It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paparazzi as a job?

Would you do paparazzi work?
    I.e. would you take celeb photos for a price?

How far would you go for 'that' $10,000 shot of ... oh lets play ... Gordon Ramsay with 'another' woman?
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser DAdeGroot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't think I could do that. Sure, the money is good, but I'm told so's the money in drug dealing...
    Dave

http://www.degrootphotography.com.au/
    Canon EOS 1D MkIV | Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM | Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L & some non-L lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but I'd have to weigh up the situation first, if some scumbag was doing something extroadinarily underhanded that would affect many others then I'd take a shot, but I'd also think about my own welfare or families should revenge be a possibility.

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAdeGroot View Post
    No, I don't think I could do that. Sure, the money is good, but I'm told so's the money in drug dealing...
    I would not suggest anything illegal - but there is a line somewhere!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I predict mostly "no". For one, with rare exceptions, paps don't care much for photography as an art or craft unlike the folk that frequent this forum. They're more interested in nailing a shot purely for money regardless of quality, where people here tend to be people into learning and sharing. Had this been asked on a pap forum (assuming one exists) I doubt there's much chat about the art of photography.

I doubt there's an inbetween where someone would do it, but consider doing it with taste. At the risk of sterotyping the folk that do it, I reckon paparazzi with taste is a bit of an oxymoron. I'd love to be proven wrong though and see the other side.
    Last edited by davesmith; 09-06-2009 at 9:03pm.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never, ever. I might get my camera scratched.....
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm too lazy to really go for paparazzi work. However, if the opportunity presented and I had the camera, I'd have no problems in trying to get the shot. My view is that they chose to be celebrities - the least I can do is a) help and b) make some cash.

(I would however draw the line at victims of circumstance - those people who don't chose the 15 seconds of fame, but get it thrust on them anyway and don't grab it.)
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I voted Yes.

Although to clarify, I would not like to be a 'celebrity chasing' photographer. However, if circumstances eventuated where I happened across a situation and had my camera, would I take the shot...Hell Yes..Would I sell it to the highest bidder...Yes again.

So, taking your suggestion Kym, if I happened to be strolling along a beach preparing to get sunset shots and came across a naked Gordon Ramsay frolicking in the surf with some 'floosie', I would take the shots. If he wanted the moment to be private, he should have stayed in his hotel room
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I voted Yes.
    .... if I happened to be strolling along a beach preparing to get sunset shots and came across a naked Gordon Ramsay frolicking in the surf with some 'floosie', I would take the shots. If he wanted the moment to be private, he should have stayed in his hotel room
    hahaha seems you don't like the man

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonykieuphotography View Post
    hahaha seems you don't like the man
    I only used him cause that is the name the thread creator used in his first post. Wouldn't matter who it was to me. If they do it in public they are fair game.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes with taste; have done a little and a very little at that; depends on the $$; would love to get GR with his pants down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I didn't see see that the op was talking about gordon ramsay

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonykieuphotography View Post
    Apologies, I didn't see see that the op was talking about gordon ramsay
    ramsay was only as an example. He is an 'easy' target - no one would have much issue with getting a shot of him for money.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...but would you go far enough to be a real paparazzo, would you sneak up to the man's backyard and take pictures of his 6-year old in the swimmingpool? I hope not...
    Ciao, Joost

All feedback is highly appreciated!

Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jev View Post
    ...but would you go far enough to be a real paparazzo, would you sneak up to the man's backyard and take pictures of his 6-year old in the swimmingpool? I hope not...
    I voted Yes, but with taste. And that would be tasteless in my values. There are limits.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    I
    Actually, I intended to ask Rick (he would, after all, take the picture if the opportunity is there and the money is good). Threw away the whole quote while replying

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, cause to me a backyard is a private space, even though the law (in Aus) says differently in regard to photography (ie. if it is viewable from a public space it can be photographed)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I wouldnt do iut as a job - but say I was taking a pic of something else and an opportunity was there which didn't involve stalking and following around a person to get some good shot people would pay for then I'd probably take it (as long as wasnt bad taste or trashy or something...)
    Cat (aka Cathy) - Another Canon user - 400D, 18-55,75-300mm Kit Lens,50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8-4 DG, Tripod and a willingness to learn
    Software used: PhotoImpact, Irfanview and a lot of plugins
    We don't make a photograph just with a camera, we bring to the act of photography all the books we have read, the movies we have seen, the music we have heard, the people we have loved. - Ansel Adams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did K. Rudds missus deserve to have her photo taken at he gym, probably not, but the photo was deemed "news" worthy by woman's day. Hiding behind "No expectation of Privacy" photos like this risk the right to photograph in a public place for all of us.

Above said, find me Tracey Grimshaw or Zoe Meunier topless on her local beach and all moral objections are off. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Did K. Rudds missus deserve to have her photo taken at he gym, probably not, but the photo was deemed "news" worthy by woman's day. Hiding behind "No expectation of Privacy" photos like this risk the right to photograph in a public place for all of us.

Above said, find me Tracey Grimshaw or Zoe Meunier topless on her local beach and all moral objections are off. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    The issue with K Rudd's missus is that the photo were taken from inside the gym, the person who took them was in the gym and obviously had a hidden camera. So as they did not have permission to be photographing inside private premises, the photos were illegally taken. Interesting argument though, cause if the gym has cctv, then any attendees must accept being photographed...so...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast