Thread: New Mono pod, not sure what this part is for

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Mono pod, not sure what this part is for

Hi,
    Today I purchased a new mono pod as per the link below.
    http://www.camerafarm.com.au/p/97636...nca/535102.asp

It has a metal piece that is attached to the bottom and swings around, can anybody tell me what that is used for? It didn't come with a manual and it has me stumped, maybe I have missed the point of it

Paul

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a photo of it? The image in the site you linked is utterly useless as far as visually representing the product in a meaningful way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it's nor the camera and you are holding it the wrong way up
    My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is to put your foot on to stop the bottom of the mono moving
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Got a photo of it? The image in the site you linked is utterly useless as far as visually representing the product in a meaningful way.
    Don't at the moment sorry, can try and take one tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    Are you sure it's nor the camera and you are holding it the wrong way up
    Thanks but I am fairly sure I am holding the camera the right way

Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    It is to put your foot on to stop the bottom of the mono moving
    Thanks, I thought it might be but wanted to check as it seemed a bit weird to be for that but I guess they do some funny things at times.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of these about 6 months ago and pulled the foot bit off after a few days, although only cheep mine has had a lot of use with my 7D and 150-500 Sigma with no problems.Here is a link to a better picture http://www.soldsmart.com.au/l3.aspx?goods=PF0057
    Last edited by Speedway; 05-09-2010 at 12:39am.
    Keith

Canon 400D Gripped, Canon 7D LCD Timer Gripped, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is ii. Canon 2X iii Extender, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 18-250, Sigma 17-50 F2.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 90mm Macro, Yonguno YN460 & 460ii Speedlights and a Hanimax TZ 1 Flash, Wireless Triggers ,LED Macro Ringlight, Extension Tubes, 3 tripods, 2 monopods, PS Elements 5 & 10, PSP9 and canon s/ware, various filters and other photographic paraphernalia all packed in a computrecker backpack. NEW:- Panasonic GX8, 45-150, 14mm F2.5. PSE 2018.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a monopod but it doesn't have the bottom bit. I think it would be good to hold the monopod steady as mine seems to get the wobbles at times.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a cheapie I bought to try monopods out and it had that thing on it. I found it really annoying and it would not stay clipped up like it was supposed to. I had no regrets when I lost the monopod and had to buy a Manfrotto one, which does not have any silly gimmicks like that.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think monopods had a handle attached to the top to adjust. What I can remember in seeing monos that they just screw to the base of the camera. Why would you want one with a handle when you can just move the whole thing?

BTW...where have you been Paul? It seems like ages since you have been on here. I thought you left us.
    Thanks for looking....Cheers,
    Julie-Anne / Julie / Jules / Julesy / JAS

MY ..... MY BLOG..... Feel free to look.
    Canon 40D / 24-105mm L IS / 70-200mm L IS / 75-300mm / 50mm 1.8 / Sigma 10-20mm / Manfrotto tripod / Bits and pieces to fill the bag.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 41jas View Post
    BTW...where have you been Paul? It seems like ages since you have been on here. I thought you left us.
    I have been around but busy with some other things like work and some of my other hobbies which were taking up most of my time plus it has been a wet winter here so not much chance to get out and take photos. Now the weather is starting to get better I am going to be a lot more active on here

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julie the screw is for attaching the head (pan-tilt or ball with quick release plate most come without) to the monopod. It is very hard to tilt the whole monopod more than a few degrees and maintain control without the head, this one comes with a pan-tilt head fitted.
    Keith