)still a lot of people on that forum with real performance issues. Particularly in the develop panel.

I have performance issues in the develop panel if I use lens correction and noise reduction - but I've had performance issues here ever since I started using Lightroom and have learnt to put up with it. I was seeing delays of up to 5 seconds to show the preview when adjusting basic sliders like white balance and exposure prior to updating to 4.1.

EdZz
11-04-2012, 10:58pm
ahhh man... i'm still waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out before i actually purchase it.. =S
I'm still running on LR3.6 atm.. hope the final LR4.1 sets things right.. altho they are already at a RC.. yikes

Oh, and just to clear things up regarding the price, i chatted to an Adobe representative (the chat thingy on their website)
It seems an electronic download is GST Free.... so... an electronic copy is neither a good or a product... eh..? either way, there is not GST applied to an electronic download.
Paying full price of $205 will get you [not so] exclusive access to a pretty box and even prettier CD... so if u wanna pay and extra $18 for a box and CD.. know what you are paying for.. tho still sux that aust is paying more than americans... but isn't that with pretty much everything thats imported.. oh wells..

WorkingClassHero
14-04-2012, 7:58pm
I wasn't particularly having performance issues, but the upgrade to 4.1 does seem a bit quicker.

Tonbi
31-07-2012, 4:08pm
Digital download is now $149.00 USD, which is the cheapest I can find it, and that is from the Adobe store