User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  25

Thread: My photos are generating interest :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    fleecing
    extortionate
    extortionate
    extortionate
    extort
    extortionate
    holding files to ransom
    extortionate
    extortionate
    outrageous
    In one single post?

So much vitriol, so little understanding.

*shakes head and leaves thread*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
    In one single post?

So much vitriol, so little understanding.

*shakes head and leaves thread*
    Perhaps read again, some of the words you quoted are not my words, but those of others (clients - remember them? They are the ones who need to see the value not those making the product) who have given their opinions.

To provide some perspective, if my local photographer as mentioned here did a portrait sitting for you, they don't need to travel more than 5 mins to get to you, and they have no studio, would you be prepared to pay for each individual print or file;

$17.50 per 6x4 print, lustre paper
    $23 per 5x7 print high gloss paper
    $45 per 8x10 print, lustre paper

and/or $60 per hi-res digital file
    on top of the $195 sitting fee (90 mins max), with a minimum print/file order of $450

You would?
    I opine that those who would are biased in their thinking, because those here probably think this would be great for the photographer, now put yourselves in the average non-photographers shoes and I can't help but wonder if anyone would have a different view.

[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by farquar View Post

PS Beware of those extortionate luxury car salesmen who dare charge 100K for a single vehicle. EXTORTIONATE!!! You can actually get a car for waaaaaay less than that.
    A stellar comparison, clearly a Hyundai Getz is much the same thing as a BMW M5, that why one is 20x the cost of the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps read again, some of the words you quoted are not my words, but those of others (clients - remember them? They are the ones who need to see the value not those making the product) who have given their opinions.
    Clients? We have hundreds of happy ones. All who see the value in the images we create and are happy to pay the prices we need to charge to remain a viable business.

I can't comment on other people's clients, but there are a multitude of reasons why someone wouldn't value the images they create.

To provide some perspective, if my local photographer as mentioned here did a portrait sitting for you, they don't need to travel more than 5 mins to get to you, and they have no studio, would you be prepared to pay for each individual print or file;

$17.50 per 6x4 print, lustre paper
    $23 per 5x7 print high gloss paper
    $45 per 8x10 print, lustre paper

and/or $60 per hi-res digital file
    on top of the $195 sitting fee (90 mins max), with a minimum print/file order of $450
    If I loved the images they created for me I would consider those prices an absolute steal. If, conversely, I was just after some blank pieces of photo paper, those prices would definitely seem a little exorbitant. Do they come with images on them?

You would?
    I opine that those who would are biased in their thinking, because those here probably think this would be great for the photographer, now put yourselves in the average non-photographers shoes and I can't help but wonder if anyone would have a different view.
    Hardly. I can't objectively see how anyone could run a legitimate business with pricing so low. If I charged the above pricing I would be out of business in months.

The above is very modest pricing. I can only assume that the photography is not the only income source in that equation.

If you think $45 for an 8x10 is extortionate, you'd probably consider my pricing model a jailable offence.

I know you think you're telling it how it is, Wayne, but you're not. *removed :bordering on a personal attack* I would suggest refrain from offering business advice regarding an industry you clearly know so little about. Just telling it how it is.

Peace, Zeke.
    Last edited by ricktas; 19-01-2012 at 7:17pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A stellar comparison, clearly a Hyundai Getz is much the same thing as a BMW M5, that why one is 20x the cost of the other.
    Thank you for reiterating my point. Albeit unintentionally.

I would love the opportunity to impart some of my business knowledge (based of many years working full time in this industry - where does yours come from?) on the local photographer you mention (the 'extortionate print price model' one). I would like to be able to offer him/her some encouragement and to reiterate your advise "I explain that unless they change their pricing, business will not change much" but perhaps with a different slant. ie not telling them to charge less in order to make more. Perhaps you could PM me their website or something. Better yet, maybe tell them about this forum!

Bonnie, was there anything else you are struggling with in relation to achieving your goals?

(what are we supposed to use this one for?)