Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt Camera?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corrupt Camera?

Ok, today I went out and did a shoot for a local fashion boutique with my wife.

We got home and naturally sat down to start editing, my wife was and is doing hers. I put my CF card into the reader, copied images into a folder on the desktop then exported them into Lightroom. The message I got was "could not copy file to requested location".

At first I thought it was the CF card .. but that Opened up in Camera Raw (which I actually do not use). The files in the desktop folder open in Camera Raw also!
    Using my card reader I transfered the images onto an SD card and tried to import them into LH, same message.
    I took the SD card to my wifes laptop and she went to copy the images into a folder and got a message saying that she didnt have enough "permissions" to copy some files.

If anyone can work out all this I would be greatful to hear, lucky my wife was the second shooter. I may only have 105 images but that is not the point, seems to me like the D300 has decided to corrupt images.

In short... HELP!
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    seems to me like the D300 has decided to corrupt images.
    If you can actually see images in camera raw then I feel that it won't be the camera at fault.
    I have heard that selecting the lock option on a single Nikon file when reviewing it post capture can lead to lack of copying and permission denial with ado$e software.
    Perhaps review them in the camera again and see if any are locked.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The message is "could not copy file to requested location" which suggests it the the destination location that is the issue, not the card itself. Check where you are trying to put the photos, not where they are coming from.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    If you can actually see images in camera raw then I feel that it won't be the camera at fault.
    I have heard that selecting the lock option on a single Nikon file when reviewing it post capture can lead to lack of copying and permission denial with ado$e software.
    Perhaps review them in the camera again and see if any are locked.
    Hi Andrew.. I just looked images is not locked

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    have you tried just copying the files off the card onto the computer using windows explorer? and then tried to import them into your editing software from there? If that doesn't work, it has to be something to do with the settings in your editing software, a library/catalogue corruption, etc

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    have you tried just copying the files off the card onto the computer using windows explorer? and then tried to import them into your editing software from there? If that doesn't work, it has to be something to do with the settings in your editing software, a library/catalogue corruption, etc
    Hi Rick as said in my post, I copied the images from my CF to a folder on my desktop. Once I had done that I went to export them into Lightroom (as I do everytime) but got a message saying I could copy to destination.
    Lightroom hasnt had any changes in its settings as I have it setup the way I always do. I went into full detail in my first post, the images would even copy from a SD card to a folder on my wifes laptop. I am sure its in the camera

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, even in Camera Raw I just rotated an image, saved it as a dng to a folder.. went to put it in Lightroom.. wouldnt copy.. there is totally something wrong here and it cant be the editing software as I wasnt being allowed to copy from card to folder originally.. something has happened to the images.

- - - Updated - - -

Now in Camera Raw its say 100 files (83 hidden).. puzzled more so

- - - Updated - - -

OK.. this may help people.. alongside every file is a XML file (whatever that is).

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Rick is on the right track. From memory, when importing into LR you can choose to import from the current location (on disk) or have LR copy/backup the files to a new location at the same time as importing into the catalog. If the latter, and there is a problem with the destination folder (eg insufficient space) then maybe the import fails?
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK.. this may help people.. alongside every file is a XML file (whatever that is).
    Warren, as far as I know, the xml file is a sidecar file to allow the viewing of NEF captures and to record changes / originality. Can I make a wild suggestion that you download and install Nikon View VX 2 ( free ) and import the files that way and see if if they render properly.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren, as far as I know, the xml file is a sidecar file to allow the viewing of NEF captures and to record changes / originality. Can I make a wild suggestion that you download and install Nikon View VX 2 ( free ) and import the files that way and see if if they render properly.
    Not even letting me export one images I saved as a JPEG (from the collection) into lightroom.. I am BETTING that all the images havent been fully read when coming out of the camera.. to prove this point I have put different CFs in and loaded them into a folder on my desktop (2 images) and nope.. Lightroom says it cannot read the files.

