Thread: NSW Central West Trip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are down on 0°C already I hate the cold. It is supposed to be a little warmer tonight than last night, but I have my doubts.

Hope you are reading this Kevin. Be warned

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmmax View Post
    You could loose yourself for 5 days just in the Blue Mountains. When I drive along the Bells Line of Road, I think to myself it would have to be one of the more scenic drives in the world.

Capertee Valley is spectacular. Visit Dunns swamp down at the Olinda end. Make sure to visit the old Shale workings at Glen Davis in the valley as well.

A little known place to visit is Ferntree Gully, just down the Rylstone - Bylong Valley way. The walk down into the gully itself is fascinating. You can do it comfortably in an afternoon. Lots and lots to photograph there. If you didn't particularly want to return to Sydney via the Blue Mountains, you can go via the Bylong Valley to Denman and into Sydney from the Hunter Valley. The road through the Bylong and to Denman is pretty special. It used to go through a mountain in a railway tunnel at one time, but now the railway has stolen it back, you have to drive up and over the mountain.

From Lithgow, the trip out to the Glow Worm Tunnel on the Newnes plateau is well worth it. You go through some great scenery, as well as drive through the first old railway tunnel. The walk down to the second tunnel is fairly easy, and hopefully there is not too much water running though the tunnel to walk through, because other than the glow worms, what awaits you at the other end of the tunnel is enchanting.

Don't forget how cold it can get at that time of the year, including snow in the Blue Mountains. Bring lots of warm clothes if you are acclimatised to Singapore's climate! It went down to -5°C here last night.
    Thanks so much for all the tips!
    Jotting them all down and seeing how much I can slot into my short road trip
    Do I need any particular equipment (e.g. a bright torch light) to navigate the tunnel?

The temperature sounds great! Will be a huge change from typical Singapore weather, naturally!