PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to trade up to the 5D MKIII?

GrahamS
04-03-2012, 2:00pm
Seeing as how Canon have announced the 5D MKIII, how many of us will trade up to the new model? As for myself I am more than happy with my 5D MKII, it does all I want from it as i mainly shot Portraits and Landscapes the (slow?) AF does not worry me.
I see the MKIII as basically a full frame 7D. Sure it would be great to have electronic leveling (for those early morning sunrises)
100% viewfinder, definitely a plus but then again you get used to allowing a bit more when you look through the MKII finder.
6 frames a second, not for Landscapes or Portraits.
I dont use video so the specs for video are redundant for me.
Same goes for the uprated 61 pt. 41 cross referenced AF points, not reqiured.
Dual card slots, Ive never run out of space yet.
So basically will I upgrade and pay the asking price of $3600 body only...........no way, I think they will bury me with my 5D MKII. Maybe for new full frame purchasers or Pros that can claim it for tax purposes but for those of us that have a MKII I dont see the need to upgrade.
Thats my opinion on the new 5D, love to get your thoughts.
Cheers.

Bear Dale
04-03-2012, 2:19pm
I won't be. I'm more than happy with my 5DMKII.

There's nothing that the 5DMKIII has that will dramatically improve anything for me. It's made my 5DMKII just as valuable to me as it was before the release of the new model. Now I can sit back and enjoy my 5DMKII for the next 3 years and really get great value for money from it and see what the 5DMKIV has to offer in 2015.

JM Tran
04-03-2012, 2:50pm
my twin pair of 5D2s were only a stop-gap work horse camera for me for the last 2 years. Not 100% happy with it, when it came to high noise control and dynamic range it couldnt compare to D3/700s

I will be keeping one as back up and will be looking at the new 1DX, D4, D800 or 5D3 as a replacement.

most features in the 5D3 has is what should have been in the 5D2 - especially dual card slots. This is a very important feature for working professionals for data back up/redundancy when shooting for clients, especially things like weddings in case of card failure or loss.

camerasnoop
04-03-2012, 3:28pm
most features in the 5D3 has is what should have been in the 5D2 - especially dual card slots. This is a very important feature for working professionals for data back up/redundancy when shooting for clients, especially things like weddings in case of card failure or loss.

Couldn't agree more.

Cris
04-03-2012, 3:42pm
Most likely no- but that is more a cost/benefit decision than anything else.

Xenedis
04-03-2012, 3:50pm
I cannot see any reason to upgrade.

Like Graham, I shoot 'scapes and 'traits (and still-life), and while the AF system in the 5D3 is a significant improvement over the 5D2's AF system, for what I'm doing, it's not going to make much of a difference.

I tend not to get trapped by technology upgrade cycles.

If the ocean didn't destroy my original, 2006-vintage 5D in 2010, I'd probably still be using that.

My 5D2 is more than capable enough for the kind of photography in which I engage.

It won't turn to mustard because a successor has been announced.

Just as well, as I'd rather be out shooting than worrying about upgrades and throwing a lot of money at something which isn't going to make me a better photographer, or my images better.

If I was in the market for a camera, tha 5D3 would be the likely contender. Naturally I'd prefer an EOS-1DX, but there's a significant price difference between them.

bxaftw
04-03-2012, 4:47pm
i wont be trading up as such as i will keep and continue using my 7d, but i will be purchasing one after the frenzy has died down sometime later in the year.
i want to get the best out of my lenses and i think the 5d3 will do this. to be truthfull, ive always been a little dissapointed with the iso performance of the 7d, and this is where the 5d3 excels, high iso looks immaculate. plus the better dynamic range over the 7d will be great.
i was considering a 5d2 as they are now coming down in price, but there's just too much improvement in technology over the 4 years that makes paying more for the 5d3 worthwhile.

Mary Anne
04-03-2012, 5:24pm
I am not the least interested I am happy enough with my one, even if its two years old.
My next camera purchase will be the successor to the 7D when ever that comes out, next year maybe ?

William
04-03-2012, 6:11pm
:D If I were you guys I'd be happy with what you've got , I'm still making do with the 30D :( But I must admit it is still a great workhorse , No Bells and whistles camera , I dont need a Horizon leveler or Video , But I do still plan to get a Full frame in the near future , I'm with the other guys , I dont need a Gazillion frames per/sec or umpteen focus points for what I do , The reduced price of the MkII sounds good , And It's a proven item :)

Bennymiata
04-03-2012, 6:42pm
I currently have a 60D, and I'm quite happy with it, but I'm itching to get a FF to improve the noise that I get on long, dark exposures.
While I mainly use manual focus, the 5D2 would be adequate for me, and it's now quite cheap at just under $2K delivered, grey, I will buy a 5d3 probably around July when most of the hoopla has died down and the second or third lot has been manufactured.
While I don't do a lot of action photography, I do like to do some, and the new focussing system really appealls to me.
While I would love a 1Dx, my wife wouldn't like the price, but to me, the 5D3 is a more or less cut-down version of the 1Dx, and to me, it seems good value.
From some of the reports I've read about it from people that have used it so far, the 5D3 is a big step up in noise control and high ISO shooting, and I think this is worth the difference in price along with the newer technology and features.
While I don't do a lot of video, I do some, and would love the extra control the 3 has, and I would probably end up doing more video with the 3 than I do with the 60D.

