Thread: Recommendations for printing

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommendations for printing

Hi

In all the years I have been photographing I have never really had the need to print my photos. I have just bought a house and with that I have decided to print a few photos and hang them around my home.

Sizes will range from quite large 30 x 40 to smaller 8 x 10. Subjects will a mixture of portraiture of my wife, travel landscape photos, night lights and colourful architecture

For start can someone recommend the type of print (canvas, framed, metal etc) and secondly recommend an online place I can get them done. I would like quality prints and will pay for the quality.

Thank you advance.

Kel
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broad questions Kel,
    I enjoy printed photos above all else and the majority are done on photographic paper ( I find canvas does not suit my needs ) and the paper varies between matt, gloss and metallic depending on the subject matter. Mounting is once again a very subjective choice, traditional frames work, laminated and slim edged frames work, acrylic mounts with a metallic print look excellent under the right conditions.

Seeing as you have plenty of spare time , the folk at The Edge do an excellent job, located in the 'burbs of Melb and have full online ordering available.

Perhaps drop in on them and have a look at their printing / mounting options.

As with any printing that you are going to undertake, ensure that your monitor / graphics card is calibrated and have a small ( 12 x 18 as an example ) print done to compare their output with what you see at home before committing to an expensive large size print and mounting.

I found that when I recently had the same print done at a Brisbane lab and then at the edge I needed to increase the brightness for the one done by The Edge.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Andrew - some wise words in you response. I will take on your advice and visit the printer to learn a little more about my options. I am planning on printing up at least 6 50cm x 75cm and maybe one larger. The other dozen or so will be smaller portrait formats.

Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Broad questions Kel,
    I enjoy printed photos above all else and the majority are done on photographic paper ( I find canvas does not suit my needs ) and the paper varies between matt, gloss and metallic depending on the subject matter. Mounting is once again a very subjective choice, traditional frames work, laminated and slim edged frames work, acrylic mounts with a metallic print look excellent under the right conditions.

Seeing as you have plenty of spare time , the folk at The Edge do an excellent job, located in the 'burbs of Melb and have full online ordering available.

Perhaps drop in on them and have a look at their printing / mounting options.

As with any printing that you are going to undertake, ensure that your monitor / graphics card is calibrated and have a small ( 12 x 18 as an example ) print done to compare their output with what you see at home before committing to an expensive large size print and mounting.

I found that when I recently had the same print done at a Brisbane lab and then at the edge I needed to increase the brightness for the one done by The Edge.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another (highly recommended )alternative is Prism Imaging in North Melbourne.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Arthur I will look them up

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Another (highly recommended )alternative is Prism Imaging in North Melbourne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delete
    Last edited by scottv69; 21-03-2017 at 12:47pm. Reason: Wrong thread.