User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Has anyone had experience using an Eye-Fi SD card and an IPAD?

Ausphotography Regular Brian500au's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone had experience using an Eye-Fi SD card and an IPAD?

Has anybody had experience with one of these Eye-Fi SD cards?

I am seriously considering one to hook up to my IPAD for instant feedback on a shoot, but I don't want to waste money if they are slow or just a gimmick.
    www.kjbphotography.com.au

1DxII, EOS R, 200-400 f4L Ext, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L II, 70-200 F4IS, 24-70 F2.8 II, 16-35 F4IS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard they are slow to download and won't give you instant feed back that you are after.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite surprised more people have not tried them - in theory it is a great concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the eyefi with a D90 and ipad sending only small size jpeg for review, usually takes around 2-3 seconds but they do back up a little when you shoot fast. I have used it for product and some children with the grandparents holding the ipad looking at the images during the session live.

For "quick" review it's good but don't expect it to be instant. Personally for product or studio work I still prefer to tether by cable but for more family work outdoor the eye fi has it's use.
    kevinLi - Melbourne fashion, advertising photographer/assistant

kevinLi Portfolio | kevinLi Blog | 500px

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is something I am more look at for on location work. At the moment I stop ever 15 - 30 mins and download into my ipad for review but I would love something did not require me to interrupt my work flow for long periods of time. I would be looking at sending a small Jpeg over to the ipad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Brian, I'd love to have something for outdoor use to quickly transfer files to an Android tablet. Problem is my cameras are all CF and the Eye-Fi with CF adapter is hit and miss so I haven't bothered to pursue it as yet.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am quite surprised this item is not more popular given how handy it would be if it worked as advertised. I am still on the fence but I think curiosity will get the better of me in the new year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Brian500au,

i do have this exact setup, an eyefi 8gb card in my 60D and my ipad 2. At the time (June 2011) i found the transfer speed quite slow for immediate viewing, it was convenient though having the photos on the ipad if you weren't too fussed about the speed. Since then i have made my main pc the recipient of the eyefi photos. Unfortunately i haven't figured out how to send photos to 2 simultaneous devices (i.e a laptop and the ipad) and because of this i just have it set to my laptop now.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nhutty View Post
    Hi Brian500au,

i do have this exact setup, an eyefi 8gb card in my 60D and my ipad 2. At the time (June 2011) i found the transfer speed quite slow for immediate viewing, it was convenient though having the photos on the ipad if you weren't too fussed about the speed. Since then i have made my main pc the recipient of the eyefi photos. Unfortunately i haven't figured out how to send photos to 2 simultaneous devices (i.e a laptop and the ipad) and because of this i just have it set to my laptop now.
    How big were the files you were sending across?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the files were usually 5-6mb in size

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thankyou - I think I would be trying to transfer very small jpg to the Ipad - more around the 250 - 350 kb in size. This might work out a lot faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian500au View Post
    ok thankyou - I think I would be trying to transfer very small jpg to the Ipad - more around the 250 - 350 kb in size. This might work out a lot faster.
    If you have a camera with dual card slots you could shoot raw to the primary card and small JPEG to the eye-fi...

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/7549

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maccaroneski View Post
    If you have a camera with dual card slots you could shoot raw to the primary card and small JPEG to the eye-fi...

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/7549

Yep shooting with a 1 series canon so it has both cards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I finally bought one of these cards. I shoot with a 1D so it has both the CF and SD cards, and can write RAW to the CF and small jpeg to the SD card.

To sum it up, when it works it is a great idea. Card takes about 5 secs to down load a 250K jpeg to my Ipad. Very handy to show and give instant feedback to the model I am working with. The only downside is when the photos don't download, I have no idea why, and cannot do anything about it. Next time I opened my Ipad they were there. The other good thing about this card is it will automatically transfer the files to my smugmug account - still playing and tweaking but I think this could work for me.

Kel