The other point is, down the road when it comes time to sell, you'll get a lot more for the 3 than you would for the 2, and it will be easier to sell, and I like to have the latest technology.

Just my 2c worth.

Bennymiata
05-03-2012, 2:12pm
Adorama in the US has a great special on new 5D2's right now.
For US$2100 you get the camera, a genuine extra battery + an aftermarket grip + 8gig CF card and some production software all thrown in.

Sounds like a very good deal to me..................................

KeeFy
05-03-2012, 3:32pm
I'd love to really get my hands on both the 1Dx and 5D3 to really compare. Essentially the 5D3 seems to fulfill everythign i need which includes clean high iso. The extra bits for the 1Dx doesn't seem so tempting now, including the extra bulk from the 1Dx also is a downer. The 5d3 really is a event photographer's dream. :) Considering picking one up in April via grey.

etherial
05-03-2012, 8:35pm
I'll consider it for sure.

I have a 7D and 50D and while they are great cameras I am a bit of a pixel peeper (I know, but I just can't help it!) and I'm not thrilled by the images out of my 7D, it seems to be difficult to nail that sweetspot regularly, whereas the 50D and more so my old 450D came out very nice. I still look at some of the images from my old 450 and go WOW!

So for me, the 5DMk3 offers:

Full frame (yay!)
Hopefully clearer pixels than my 7D and especially better low light/high ISO performance and 22MP against 18, not that it is a big deal MPs aren't everything but I'll take em!
61pt AF would be a nice upgrade from the 7D, good for my moving animals
Dual card slots is a big winner for me, I stress so much with the 7D about having a card failure etc and with an SD card slot I could use an eye-fi card
More auto bracketing capabilities
Full wireless control of the 600EX strobes (when I buys some!)
Quiet mode would be good, if I could still use it at 6fps no sadly only to 3fps, another issue with my 7D, it is rather loud!
In camera rating of pics I think I would use, if not for markers if nothing else
Edit to add, better control of auto ISO including setting min and max and minimum shutter speed! Nikon have had this for a while and I have needed this feature SO many times!

Negatives for me:

I go from 8fps to 6fps, bit of a bummer for some stuff I do, I'll have to try some with my 50D and see if I can live with that speed drop.
No on board flash for triggering my existing strobes which works nicely on my 7D, just an excuse to buy some 600's!
Price!
Of course, given my wish list I should just get a 1DX, but that is just a crazy price, too much for me :eek:

Bennymiata
05-03-2012, 10:19pm
And don't forget about some of the other features of the 5D3 like multiple exposures (up to 9 shots), extended bracketing (2,3,5 or 7 shots), and built-in variable HDR mode using 2-5 images + more.

Help!
I'm salivating over the keyboard already! :eek:

Some of the shots I've seen taken at ISO 25,600 are pretty good too and very useable.

You could take a shot of a black cat in a coal bin at midnight without a flash!

bushbikie
06-03-2012, 1:12am
I'll stick with the 5dII for a while - I'm a looooonng way from exceeding it's capabilities :D

just rollin
06-03-2012, 2:32am
I just wish I could buy a 1Dx with out the video for the price of the 5DIII id be all over it all the video stuff is just a waste of time for me.
I do Like the new 5 though

ashey
06-03-2012, 2:40am
Looks like it will be a good camera but I will stick with my mk11 does what I bought if for and will be with me for some time yet, buy the way it is cheaper than what I paid for my mk11 have found it for $3045 body only or $3728 with 24.105L at outbackphoto, but I am thinking of getting a 1D mkiv for birding the price has dropped heaps have found it for $3695 now just have to convince the finance manager:lol2:

LJG
06-03-2012, 7:45am
Same as others I am more than happy with my 5D2. If I was going to sell it and invest in a new one I would sooner put the money towards more glass.

Dylan & Marianne
07-03-2012, 4:46pm
happy with my current 5dmkII and it will still continue to get used
the 5dmkIII will however replace my 7D when Marianne and go on our photographic holidays
the main reason : images we have chosen for display are split quite evenly between the 5dmkII and 7D (ie. composition etc doesn't matter what camera you're using) however, the limitations of the 7D in terms of image clarity, high iso ability and the fact that you can't get a 10mm focal length lens for crop sensors that goes wide open to F2.8 has led to a few frustrations at many scenes for the one who's got the 7D for the day.

2 stops difference in high iso capability also opens up a whole new world of possibilities for night images too

Cage
07-03-2012, 9:25pm
*removed. post was reported as being off-topic and just trying to inflame a brand argument*

Xenedis
07-03-2012, 10:10pm
the fact that you can't get a 10mm focal length lens for crop sensors that goes wide open to F2.8 has led to a few frustrations at many scenes for the one who's got the 7D for the day.

For landscape work, why would you need f/2.8? My ultra-wide lens is f/2.8, but I rarely ever use it wide-open.

KeeFy
07-03-2012, 10:59pm
Dtoh: 11-16 f2.8? Might not be 10mm but 11 is as close as you can get ! :D

Anyway 5Dm3 is out for preorders from DWI! I'm thinking if i should preorder it or wait for the first batch to clear before i get it :/ There's always some form of an issue with the first batch as with everything.

Tannin
08-03-2012, 1:59am
I'm with the majority here: I'm not going to upgrade.

I respect the very, very significant advances of the Mark III in build quality and AF system; the AF improvement in particular is massive and long overdue. Further, much of the photography I do would benefit from these things. But precisely because the older 5D Mark II has those weaknesses, I have other cameras for tasks that need super-fast AF and top-end features (1D IV and 7D), and use the 5D II almost exclusively for landscapes. Outside of New Zealand, landscapes don't move around much and I don't really need a top class AF system for them. So what would be the point of upgrading?

All that notwithstanding, I reckon the 5D III will be extraordinarily successful over the longer term. It looks like being a wonderful camera and, for what it is, quite reasonably priced.

MJay
08-03-2012, 3:14am
An interesting question both for those with a 5D and those looking to buy into the full frame market.

From someone who is looking to go full frame at some stage this year and upgrade from a 400D, the 5D mark III is incredibly tempting. But one can't help but think of the savings one could make by purchasing the cheaper yet extremely capable mark ii (which would still be a considerable step up from wht I currently have). Could certainly buy some nice accessories with the spare 1.5-2k extra cash, whether it's a single L lens or a bunch of smaller items like high speed cards and flash units or a quality tripod... I certainly wouldn't have any trouble spending it.

Ideally I'd like to buy a 5d Mark iii after a few batches have been shipped and of course assuming the reviews are good. And then down the track buy whatever succeeds the current 7d as a high quality backup/2nd Camera to replace my aging and somewhat lacking 400D. I'm increasingly finding it would be incredibly handy to have 2 bodies.

The other big issue will be how long new 5D mark ii's are available for.

Lots of pondering and saving to do.

Dylan & Marianne
08-03-2012, 8:25am
For landscape work, why would you need f/2.8? My ultra-wide lens is f/2.8, but I rarely ever use it wide-open.

John - nearly all of my night star freeze images are taken at 2.8 with the 5dmkII
Going by the ability to freeze stars with an exposure of 500/focal length (full frame) - iso1600 F2.8 30 seconds at 16mm is as far as I want to push a landscape image in terms of exposure and high iso noise ( higher and it can look great on web but pretty crappy on print!) Going any longer in focal length and stars move even with those settings, so higher iso clean-ness would be fab . Also, I shoot alot of bridal waltzes wide at iso1600-3200 wide open if I want natural light and frozen motion too.

And Keefy, not sure why I haven't considered the tokina before! for some reason I keep thinking it can't have filters screwed on but pretty sure that's another lens I'm thinking of. but the night shooting of the 7D at higher iso's is a deal breaker and we found that out most spectacularly so when shooting auroras in iceland. I know I don't shoot auroras for a living (would love to) but both of us being able to shoot at night without having to do very long exposures would certainly motivate the other who presently doesn't have the 5dmkII!

Dylan & Marianne
08-03-2012, 9:28am
oops , couldn't edit but I forgot to add, I'm happy with the 5dmkII, looking to replace the 7D!

here's a few examples where the 7D would struggle

Some examples :
http://www.everlookphotography.com/Australia/South-Australia/i-rkLwLLs/0/M/Port-WillungaFebruary0545-M.jpg
iso1600, F2.8 30 seconds :
Try with the 7D : iso1600 = ugh, F2.8 (I'd need to get tokina lol), why not longer than 30 seconds at a smaller aperture that the 10-20 has - you end up with half movement of the stars = ugh

http://www.everlookphotography.com/Clients/Jane/i-xc3gGHR/0/M/JMwedding212224D-M.jpg
iso3200, F3.2, 1/100
Try with the 7D : iso 3200 = killa!, slower shutter? blurred subjects, faster shutter with flash = lose natural light

All of the frames for the timelapses shot at upward of 1600 iso wide open as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KewgmRMwRkc

All three are things I'd like to do more of and already do lots of - so for me , good reasons to at least get a second 5dmkII to replace the 7d, and since with the mkIII fixes, I've taken a punt with it

Cage
08-03-2012, 8:58pm
*removed. post was reported as being off-topic and just trying to inflame a brand argument*

How petty ! It was an open question, so was not 'off topic'.

