Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Speedlight contact corroding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speedlight contact corroding

Howdy all,
    Some time ago, I replaced my SB600 with the SB700.
    The '600 (which I'd had for some time) had developed such bad corrosion on one of it's hotshoe contacts that it went from sometimes reliable(!?) to unreliable, then to totally unusable as one of the contacts failed to connect at all.
    After researching a replacement foot for it, I decided to just 'bite the bullet' and replace it with the '700. Which I did.
    Well, the other day I put the SB700 on the S5 and the same damn thing happened (TTL failed to operate.) Gave it a wiggle on the mount and it came good. Took it off to look at the contacts - same deal, corrosion on one of the pins.
    I know it's probably my own fault, I'm pretty rough on stuff and don't look after my gear like I know I should. I can also think of plenty of times I've left the flash attached and in standby mode (overnight), which is most likely a great recipe for corrosion or electrolysis.
    (So a reminder to those who like me, sometimes take your gear for granted - don't. Give it a good wipe down, clean it and look after it.)
    I've given the contacts the once over with 'lectra clean', but I'm wondering what might be the best thing to coat it with to minimise any ongoing corrosion?
    Has anyone else had this happen - or seen it?
    Thank in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    any coating is likely to do just that, coat the contact, and lessen its ability to do its job..contact!

You might find someone who repairs electronic stuff could perhaps add some solder etc to the contact to build it back up and make it work again?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you clean the corrosion off with a smearing of WD spray?
    Spray the WD on a cloth and apply it that way, and not spray the flash directly.
    I can't that the contact is rusted through, and that the it's only a surface coating.

WD can do some amazing things sometimes.
    Also, if you do try it, I'd be inclined to leave a light coating of WD over the contacts to help protect them from more corrosion.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    any coating is likely to do just that, coat the contact, and lessen its ability to do its job..contact!

You might find someone who repairs electronic stuff could perhaps add some solder etc to the contact to build it back up and make it work again?
    I tried the solder thing on the SB600, it wasn't very successful, it's very difficult to get the solder to flow onto the contact without over-heating it and melting the plastic sleeve it sits in.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Can you clean the corrosion off with a smearing of WD spray?
    Spray the WD on a cloth and apply it that way, and not spray the flash directly.
    I can't that the contact is rusted through, and that the it's only a surface coating.

WD can do some amazing things sometimes.
    Also, if you do try it, I'd be inclined to leave a light coating of WD over the contacts to help protect them from more corrosion.
    Thanks AK, that's pretty much what I've decided to do from now on. It's a copper contact and it's oxidising, so you'd think anything that creates a barrier should work.
    Just surprised that it's happened twice to me, I've not seen or heard of it happening before.
    - if anyone has a dead SB600 or SB700 with a good hotshoe...

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's one trick to clean electronic contacts: - Clean the contact surface by gently polishing with an inkt-rubber-eraser -
    It is a rubber block to be used to erase pencil or inkt written text on paper. (from the olden days before the digital age).
    It is old trick used by computer friends at the 1st step repairing defective disc drives.