User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: My feature article in Australian Photography magazine (Nov, 2011)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My feature article in Australian Photography magazine (Nov, 2011)

A few months ago, Robert Keeley, editor of Australian Photography magazine, received some images of mine which I had submitted to the magazine for a competition.

He rang me, complimented me on the images, told me he saw a story in the images, and then asked me if I'd consider writing a feature article for the magazine about my images and how I created them.

Hence began my article on creative light painting, which I submitted with a number of my images I had created using various light painting techniques and equipment.

My article is featured in the November (2011) issue of the magazine.

Below is a scan from the first two pages. You'll have to buy the magazine to read the rest. ;-)

It was quite an honour to be asked to write for the magazine, and most of my text had been preserved. I could see a few minor edits and additions, but the bulk of it is how I wrote it. (I haven't compared the original and published versions yet, but it's quite close.)

I hope those of you who get to read it will enjoy it, learn something new and be inspired to try light painting.

More details on the process of the writing of the article (and an insight into the world of writing for magazines) are here.

Enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations well done. I have just brought this issue, the Light Painting article was one of the topics that caught my eye while browsing the Photography Magazines.
    Barbara

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wandapics_photography

K-x. Sigma 18-125mm 1:3.8 - 5.6 DC HSM, Sigma 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 Macro, Sigma 100-300mm 1:4.5-6.7 DL. Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash,
    MZ-60. Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work

My hat is off to you, if i ever had an image a mag thought was worthy that would be great but there is no way I would have the confidence to actually write an article about it. That takes guts IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will buy it this week. Congratulations !!!
    Nikon D90 with Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 Nikon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 90mm macro f2.8, Sigma 10-20mm f/4 - 5.6, SB-600, Manfrotto tripod and head.
    Software: Elements 10 and Aperture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, I have started reading the current edition and have earmarked this section for quiet reading with no other distractions around.

Nikon D300, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200vr II f2.8, 18-200vr, Lensbaby, 50 f1.8, SB600, Tokina 12-24 f4, TC2.0e III, Kenko TC 1.4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome work. I've been thinking about subscribing to a photography mag. this may do it for me.

congrats
    "I really need to spend more time experimenting with photography."
    Canon EOS 1000D with lens kit | EFS 18-55mm | EF 75-300mm |

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great work john - I've always been amazed by that image in particular of yours!
    I haven't got round to reading it yet but will do soon!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats John. Nice to get a pat on the back.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done and from what I have read you earned it. Amazing image.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandapics View Post
    Congratulations well done. I have just brought this issue, the Light Painting article was one of the topics that caught my eye while browsing the Photography Magazines.
    Glad it did the trick. I hope you enjoy the article and the magazine. I've been reading the magazine since 2005; plenty of content, Australian issues, and practical advice. Our friend Dylan also tends to turn up in there from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by fess67 View Post
    Nice work

My hat is off to you, if i ever had an image a mag thought was worthy that would be great but there is no way I would have the confidence to actually write an article about it. That takes guts IMO.
    Thanks muchly.

The whole thing wasn't something I planned, as I'd sent a couple of images to the magazine for a comp. Robert Keeley rang me on the same day that we were discussing my image which featured on the cover of the September issue of the magazine. I thought he was ringing about that, but as it turned out, he had my other images and saw a story.

I guess that unlike a lot of writers I wasn't trying to get an article published in the magazine. Usually the way it works is that interested writers/photographers submit their material and go from there. In this case, I was asked to do that. It was very much unexpected, yet flattering.

I love to write, but never had thoughts about writing a feature article for a magazine.

I do have a few other ideas, and I'll pitch them to Robert in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by judybee View Post
    will buy it this week. Congratulations !!!
    Thanks Judy. I hope you find it a good read. In fact, you saw me creating one of the images that features in the article. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chris_m View Post
    Well done, I have started reading the current edition and have earmarked this section for quiet reading with no other distractions around.
    Believe it or not, it took a day or two before I even got around to reading it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymorton View Post
    awesome work. I've been thinking about subscribing to a photography mag. this may do it for me.

congrats
    Thanks mate.

It's a magazine well worth the subscription. As above, I've been a reader for years and a subscriber for a number of years also.

Another Australian magazine well worth reading is Peter Eastway's Better Photography, which is released quarterly. It's a very large magazine with a lot of content. I used to buy it (and later had a subscription to it and its sister publication Better Photoshop Techniques), but I find it hard to get through my existing magazine subscriptions each month without two more, and those aren't small magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    great work john - I've always been amazed by that image in particular of yours!
    Thanks Dylan. If I can amaze you, I must be doing something right.

It's not the usual 'scape at all. Much more fun to create (especially creating fire), but I still love a good landscape/seascape.

Quote Originally Posted by dtoh View Post
    I haven't got round to reading it yet but will do soon!
    I know the feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by old dog View Post
    congrats John. Nice to get a pat on the back.
    Always a pleasure. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    Well done and from what I have read you earned it. Amazing image.
    Thanks Shelley. There'll be a few other images there too. Some of them are lesser known, as I shot them a few years ago and probably haven't posted them here.