And there was no intent on my part to
inflame a brand argumentIt was meant as a tongue in cheek comment from someone who is quite happy to be with a minor player in the camera world, and who sometimes looks at what the canikon people are being offered with more than a little envy.

My only peeve with Canon is that they left me stranded with a lot of FD lens, and yes, I know there are adaptors.

Xenedis
08-03-2012, 9:51pm
John - nearly all of my night star freeze images are taken at 2.8 with the 5dmkII

Fair enough; that makes sense.

ricktas
08-03-2012, 10:09pm
How petty ! It was an open question, so was not 'off topic'.

And there was no intent on my part toIt was meant as a tongue in cheek comment from someone who is quite happy to be with a minor player in the camera world, and who sometimes looks at what the canikon people are being offered with more than a little envy.

My only peeve with Canon is that they left me stranded with a lot of FD lens, and yes, I know there are adaptors.

Your post was reported by several members who felt you were just having a go at their choice of Canon. Therefore I removed your post, cause although it may not have been your intention, it was received that way.

fabian628
11-03-2012, 9:27pm
it looks like a nice camera. I prefer faster fps so i am happy with 1d3 and 5d2 combo at the moment.
However for a single camera is looks very nice. Personally i prefer 1d cameras and probably would spend the money on a 1ds3.

Tony B
17-03-2012, 6:19pm
Happy with 1DmkIII & 5D. May opt for a 5DII as it is now almost half the price of 5DIII. I put aside $3500 for a 5Diii but will not pay $4400. I'd rather go up to the 1DIV for that amount of cash (+a bit) but I can't see where for me I am going to gain over the 1DIII for a pay out of approx $3000.

keithinmelbourne
17-03-2012, 10:02pm
I don't think I know enough about the MkIII to make a decision. When the dust and price have settled it might be a good upgrade. I currently have a 1Ds3 and a 5D2, therefore the 5D3 may not be enough of a leap. I would seriously think about the 1DX, but only when it settles into a reasonable price range. I must say that neither has me salivating enough to pay an early adopter premium, which is a good thing;)

Tricky
19-03-2012, 11:50pm
Whilst no doubt a great camera, I couldnt justify it over a 5d2. A lot of my shooting is manual focus (macro and TSE-17) or doesn't require fast focus (landscapes), which is probably where he 5d3 has the biggest edge over the 5d2.

KeeFy
20-03-2012, 4:22pm
I did a quick run around sydney getting prices. $3872 from Gorges and Digidirect. $3520 after 10%.

I'm buying from a B&M! :)

The prices are so much more realistic after nikon actually made the price move.

Tony B
22-03-2012, 2:10pm
Price now dropped to $1600 more than 5DII. Think I'll have a 5DII & 14 days in Bali to practice using it..

KeeFy
22-03-2012, 3:31pm
I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. Untill i heard that the prices will come down really quickly soon. So i reckon 1 to 2 month wait is worth a hundred + in savings :)

Bercy
22-03-2012, 5:16pm
I have a 40D that I still think is quite new! I tend to use it as a camera, not an alarm clock, personal organiser and mix master. One day some one will invent a camera with a manual focus, aperture ring and shutter speed, and maybe ISO. That would be scary! :eek: WIth film it was pretty much all about the glass, but I guess it is not so easy now and the relationship between the glass, the sensor and the black box purports to faithfully record what the sensor reads, is more important. I have to be content with what I have but hope those acquiring the Mark3 have a camera that lives up to the price tag!

agb
22-03-2012, 6:52pm
The 5DIII seems to me to almost have the best features of the 5DII and the 7D combined in a single full frame camera.
But now that I have the 7D I will have to stick with it and its limitations.

Dylan & Marianne
22-03-2012, 11:34pm
hmm I just got mine today , took a few pictures in RAW , tried to have a look at them in CS5 and LR3 - no go grrrrr
temporary solution is to use adobe RAW converter 6.7 - patiently waiting for an update............

JM Tran
22-03-2012, 11:51pm
or use DNG converter to convert it to DNG and open them in existing programs.

etherial
23-03-2012, 8:13am
hmm I just got mine today , took a few pictures in RAW , tried to have a look at them in CS5 and LR3 - no go grrrrr
temporary solution is to use adobe RAW converter 6.7 - patiently waiting for an update............

LR4 which has just been released I believe supports the 5D3 and Photoshop CS6 beta has also just been released.

surfrider
23-03-2012, 8:41am
Just upgraded from 5D to 5D3 and amazing ISO performance I have to say. Looking forward to this weekend to give it good test run.

agb
23-03-2012, 10:16am
LR4 which has just been released I believe supports the 5D3 and Photoshop CS6 beta has also just been released.

LR4 probably only works if you download the ACR6.7 beta update, which is a temporary camera raw update until the ACR7 comes out when the full version of CS6 arrives in a few weeks.

JODEAN
23-03-2012, 4:19pm
I would like to get myself a 5DMk3, but that would mean selling my 1DMk2n & I just don't know. Would the upgrade be significant enough as I do like to shoot action eg BMX racing. What are your thoughts???

Dean.

boggo
24-03-2012, 12:24am
just picked up my 5d3 this afternoon. Had a few shots in the back yard and so far so good. feels like a decent improvment so far after a quick few shots.

TEITZY
27-03-2012, 5:01pm
I would like to get myself a 5DMk3, but that would mean selling my 1DMk2n & I just don't know. Would the upgrade be significant enough as I do like to shoot action eg BMX racing. What are your thoughts???

Dean.

Dean from all reports the 5D3 AF is on par with the 1D4 and some say initial focus aquisition is even quicker so I'm sure it will be fine for action. Looks like a great all-round camera.

Cheers
Leigh

darylcheshire
30-03-2012, 12:48am
Yeah I got one today as I said in a thread elsewhere. I'll look forward to using it over Easter.
What I like about it so far is the very advanced AF compared to the Mk II.
I haven't done much low light photography yet but looking forward to skulking in the dark with the 50mm f/1.2L
I had the 5D and the Mk II and traded the 5D for the 70-300mm L and then realised that I 'needed' another body rather than swap lenses around.
I like the solid feel and don't have to put up with the squeaky grip of the MkII. I also like the shutter noise. The MkII had a whine to it. The MkIII has a mechanical echo quality to it. Like it's at the bottom of a tube.
(until the meds kick in)

vk2gwk
03-04-2012, 10:05am
Just upgraded to the Mark III and am very very happy...... For results have a look at my most recent Flickr postings.... (http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk2gwk/6885158370/in/photostream/)

Bennymiata
03-04-2012, 10:12am
I'm still going to wait a couple more months before I get a 5D3.

My 60D is still taking great pictures, but the shutter count is certainly geting up there now at just over 50,000 actuations.

bouwy
03-04-2012, 7:29pm
Love to up grade to 5D MK3, but I run out of money :D

darylcheshire
04-04-2012, 9:45pm
In the last couple of days I've been playing with the focus settings, I live next to the beach and I've been practising BIF shots on seagulls with the 400mm f/5.6L.
On the 61 focus point settings, a seagull flies from one side to another and the viewfinder shows a row of little boxes which tracks the movement.
I end up with about 200 photos of seagulls and a picture of a magpie seizing an insect in it's beak.

Arg
06-04-2012, 4:33pm
Remember the old maxim for trading up within the same model range?

"Never upgrade for just one generation out of date". So 5D2 owners, hold onto your wallets. 5D owners, hmmm....

flashc
07-04-2012, 2:53pm
I bought my 7D nearly two years as I didn't want to wait for the 5D II replacement.

Now that I've used my 7D for over 40,000 shots, I think it's a great camera, feels good in the hand and has a built in flash for those occasions when you need just a little more light. Too bad Canon didn't stick a small flash on top as Nikon did on the D800.
I like my 100% field of view and clear viewfinder. The controls are mostly where I want them. I'd like a better display (5D III has it) and it would be good if it could rotate.

The 5d III seems to be the camera I've been waiting for but... I'm about to buy a 5D II for about $2000.
In some areas, this will be a downgrade for me but I don't like the high ISO performance and dynamic range on my 7D. I don't want to sit in front of a computer and have to rescue and post process high ISO shots and shots into the sun. I think the 5D II and 5D III will be much better. 5D III - too expensive in Australia.

vk2gwk
07-04-2012, 4:43pm
Remember the old maxim for trading up within the same model range?

"Never upgrade for just one generation out of date". So 5D2 owners, hold onto your wallets. 5D owners, hmmm....

I followed my own judgment instead of maxims and have no regret whatsoever... Just started my second week with the 5D3 and it is soooo much better than the 5D2... High Iso performance is only a minor element but the 61 point AF system is excellent and in itself worth the upgrade... Still getting the hang of it, because it is not easy but has great potential for shooting things like sports and birds (the one with feathers... :) ).

phild
07-04-2012, 11:05pm
2 stops difference in high iso capability also opens up a whole new world of possibilities for night images too That will be the clincher for me, from comparisons I've seen, the 5DIII produces noticeably more detail than the II, plus I seem to have read somewhere the new DPP wil have something to correct for edge softness. The switch to wireless flash is underwhelming considering you still need to buy an adapter to utilise wireless on the new flashes.

bouwy
10-04-2012, 10:19am
I agree with GrahamS. I LUV my 5DMK@ and 7D, however reading all the reviews, seeing some of the shots, it's perhaps time to look into getting one. Now when is the next Tatts Jackpot....

Arg
10-04-2012, 3:36pm
... plus I seem to have read somewhere the new DPP wil have something to correct for edge softness....

Well, not exactly edge softness, but "spherical aberration, chromatic aberration, astigmatism, curvature of field, sagittal halo, chromatic aberration of magnification, axial chromatic aberration, diffraction, and the effects of a low-pass filter in front of the CMOS sensor".

Mind you the files will be 2x to 3x larger than the Canon raw files, and will not be usable with anything else eg Lightroom or Photoshop.

Longshots
12-04-2012, 9:34pm
the patch (6.7 beta raw is easily downloaded) so whats the problem ?

I've read a few people say that the 5dmk3 is what the 5dmk2 should have been and I'm sorry but I see no logic in that comment. The 5dmk1 was updated 3 years later by the 5dmk2 and was a substantial improvement. And then the 5Dmk3 turns up 3 year after the mk2 became available. The 5dmk3 from a full time pros point of view is a huge improvement with so many new additions that its just not credible to highlight anyone in particular. Would I have liked an increased file size as well - personally yes. But the other issues, including the very needed improvement in high iso performance (and let me assure you that the 400iso on the 5dmk2 is similar to the 3200iso performance on the 5dmk3) is very welcomed.

I just made the error in going camping for a week and forgetting my books. All I had with me was the instruction manual for the new 5Dmk3 - and I'm not a regular reader of the manuals - in this case, I was soooo glad I have read it to understand what a huge jump in capabilities there are in the mk3 version.

For me its a work issue, and thats why I'm so happy with it. I'm also painfully aware of what I've paid for previous 5D's, the original Canon D30, and D60 and all of the 1DS series, and none of them have been of the build quality and value for money that the new 5D is. And this is from someone who was seriously on the edge of moving back to Nikon.

I @ M
13-04-2012, 4:25am
For me its a work issue, and thats why I'm so happy with it. I'm also painfully aware of what I've paid for previous 5D's, the original Canon D30, and D60 and all of the 1DS series, and none of them have been of the build quality and value for money that the new 5D is. And this is from someone who was seriously on the edge of moving back to Nikon.

I'm not about to change brands and buy a 5D MK111 but William's post sums it up well, Canon and just about every other maker seems to be continuing on a path of evolution in many areas. For people working with a MK11 and progressing with the MK111 it seems a very logical step. They have the latest technology available, presumably the MK11 has paid for itself from the work it has done and at the 3 - 4 year cycle mark is probably nearing the point where it will need repairs of some sort.
For a hobbyist, the advances are either what they want or irrelevant depending on the style of photography that they are doing and many will be able to keep using a MK11 satisfactorily for quite a long time.
As for the pricing, I really can't see that cameras are disgustingly expensive at the moment, as William said, look back at the amounts paid in the past for bodies, the offerings of today are incredibly good value in my mind.

JM Tran
13-04-2012, 12:24pm
I'm not about to change brands and buy a 5D MK111 but William's post sums it up well, Canon and just about every other maker seems to be continuing on a path of evolution in many areas. For people working with a MK11 and progressing with the MK111 it seems a very logical step. They have the latest technology available, presumably the MK11 has paid for itself from the work it has done and at the 3 - 4 year cycle mark is probably nearing the point where it will need repairs of some sort.
For a hobbyist, the advances are either what they want or irrelevant depending on the style of photography that they are doing and many will be able to keep using a MK11 satisfactorily for quite a long time.
As for the pricing, I really can't see that cameras are disgustingly expensive at the moment, as William said, look back at the amounts paid in the past for bodies, the offerings of today are incredibly good value in my mind.

very good value for what you are getting IMO

ppl tend to forget the original 5D back in 2005 was just a tad over 5 grand, and that was the cheapest full frame we could get back then. I paid 3 grand for a 2nd hand 1DsMKII a few years ago and back at the end of 2004 it was just over 10 grand.......

Bear Dale
13-04-2012, 1:58pm
The internet is on fire this morning with threads popping up all over photography sites about Canon doing a complete recall on all 5DMKIII bodies and halting all shipments to retailers.

It started off on Canon Rumours and spread like wild fire.

Surely this couldn't be true??

Arg
13-04-2012, 2:27pm
The internet is on fire this morning with threads popping up all over photography sites about Canon doing a complete recall on all 5DMKIII bodies and halting all shipments to retailers.

It started off on Canon Rumours and spread like wild fire.

Surely this couldn't be true??

Well for a start, it is not on canonrumors at this moment?.....

There is a delay on shipments.... probably just to get the firmware updated.

Bear Dale
13-04-2012, 2:33pm
Well for a start, it is not on canonrumors at this moment?.....

He changed the heading not long ago and he states in the last line of the first paragraph -

I changed the title of this post from “recall” to “stock delayed”.

But the fire has been lit.

Bennymiata
13-04-2012, 5:03pm
Nothing unusual for a complex camera like the 5D3 to have some minor glitches, like having an issue with a couple lenses in their vast range.
Most of the comments i've seen form users has been very positive indeed.

Canon rumours have also announced the release of the new EOS1D-C which is basically a 1Dx that can take 4K video, and full HD movies at up to 60 FPS.

Looks like it is bristling with buttons too, and I guess at the US$15K asking price, may be it should have even more!

Bear Dale
13-04-2012, 5:45pm
Looks like it is bristling with buttons too, and I guess at the US$15K asking price, may be it should have even more!

Yeah...OMG how are the buttons on that thing!

Bennymiata
15-04-2012, 8:53pm
Check it out.
Courtesy of Canon Rumours.

mikew09
15-04-2012, 9:15pm
When I wear out my 50D (that I love by the way) will be going full frame and the 5D3 is just the ticket for what I want in a FF. The 50D is a great camera but is a bugger with higher ISO's and can be a challenge to use for low light and those longer exposure. I figure I will go with the 5D3 in the next 12 - 18 months once I have saved some cash and the price has settled a bit.

enduro
31-05-2012, 11:44pm
got one coming!

smc
03-06-2012, 6:03pm
Picked mine up today in the 24-105mm kit.
Bloody uncharged batteries ......
Looks nice though

kobeson
04-06-2012, 11:35am
Picked up my 5D3 last friday, sold my 550D + 3 lenses after I got home, bro in law wanted it all!

Man this camera is light years ahead of my 550D - makes it feel like I just bought my first camera and had been playing with a toy for the past 2 years.

Damn Sigma 50 lens needed +20 MA though, might have to return it I think. But am loving the 5D3!!

enduro
04-06-2012, 2:21pm
Picked up my 5D3 last friday, sold my 550D + 3 lenses after I got home, bro in law wanted it all!

Man this camera is light years ahead of my 550D - makes it feel like I just bought my first camera and had been playing with a toy for the past 2 years.

Damn Sigma 50 lens needed +20 MA though, might have to return it I think. But am loving the 5D3!!

I wouldn't worry about the +20 MA, that's within the normal range. All of my Canon and Sigma lenses are in the +15 - +25 range.

etherial
04-06-2012, 7:15pm
What is the range of the 5D3 micro adjust? I think it only goes to +-20 on my 7D.

enduro
04-06-2012, 8:00pm
What is the range of the 5D3 micro adjust? I think it only goes to +-20 on my 7D.

My bad, my lenses are +5 to +15.

7D has MA range of -20/+20

kobeson
05-06-2012, 11:22am

Same -20 to +20

acko
06-06-2012, 12:36am
Hmmm....well maybe I will wait a little while before I buy my Mk111 then

Arg
06-06-2012, 12:48am
Hmmm....well maybe I will wait a little while before I buy my Mk111 then

because...?

selaw
08-06-2012, 1:31pm
I'm cameraless at the moment (just sold my 1D MkIII) and wanting to go full frame for the first time, I find myself hovering over an "add to cart" button now on a 5d MkIII ... :crossed:

Bennymiata
09-06-2012, 5:26pm
I ordered my new 5D3 this morning from my local Myers store!
$4529.00, 3 months interest free, and they also gave me $160 worth of Myer gift cards to go with it, so it works out at $4369!
I also ordered the grip to go with it, for $360, but the guy said he's not sure of they can get this item as it is not on their product list, but we'll see what happens.

Been looking around for a couple of months for the best deal for a genuine Aussie model, and this was the best deal I could find.

I hope to pick it up on Friday.

My 60D has well over 50,000 actuations, so it will become my second body now.
It's served me well for last 18 months or so.

I've got a job to do next Saturday, so I'm now tossing up if I should do it with my new 5D3 or just use the 60D as I am so familiar with it.
What do you guys think I should use?
It's a party of around 160 people and I'll be taking some short videos using my wifes G1X, and the stills with either the 60Dor 5D3 to make up a nice video/picture presentation.

etherial
09-06-2012, 5:34pm
I ordered my new 5D3 this morning from my local Myers store!
$4529.00, 3 months interest free, and they also gave me $160 worth of Myer gift cards to go with it, so it works out at $4369!

Really? Over $4000? Camera House has it off the shelf for $3999.

And for grey market they are under $3400 at various places. (which I understand if you don't want to go that way but I'd rather take the chance for $600 in my pocket).

Bennymiata
09-06-2012, 6:41pm
Sorry, it was $3,529, NOT $4,329.00.
I sitll think for a local delivered and warranted camera, this is a great deal.
And buying from Myer, if I don't like it, I can return in 30 days and get my money back!

selaw
10-06-2012, 8:37am
Sorry, it was $3,529, NOT $4,329.00.
I sitll think for a local delivered and warranted camera, this is a great deal.
And buying from Myer, if I don't like it, I can return in 30 days and get my money back!

That sounds like a MUCH better price and I would consider exceptional for local market. I hope you get to enjoy it by next weekend :) On the job front I would stick with familiararity & confidence, take shots with the 5D3 in between and drown yourself with 5D3 practice afterwards in spare time.

mikew09
10-06-2012, 9:08am
I have be tossing this around my head for a while and was considering waiting for the price drop to come on the 5D2 but since my buddy bought a 5D3 - Yes upgrading in the mid term once the dust settles bugs have been ironed out, not there is many. My budder bought his about a month ago maybe and it is a solid and sound performer and incredible noise control at very high ISO's, and I mean amazing. The focus system is superb and is one reason that made me wait to see what the 5D3 specs would bring as I do a lot of horse even photography.
So YES, probably within the next months.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got a job to do next Saturday, so I'm now tossing up if I should do it with my new 5D3 or just use the 60D as I am so familiar with it.
What do you guys think I should use?
It's a party of around 160 people and I'll be taking some short videos using my wifes G1X, and the stills with either the 60Dor 5D3 to make up a nice video/picture presentation.

I have hand my 50D for about 18 months now and am pretty familiar with it but when playing with my buddies 5D3 for a while I soon realized it is quite a different beast, exposure evaluation is far more accurate so less forgiving and the focus system fantastic but takes a bit to get used to the usage.

There some key benefits too, low light and noise control to are least but of no value if you can manage the features. If you plan to use the 5D3, in my experience, spend some time really getting know it first.

selaw
10-06-2012, 8:02pm
5D3 ordered and hopefully stumbling my way through it by end of next week :th3:

julescardinale
11-06-2012, 3:48pm
The 5D mk II is a great camera, I upgraded because I found the speed of capturing with the type of photography I do to be a bit slow (as far as focusing on an area of the subject). What i find is, it feels like a very different camera its even slightly quicker focusing than the 7D (which i own), a spruced up 7D with full frame IQ. The IQ is only slightly better at normal ISO than the 5D mk ii and significantly better at higher ( above 1600), but then the 5D mkII as far as image quality is excellent, especially for the price. For me I find I am capturing many more photos where the focus is just right. The camera is a joy to use it feels just right as a tool to capture the moment.:)

selaw
15-06-2012, 8:26pm
5D3 ordered and hopefully stumbling my way through it by end of next week :th3:

Well, It's the end of the following week and took hold of the 5D3 this afternoon. Time to start stumbling my way through it :)

van kent
18-06-2012, 6:27pm
Only being an enthusiast myself, I find the MkII is more than enough to suit my needs at the moment. Maybe once the new model has been out for a while and it comes down in price, although by then they will probably have come up with an upgrade to the MkIII!

enduro
18-06-2012, 10:29pm
The only dissappointment I have with the 5D MkIII is that it will not AF with a TC when the total sum f/ adds up to f/8.

Though I had not done my research on that aspect I was really hoping that it would as other full frame bodies had.

Bennymiata
19-06-2012, 9:56am
Got my 5D3 yesterday afternnon.
Now all I need is time to start playing with it!

Doesn't feel much bigger in the hand than my 60D does, but it feels good to hold.

flashc
22-06-2012, 12:51am
Hi...

Do you mean it won't autofocus with a Canon 2x teleconvertor on an f4 lens.

enduro
22-06-2012, 1:32am
Hi...

Do you mean it won't autofocus with a Canon 2x teleconvertor on an f4 lens.

Not sure about that, but it will not focus with a f/5.6 and 1.4TC. I'm sure it will be same with the set up you describe.