Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13

Thread: Questions re printing of photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that JM, It has been a problem with most of the Images that I've had printed also this ratio thing , My son and I shoot with a 30D and 50D , So your saying the native print format is 6x4, 8x12, etc , No cropping , We had a heap of images printed @ 6x8, and 10x8 which was the STD sizes that our printer uses , The first run were all cropped, The second run , all the images fitted in the print but had borders top and bottom, Plus then it was a Nightmare for the Framer with all the different sizes , What I'm saying is how do you standardise your images for printing and framing , Sounds like dont crop, Or if you do keep the ratio all the same ? - Bill
    Last edited by William; 07-11-2011 at 12:29pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    What I'm saying is how do you standardise your images for printing and framing , Sounds like dont crop, Or if you do keep the ratio all the same ? - Bill
    What I do – for digital, I generally "shoot to 5x7", because I print to 5x7 as a standard minimum size for a lot of my bundle work.
    So that means I “see through the viewfinder the scene with a sliver cut off the L&R side edges when holding the DSLR in landscape format.”

On my medium format cameras' screens: I have framing grids for 5x4 and 5x7.
    You can get framing screens for some DSLRs or mark the interchangeable screen yourself, or just generally shoot a bit wide and allow for various crops later.

I’ve shot a whole sessions, using DSLRs to: square format; and others to Widescreen Format (16:9) – it is just a matter of practice of visualizing the final framing.

WW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Thanks for that JM, It has been a problem with most of the Images that I've had printed also this ratio thing , My son and I shoot with a 30D and 50D , So your saying the native print format is 6x4, 8x12, etc , No cropping , We had a heap of images printed @ 6x8, and 10x8 which was the STD sizes that our printer uses , The first run were all cropped, The second run , all the images fitted in the print but had borders top and bottom, Plus then it was a Nightmare for the Framer with all the different sizes , What I'm saying is how do you standardise your images for printing and framing , Sounds like dont crop, Or if you do keep the ratio all the same ? - Bill
    No worries William, it is VERY CONFUSING for the average consumer and client to get their heads around all the ratios and numbers I have to admit, lots of complaints from unknowing customers when I was printing stuff at Camera House years ago!

Anyway your 30D and 50D and pretty much all other modern DSLRs print to a native 3:2 ratio - which accommodates print ratios of

6x4
    6x8
    8x12
    12x18
    30x20
    45x30 (my favourite and most used size at around 114cm x 76cm for clients and myself)
    and so on etc

However, with other types of cameras such as the 4/3 formats and compact cameras, they print to a 4:3 ratio, like my old Olympus EP1 Pen in its native ratio, which can print to

5x7
    8x10
    11x14
    16x20
    40x30
    and so on

For your question, since I mainly use DSLRs for my line of work - I always keep the native ratio of 3:2 standardized for the client to print, even when I crop it in LR it is still cropped to the same ratio. When I use say, a Pentax 645D for work its native ratio is 4:3 so I shoot to that to maximize the amount of details captured instead of cropping to 3:2 - unless the client requested earlier for only 3:2 ratio.

so yeah, hope that helps