I would be MORE than happy to email someone an image as my wife dosent have many and we really need to burn as many after editing onto a disc as have to meet the lady on Monday to organise her Wedding in January!
    So is there any takers on wanting to see an image for yourselves? If so it would be great as its all new to me in regards to trouble shooting.. another note is I have an old D300 so I dont know if thats coming into it either.
    PM me if you would like me to send an image, I am at wits end

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you can view the images in CameraRaw, then the files themselves are not corrupt. The corruption is occuring due to something when you import to Lightroom

Try opening a file in CameraRaw and then using Save to save it in another format, TIF maybe. Then see if you can import that TIF file into Lightroom

if that works. Then you could open each one in ACR and convert it. Or you could download the Adobe DNG converter and convert the files to the DNG format (a whole folder at a time) and then import the DNG files into Lightroom : http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded and they are showing in NX2 thats all the files will allow me to do

- - - Updated - - -

If you can view the images in CameraRaw, then the files themselves are not corrupt. The corruption is occuring due to something when you import to Lightroom

Try opening a file in CameraRaw and then using Save to save it in another format, TIF maybe. Then see if you can import that TIF file into Lightroom

if that works. Then you could open each one in ACR and convert it. Or you could download the Adobe DNG converter and convert the files to the DNG format (a whole folder at a time) and then import the DNG files into Lightroom : http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows
    Hi Rick.. What is ACR and I use a MacBook Pro.. as for saving and importing as a tiff or jpeg into lightroom I got the same message grrr.. Im about to throw the whole lot if it wasnt so costly

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, double checked.. I cant even copy an image onto a USB drive.. JPG/NEF/TIFF formats

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ah ok. ACR is Adobe Camera Raw. You talked about using Camera Raw earlier, so I assumed you knew its acronym.

here is a link the the DNG converter for Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5485

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate its still not working even in jpg/tiff of any other format in regards to importing.

I just noticed with the images I looked at in ACR they have all reverted back to the way they were (rotated, uncropped etc).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try taking some photos with the camera now and see if they will import into LR. I reckon you have a lightroom import problem, not necessarily corrupt files.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try taking some photos with the camera now and see if they will import into LR. I reckon you have a lightroom import problem, not necessarily corrupt files.
    Tried that.. wont even import into Lightroom on my wifes laptop

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    did you download the DNG converter and try making DNG version of them, to see if they can be imported into LR?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I didnt.. there are 83 hidden files.. thats whats got me bothered

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of Lightroom?

In LR3 (on PC):-

1. at the middle top of the import screen are 4 options "Copy as DNG", "Move", "Copy", "Add". Which of these is highlighted? If not "Add" then change to "Add" and try import again. Also see 3. below

2. near the top right-hand side is a checkbox "Make second copy to:" Is this checked? If so look at the folder name shown below it and check it exists and has sufficient free space (a few Gb at least) and you have write permission to it.

3. If import method (in 1. above) is not "Add", have a look under the "Destination" pane on lower right and check that the highlighted folder exists (it should) and there is sufficient free space and that you have write permission.

If none of the above then I'm stumped ...

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried that.. wont even import into Lightroom on my wifes laptop
    Just saw this...Hmmm that pretty much means what I wrote above is probably not relevant.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you download the DNG converter and try making DNG version of them, to see if they can be imported into LR?
    Am converting now.. will let you know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    What version of Lightroom?

In LR3 (on PC):-

1. at the middle top of the import screen are 4 options "Copy as DNG", "Move", "Copy", "Add". Which of these is highlighted? If not "Add" then change to "Add" and try import again. Also see 3. below

2. near the top right-hand side is a checkbox "Make second copy to:" Is this checked? If so look at the folder name shown below it and check it exists and has sufficient free space (a few Gb at least) and you have write permission to it.

3. If import method (in 1. above) is not "Add", have a look under the "Destination" pane on lower right and check that the highlighted folder exists (it should) and there is sufficient free space and that you have write permission.

If none of the above then I'm stumped ...

Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this...Hmmm that pretty much means what I wrote above is probably not relevant.
    LR4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Warren, try clearing your temp files. You will need to search around with in both Adobe and your user profile within the documents and settings folder on Win or the equivalent in MAC and Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast