Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon International Warranty - VCAT ruling includes Australia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon International Warranty - VCAT ruling includes Australia

I came across an interesting and recent post in dpreview where someone appears to have challenged Nikon on their International Warranty in Australia - and won. I thought some of you may be interested in this.

"...If you buy a Nikon lens it comes with an international warranty which applies everywhere INCLUDING AUSTRALIA. Nikon have an amendment to the warranty posted on their web site [http://ww2.nikon.com.au/warranty.php] which says you must purchase through an Australian Nikon dealer for the International warranty to be valid. A friend has recently tested this with VCAT who upheld his claim against Nikon Australia and affirmed Nikon international lens warranties must be honored by Nikon Australia.

Clearly, Nikon has tried to change things to suit themselves and avoid servicing legitimate Nikon products - that just happened to be bought overseas and which carry an Nikon Corporation international warranty. So, it appears with lenses you are safe..."

I would be interested to see if this also applies to a Nikon camera body, and not just a lens - does anyone have any more info on this?
    Last edited by Kym; 03-01-2010 at 7:24pm. Reason: Fix URL

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ummm, with all due respect, Lenses have always had international warranties. Only the camera bodies have a warranty that is only valid in country of purchase.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to Mongo that no Tribunal, including VCAT, would have entertained the application and determined it unless their was a real issue to be determined. Therefore, Mongo must assume there was a issue where the applicant believed he or she had an international warranty on the lens but for some reason Nikon Australia was refusing to honour it – presumably on the basis of the wording in their warranty documents (which I have not seen).

If the wording and circumstances of the lens warranty is the same or similar to that which is on the Nikon bodies, the principles which came out of the VCAT judgement may well apply or at least, be argued in any challenge to the body warranties for bodies purchased outside Australia.

Mongo would certainly strongly consider challenging them in a Consumer Tribunal if it adversely affecting his interests and after looking at the terms of the judgement and the wording of the warranty.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see nothing on the Nikon Aus. website warranty page that is any different from that which has been there for quite some time stating that an international warranty applies to 'Conventional equipment (Lenses, Film SLR's compact film cameras & Speedlights)' which has been purchased from a legitimate Nikon dealer.

The question on the warranty on DSLR bodies has been asked, answered and tested in the past.
    The reasons are quite well outlined on their policy on grey imports page, the main reasons are that imported bodies may not have the correct charger and / or power cord which may lead to damage of the camera electronics.
    The other area is that the owners manual may not be in English which could lead to camera failure due to the operator/owner failing to read the warnings and not taking the precautions outlined in the manual to prevent such damage. ( It is assumed that all Australian residents are able to read English )

Finally, webchik, all VCAT rulings are made public, can you please provide a link or reference number for the particular ruling that you allude to -----------
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or at least some names... it would be here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/vic/VCAT/ but a quick name search on "Nikon" brings up nothing.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The info from the OP came from DPReview. A quick search finds where it was sourced from, but no links to VCAT or sources etc..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...3&changemode=1
    The post is right at the bottom of this page. I took a very quick look at the thread, there isn't much in it.
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok sorry I am being really stupid, but I am little reluctant as I am going to put $2K + down....

I want a 70-200mm VRii and I am looking at getting it from B&H with an international warranty.

As I would be saving $500+ even after shipping and GST, is it worth it? But mainly the international warranty would be honered here?

Roo
    Call me Roo......
    Nikon D300s, Nikon 35mm 1.8 DX, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Af-S, Nikon 18-200mm VR, Nikon 70-200VRII 2.8, Sigma 105 Macro, Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM, Tokina 12-24mm, Sb-600, D50, Nikon 1.7 T/C, Gitzo CF Monopod

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lenses are covered under international warranties, so if there is a manufacturing fault with your lens, you can send it to Nikon Aus for repair.
    Last edited by ricktas; 21-09-2010 at 1:55pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rick said, just retain the receipt from B&H for proof of purchase, and register i with Nikon if required. They will bail out of a warranty claim if you fail to meet your obligations should such registration be required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webchik View Post

" A friend has recently tested this with VCAT who upheld his claim against Nikon Australia and affirmed Nikon international lens warranties must be honored by Nikon Australia. [/B]"
    The reference to "a friend" in the dpreview immediately made me think it wasn't as it was presented

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read this on the Nikon USA site, seems a lot more specific than the Aus one.

Is the Nikon USA warranty valid outside the United States?

