Thread: Recommendations for DAM - Image Management software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lightroom / Aperture (mac) / Adobe Bridge

my insight would be that with 150,000 photos, you have a DAM lot of work in front of you - no matter what solution you pick
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Lightroom / Aperture (mac) / Adobe Bridge

my insight would be that with 150,000 photos, you have a DAM lot of work in front of you - no matter what solution you pick
    HaHa, yeah no kidding.. problem is, that there are duplicates all over the place, and I get confused when looking thru them. Most are cataloged by using folder names, but having been on digital since 1999, I have a lot of images..

I am past the stage of looking for a good deal, or a ton of features, just want something that works and is stable.

Phil
    These Photographers are Crazy!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Panasonic Lumix LX7, Lumix GH3, Sony SLT A77, Sony Lenses, SonyMetz Flashes, CZ Lenses etc.

Gallery: http://matix.zenfolio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am another one for lightroom. There are also programs for searching your computer for duplicate files, I used one once on my old laptop and it worked really well, but I can't remember what the program was called and unfortunately that laptop has since passed away, sorry.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you finally consider a Mac - Aperture is good. Previously I disliked it but hadn't given it a big enough run. It's a total mind change from the way you use a PC system though and once your ready to throw out your old PC ways of thinking about file and folder naming then Aperture is really the way to go. It has its own backup system called Vault which is a compressed archival system - it too works well. All the storage of your media is in an compressed archival system but you do have the ability to output a single or multiple image files in either the master (original file) or in a version (post processed file).

If you end up resisting the natural urge to move to Mac - try using Portfolio. Its purely an image management tool with a very good tagging system. Of the all the PC based DAM systems, Adobe Bridge is probably the best available but I think you have to purchase CS4 to get it.

With the Mac once you start with Aperture you lose the ability to use Bridge but can still use CS3 or 4 or what ever other processing software you wish to use. The limit is you can only specify one package to use in the software preferences.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extensis Portfolio used to be used by all the Stock Photo people some years ago, have a look at that. http://www.extensis.com/en/products/...on.jsp?id=2000 Margaret
    Margaret

Fuji XT2 Manfrotto MF 055XPROB Pro Tripod & gynbal head, Fuji 18-55 mm, Fuji 14 mm, Fuji 55-200 mm, Fuji 80 mm macro, Fuji 60mm macro, Fuji 100-400 mm, SB600 Speedlight, Photoshop, Lightroom on a Mac, Critiques welcomed