Thread: Zenfolio for e-commerce

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zenfolio for e-commerce

Hi All

I am currently looking at how best to sell my images. I have progressed a short way down the path of implementing my own server to host a purpose built website to enable e-commerce to support direct sales and downloading of digital images.

I stumbled across Zenfolio and am quite impressed with the layout and preentation. I see they offer an e-commerce solution. Does anyone have any experience with Zenfolio from an e-commerce perspective?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gordon,

Isnt it funny that in my journey to answer the same question I've found you here on the other side of the net.

Im hoping you/we get some replies soon ....

As well as Zenfolio .... are there any decent Aussie alternatives. I'd really like to print from my choice of Australian professional lab ... if at all possible ...

Thanks,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The AUS offerings that deal in AUD are sparse. Zenfolio do deal with AUD but you will need to self fullfill the prints themselves. Digital Downloads can be paid for for in $AUD

Smugmug does not currently have any Foreign currency options so everything is in $USD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftypics View Post
    Smugmug does not currently have any Foreign currency options so everything is in $USD
    there has been a lot of support for foreign currency support with smugmug on the "enhancement requests" forum...hopefully they'll listen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by campo View Post
    there has been a lot of support for foreign currency support with smugmug on the "enhancement requests" forum...hopefully they'll listen
    Ive sifted through the archives of the Smugmug & Zenfolio forums and whilst it appears to be many requested for foreign enhancemanets they are very few are far between in their implementation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftypics View Post
    The AUS offerings that deal in AUD are sparse. Zenfolio do deal with AUD but you will need to self fullfill the prints themselves. Digital Downloads can be paid for for in $AUD

Do you know how to do this? I can only select US/Euro/2 other random currencies for digital downloads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Zenfolio for e-commerce

I'm still waiting for photomerchant to deliver fulfillment, in the meanwhile I use gallery2 and it's ecommerce which works well with paypal etc, but I still self manage the printing and delivery manually
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you use a shopping cart and host it all yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I'm still waiting for photomerchant to deliver fulfillment, in the meanwhile I use gallery2 and it's ecommerce which works well with paypal etc, but I still self manage the printing and delivery manually
    Its what I do and it does the best job that I can see for free.

Once you work out how to work the paypal cart with the site (I had both carts installed and it wasn't working) you'll never look back.

I do some of the printing myself, the rest I get the colourfactory to do and handling everything is pretty easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Zenfolio for e-commerce

My want is once I post the pics to the website that the entire rest of the process is automated, like smughug in the states. Makes my life easier, it's a hassle every week going through orders, finding the negative, sending that off to a lab, go pick them up, batch them into orders and then go the post office to send it off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My want is once I post the pics to the website that the entire rest of the process is automated, like smughug in the states. Makes my life easier, it's a hassle every week going through orders, finding the negative, sending that off to a lab, go pick them up, batch them into orders and then go the post office to send it off
    I hear you Kiwi ... Im so surprised there isnt a full service solution for Australian photogs ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this.

Anyone used Zenfolio?

Majority of my customers will be in Australia. I don't have the time to invest in learning lessons and wasting time as I'm busy with training and a full time job.

It seems like a pretty damned good way to showcase images from shows and offer them to clients to purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, just stumbled onto this site looking for an e-commerce solution for selling photos & prints... I've found photobiz.com to be exactly what I'm after - for ease of use and setup etc. But being American, I'm not sure if there'll be an Aussie credit card facility or what not. (I've asked the question, still waiting on a reply...)

As I have basically no website building experience, or e-commerce experience for that matter, photobiz's solution looks to be the goods.

This is strictly a hobby that I'm just doing on the side, (and to pick up a bit of extra cashola at my sons BMX racing events...) If I can set it up within a day, have it bubbling along in the background, all the while being a cinch to upload and sell new photos, I'm sold. Any recommendations?

Again, this must be easy... Help a n00b out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerTimbo View Post
    Hi there, just stumbled onto this site looking for an e-commerce solution for selling photos & prints... I've found photobiz.com to be exactly what I'm after - for ease of use and setup etc. But being American, I'm not sure if there'll be an Aussie credit card facility or what not. (I've asked the question, still waiting on a reply...)