The Nikon USA warranty on film cameras, lenses, and speedlights will be honored by Nikon-authorized service centers outside the United States as long as you have the yellow copy of the Nikon USA warranty and your sales receipt from a dealer in the USA. The key to the validity of the warranty is a sales receipt from the country in which you purchased the equipment. If you purchase equipment in another country where the Nikon Worldwide Warranty applies, copies of the sales receipt and this warranty are necessary to obtain warranty service in the USA. Buying the equipment with a Nikon Worldwide Warranty in the United States is not recommended because that warranty is not valid in the USA without a sales receipt from an overseas dealer, and it is not valid outside the USA with a sales receipt from a dealer in the USA.

Please note that the Nikon USA warranty we supply with our sport optics products (binoculars, fieldscopes, spotting scopes, etc.) is valid only in the USA. The same is true of the Nikon Digital Imaging Limited Warranty we supply with digital cameras and film scanners.
    Roo

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding from talking to Nikon Aust service is that:
    yes, although Nikon lenses and speedlights have international warranty, the original product must be purchased in the country it was officially imported into.
    So it means Internet buying from BH of a US or "international" model does not qualify. U need to be in the states buying a USA model, then the warranty will be honoured in Aust afterwards.
    For all gray imports it doesn't mean they won't repair it tho, just not under warranty and with a charge.
    It's already better than Nikon usa's policy who won't even repair it even with a charge if it was bought gray.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    the original product must be purchased in the country it was officially imported into.
    That's the key phrase and subject to legal interpretation.

Scenario 1
    1. B&H import as a valid USA Nikon retailer (or via the Nikon USA authorised importer)
    2. You are in Noo Yawk and physically buy a lens from B&H
    3. You return to Oz
    4. It develops a fault
    5. You get it serviced under international warranty via Nikon Australia
    All good!

Scenario 2 (hmmmm)
    1. B&H import as a valid USA Nikon retailer (or via the Nikon USA authorised importer)
    2. You are in Sydney buy a lens from B&H over the net
    3. It gets posted and arrives in good condition, with receipts etc
    4. It develops a fault
    5. You get it serviced under international warranty via Nikon Australia ???
    Maybe they won't do this?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but the way I read it is I buy a lens from B&H and I get a reciept from B&H in the USA then the warranty is valid internationally. It doesn't matter where it was posted to after I bought it.

Surely if I buy the lens on the net in the US it is no different...get over this physically buying it in the store...

Roo

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rellik666 View Post
    I'm sorry but the way I read it is I buy a lens from B&H and I get a receipt from B&H in the USA then the warranty is valid internationally. It doesn't matter where it was posted to after I bought it.
    Surely if I buy the lens on the net in the US it is no different...get over this physically buying it in the store...
    IANAL...
    You would think so, but lawyers may have a different view.
    All I was demonstrating by the two scenarios is that it can be open to interpretation.

Clearly buying from B&H is different to some random eBay shop.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely what Kym said.
    The info I've been given verbally is that in Kym's scenario 1 it's A-Ok but scenario 2 won't be honoured under warranty. I have no background in law so I have no idea how legal that is but AFAIK, that's the policy.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to get around it as far as I can see is if u have a friend in the US and buys it for u there. Then ask him/her to ship it to u. Small distinction I know but possibly a big difference should something go wrong with ur lens.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the critical bit is that it (then lens) must be purchased from an authorised Nikon dealer.
    From the Nikon website.

All warranty repairs or adjustments must be made by a Nikon Service Facility.

ยท A claim under this warranty may only be made:

(a) if the equipment was purchased from an authorised Nikon dealer,

(b) upon presentation of the completed Nikon Worldwide Service Warranty Card (Copy 'C' , customer's portion), and

(c) upon presentation of proof of purchase. Proof of purchase may include the purchase receipt or any other evidence of purchase.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the whole thing stinks . They made it, they should cover the warranty no matter where in the world you purchased it or it breaks down. The whole thing is about getting out of honouring their tissue paper warranties and saving money.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 22-09-2010 at 11:46pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep..this whole convoluted policy sure does stink. But what I think's worse and at the root of the problem is the massive disparity between aust import prices and overseas prices. Yea they can blame it on additional freight costs, australia's isolation, taxes yadayadayada but it's still cheaper to buy at retail price overseas, pay for shipping of an individual item, pay the GST and still come out cheaper than Aust and they wonder why they have a gray import problem. Of course not on all products but there's enough out there for a thriving gray market.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast