PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

Epicaricacy
01-03-2012, 2:22am
howdy folks,

I run by the name of Epicaricacy, a name I have used othe Internet and for gaming for years. I initially used it as a n AFL Dreamteam name, as it means 'to take pleasure in other people's misfortune', which was perfection for competitions and PS3 gaming. It is not a philosophy I buy into normally, but it is a name that is rarely taken when I sign up for websites (although someone beat me to it on Twitter and Words with Friends)!

I have been interested in photography for years, and got my first SLR about 20 ago. At the time I was more interested in happy snaps using full auto, as all the dials looked confusing, and of course there was no Internet to turn to for help then!

I got my first digital camera in 2002, when my son was born ( a canon S3, it actually took great photos with very little noise), but in 2007 I got my first Dslr, a 400d.

At the time I was unaware of the differing quality of lenses etc, so was happy to trundle along with the kit lenses, amazed at the quality difference the SLR gave me. It was around this time that my interest in hard drive space increased as well... two young children and a digital camera do wonds for the share prices of hard drive manufacturers! My photos were still family based, and I was still in full auto mode, but was starting to try and at least think a bit more creatively when taking them.

Early last year my interest took a major jump, when I went on a holiday up the coast of WA and was impressed with some of my shots (in hindsight they weren't all that great...) I knew there was something missing with some of them though, where the light wasn't quite right, or the image was a tad grainy, or the ones with a flash sucked becasie of the overexposed front and underexposed backgrounds, so i decided i wanted to fix these problems, and started reading more, and early January I upgraded my camera, buying the 550d body, but investing in a few lenses, the 'nifty fifty', a tamron 28 - 270 and the 24 - 105 f/4 L. I wanted the 7d, but thought the money was better spent on lenses... I also invested in a 530 exii to complement my 480exii, as I wanted to explore off camera flash. Since then I have read as much as I can about everything to do with photography, borrowing all the back issues of magazines from the library, and making sure I understand and can use every function on my camera.

I no longer use auto mode at all, and am trying to improve my technical skills as well as the emotional and artistic side of photography as much as I can before I get too old! I am loving what I am learning, and am glad I found this site. There is something about sharing photos that is special... I love taking photos and then sharing them with people... although I am a bit awed in the company I am surrounded by at the moment!

Thanks for the great site, and whilst I may not always post, I will probably read every post and look at every image uploaded!

Epicaricacy....

ricktas
01-03-2012, 6:28am
Welcome to AP. Enjoy the site.

Wayne63
01-03-2012, 6:31am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums soon

Kym
01-03-2012, 7:48am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

flyreels
01-03-2012, 12:33pm
Welcome its a great place with lots of helpful info, enjoy!
Cheers Peter

Epicaricacy
02-03-2012, 11:14pm
Thanks Kym

Have exposed myself thrice already, twice in NTP and once in candid! Gonna learn more from feedback than from no feedback

selaw
03-03-2012, 8:08pm
Welcome to the site. I look forward to seeing your work soon :)