As I have basically no website building experience, or e-commerce experience for that matter, photobiz's solution looks to be the goods.

Again, this must be easy... Help a n00b out!
    Just had a squiz at photobiz. The FAQ (shopping cart, #14) says you have to fulfill the order yourself (ie. they don't print for you) so it's basically a shopping cart system for you. At $15USD per month ($180 per year) for only 200 photos, that's pretty expensive compared to alternate options.

For example, I personally use Smugmug and their Pro accounts costs less ($150USD) and gives you unlimited photos, unlimited bandwidth, shopping cart, favourites selection, options for printing and much more...

I'd suggest searching some of the AP forums as there have been various discussions on this very topic. Here are some suggested search terms based on service names: smugmug, flickr pro, redbubble, onlinegalleries

Also Online galleries is an aussie based solution and is also an AP sponsor.

This is strictly a hobby that I'm just doing on the side, (and to pick up a bit of extra cashola at my sons BMX racing events...)
    A bit off topic but I'd recommend you seek professional advice on the definition of hobby verses what constitutes a regular ongoing service as the tax office does not necessarily see it the way you'd like it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know photomerchant is the only one in oz that offers direct fulfillment

I'm trialling it but my biggest issue is volume, I'm scared by the size of the files necessary to provide direct fulfillment, compared to the small files I can get away with now remembering I often have 500-1000 photos from a days shooting

But the look and feel and options are certainly attractive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, yeah, that's all good advice. Personally I really like the look of Photobiz' templates... (hey, what can I say, I'm a visual guy...) And they seem really user friendly in terms of cart usage etc.

I was thinking they were quite reasonable in that they don't charge any commissions. Photo Merchant (I started a trial last night) on the other hand charges a transaction fee for each purchase.

Tax hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue, I'm a freelance VFX artist with a company, I'm hoping (on advice from my accountant) that I can just run this as a little offshoot and claim it all under the one umbrella. (naive, who me?!)

I got an email back from Photobiz last night, apparently they do support multiple currencies, so for AUD they recommend using paypal. Think I should investigate that a bit further, because that would be like paying a transaction fee. Which, when weighed up against photomerchant, doesn't really compare well, given that they're big advantage is the direct fulfillment option, which Photobiz doesn't offer. (again with the easy option...)

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking they were quite reasonable in that they don't charge any commissions.
    It seems that services that don't charge commission have higher monthly rates compared to the low monthly rates of services that do charge commissions. It all boils down to the volume of work you plan to be selling...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PLEASE NOTE : There are some comments in this thread that purely promote commercial websites. Members with under 50 post and 30 days membership are reminded of the site rule:

7] Goods and Services for sale/wanted to buy/employment. Personal classifieds advertisements, including employment offers, must be placed in our classifieds forum. Please read the separate Rules about advertisements within the classifieds forum (also viewable as a 'sticky' at the top of the Site Matters Forum). Advertisements for goods, services, employment or other commercial offers must not be included in any other forums or galleries without first obtaining permission from the site administrator. Commercial Advertising can be arranged for a fee. Threads/Posts deemed to be commercial in nature, which have not been approved by site administration, will be deleted. Members with less than 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot post information that primarily promotes a commercial site, on any part of Ausphotography. (Also see site rule 13: regarding complaints about products/services).
    Any future posts by new members that are promoting commercial sites, will be removed from member view.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfft, that's a bit rough. It's contructive discussion about the business of photography with other users in the same boat as me. I'm not flogging anything.

Sorry to have caused any trouble, rules are rules I suppose.

Thanks campo & kiwi. (go the Maroons...)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pfft, that's a bit rough. It's contructive discussion about the business of photography with other users in the same boat as me. I'm not flogging anything.

Sorry to have caused any trouble, rules are rules I suppose.

Thanks campo & kiwi. (go the Maroons...)
    The rules are there as we have no idea if new members who link or promote sites are in any way affiliated with those sites, or perhaps work for them. It also protects against people bagging out a site, when they work for the opposition. So your comment "Pfft, that's a bit rough", is not appropriate and I suggest you make yourself familiar with the rules, otherwise you may find your access to AP removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast