Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Reverse ND Grads ?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reverse ND Grads ?

Can anyone recommend a good Reverse ND grad setup?
    I should add that I'm looking for the none screw on type, more the frame mounted style.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Roosta; 06-01-2013 at 5:31pm.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found it Roosta, Even in the "P" Series size , Which is good for me also : http://singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Found it Roosta, Even in the "P" Series size , Which is good for me also : http://singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html
    Love your work.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep the Singh-Ray is probably the one from the better known brands. Hi-Tech make one as well, usually easy to find on E-bay
    Last edited by ricktas; 06-01-2013 at 6:55pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Yep the Singh-Ray is probably the one from the better known brands. Hi-Tech make one as well, usually easy to find on E-bay
    Do you know of a Site Sponsor that sells Singh-Ray mate?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post
    Do you know of a Site Sponsor that sells Singh-Ray mate?
    Hmmm. not of the top of my head, no.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    B&H photo do!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was trolling through the bowels of the internet, and found a post by our Dylan back in 2010 - HERE On Ya Kym.

You can buy here. http://www.teamworkphoto.com/hitech-...5_767_277.html

I have email them to find out cost of delivery, will post their reply.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 4x6inch singh ray reverse grad, it gives a strong color cast. I prefer to use two Lee grads together as a reverse grad. I found a 1.2 hard and 0.3 soft to be a good combo. Position them like this so the dark bits overlap:

Untitled-1.jpg

It gives you basically the same end result as a 0.9 reverse + an 0.3 nd (non grad). below the horizon has 0.3, above the horizon has 1.2 that fades to 0.9 towards the top. You can move them around to adjust the transition.

The downside is it takes up two filter slots, and costs more if you dont already have the grads.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hakka View Post
    I have a 4x6inch singh ray reverse grad, it gives a strong color cast. I prefer to use two Lee grads together as a reverse grad. I found a 1.2 hard and 0.3 soft to be a good combo. Position them like this so the dark bits overlap:

Untitled-1.jpg

It gives you basically the same end result as a 0.9 reverse + an 0.3 nd (non grad). below the horizon has 0.3, above the horizon has 1.2 that fades to 0.9 towards the top. You can move them around to adjust the transition.

The downside is it takes up two filter slots, and costs more if you dont already have the grads.
    Thanks for that, I already have my blisteringly expensive set of 3 x soft grad NDs from Lee so now I can combine them to create the reverse ND effect.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say BH and Teamwork both sell them but you found it already lol
    Hakka's setup is really nice and combining grads is usually the way to go for using reverse GNDs , otherwise you end up with 'apocalyptic' looking skies and foregrounds that just seem way to bright for what they should be ( I often combine the reverse GND with the 2 or 3 stop soft in varying positions hand held )
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also try using your standard grads as reversed std grads.

That is, you place the grad upside down, but use the darkened edge at the line where the graduation is required.
    To visualise this, imagine the grad that it's upside down, but only the dark section is actually covering the top part of the lens. The lower section of the lens is not covered by the filter at all.
    Doing it this way tho, requires very minimal filtration strength .. an 0.3 Lee filter can give approximately a 3stop difference in exposure!
    (I have a few examples of how effective .. or not! .. this system can be, and it has gotten me out of trouble when I've needed it too)

The problems with using a standard grad reversed make it's full time use somewhat annoying.

Mainly in that at the top of each grad is the company and model markings, which impact on the image in the form of blurred smears.
    Not being partial to cloning on a regular basis, this is a considerable annoyance. If you don't mind cloning then it's not an issue.

The other issue is setup time, your reversed standard grad has to be meticulously placed, or the results can look quite ordinary.
    Which then comes to the topic of placement. If you use the viewfinder as your preferred method of image composition, the placement of your eye to the viewfinder is critical to placement of the reversed std grad too. The issue is one of parallax.
    The best way to accurately place a std grad in reversed orientation is using live view(it's spot on every time) but of course the issues of using live view needs to be dealt with.

Whilst using a reversed std grad has gotten me results over the years, I will be getting myself a set of proper reverse grads very soon.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all above for the replies, I've ordered a Reverse Grad and will get my in-laws to send them over. Teamwork wanted 20 Pounds for freight, so lucky for me I have a UK connection. Hakka and Ak, this is pretty much the method I was trying, but looking back now, probably not the most ideal spot.

If I had of used the reverse grad in the situation (See my post in Land - seascapes) the rocks would have been nearly un-seen, so I guess there's a time and a place for said filters. I do want to revisit this setting, as I feel with the help of the clouds to the horizon, it would make for a good long exposure shot, and maybe capture the cloud movement as well.

Thanks again.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosta View Post

If I had of used the reverse grad in the situation (See my post in Land - seascapes) the rocks would have been nearly un-seen, so I guess there's a time and a place for said filters. I do want to revisit this setting, as I feel with the help of the clouds to the horizon, it would make for a good long exposure shot, and maybe capture the cloud movement as well.

Thanks again.
    (just saw the thread/image)
    You will get that with a reverse GND too tho, where once you've placed the grad along the horizon, the top section of rocks would have been irrevocably too dark.
    This is where multi exposure, blending and or HDR is 'where it's at'.

I'll be ordering my rGND's too soon.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    (just saw the thread/image)
    You will get that with a reverse GND too tho, where once you've placed the grad along the horizon, the top section of rocks would have been irrevocably too dark.
    This is where multi exposure, blending and or HDR is 'where it's at'.

I'll be ordering my rGND's too soon.
    Ak, I did take a few bracketed shot -2 spot on and +2, just not that great with PS, so I'll revisit and see what I can do. Thanks for the memory jog.