Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon 60D / 8-15mm fish eye / SuperTele mk2s

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow -- that is a significant release, with some unusual items in the form of an L-series fish-eye zoom and an L-series variable-aperture zoom.

Lenses of the latter kind already exist, but I didn't expect Canon to introduce another.

I'll have more of a read about the new gear when I am home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a huge release. I wonder about the 70-300L, it sounds like the non-L but white... A slow lens for the 'L' tag.

The 60D is a bit wierd. After the great AF in 7D, they go back to the 9pt AF in the overdue 60D? That AF was poor when the 50D came out, and now 1.5yrs later??

And why do Extenders need a mk3? I thought an empty spacer would work, but these monsters have 9 lenses inside them!

Those long teles look good tho.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the 60D doesn't take CF cards, only SD.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/profes...ameras/eos_60d

JJ

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reaction View Post

And why do Extenders need a mk3? I thought an empty spacer would work, but these monsters have 9 lenses inside them!

Extenders are lenses that multiply the focal length of another len, empty tubes/spacers are extension tubes (for macro).

JJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 60D has been "repositioned"...
    Lost the force shield... magnesium alloy gone and replaced by plastic... (downgrade)*
    Lost the tractor beam... CF card gone and replaced by SD card... (downgrade)*
    All other improvements and enhancements.. I don't need.
    I guess it has ventured into no mans land territory between the 550D and 7D, both great cameras BTW, and it is "in between", in a limbo.
    I noticed a brand new 50D has a lower price tag than a brand new 550D on some sellers. Now that's a bargain...

*in my personal user terms.
    Last edited by RaoulIsidro; 26-08-2010 at 4:29pm.
    "The greatest camera in the world is the one you hold in your hands when shit happens." ©2007 Raoul Isidro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a reason for that... the 40D. The 50D left a what the heck with most users and owners of the 40D.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulIsidro View Post
    I noticed a brand new 50D has a lower price tag than a brand new 550D on some sellers. Now that's a bargain...

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the 60D as a HUGE improvement over the 50D at all.

Makes the people that got the cheap 50D's seem like they got an AWESOME bargain IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a sad day this is Looks as if (and I hate to say it) but Canon hasn't done its homework with this camera. What a let down it is. Its very very disappointing.
    Cheers Peter
    Canon 7D...Canon 40D...Canon 24-70L 2.8...Canon 70-200L 2.8...Canon 17-85...Canon 50mm...Speedlights....Tripods...Filters... Battery grips.... And heaps of other stuff

There are always two people in every picture.. the photographer and the viewer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand so far, Canon 40d handles noise better than the 50d because it has less pixels to cram onto the same size sensor.
    Now they have done another increase in the pixel department onto the same sensor which equals to worse noise issues
    Am I right in assuming this or have I missed something here ?
    The fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest with a sharp knife
    Canon 50D,
    Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, A very bright light, EF 50 f1.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon 40d handles noise better than the 50d because it has less pixels to cram onto the same size sensor.
    I think that debate has been done to death and the victor was the 50D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbikes View Post
    What a sad day this is Looks as if (and I hate to say it) but Canon hasn't done its homework with this camera. What a let down it is. Its very very disappointing.
    Very sad indeed, for the XXD series.
    It peaked at 40D
    Crashed at 50D
    Burned at 60D
    What a way to end a series...

Note:
    I have several 40D's, and they just increased in value by my standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously guys, how could they posistion another body so close to the 7D? Think about it from marketing, it makes sense. And if anything it is better for those upgrading as there are now better steps between the bodies as you go up the range.

I find the 8-15mm the most interesting release, I'm curious to what the price tag will be?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon's EOS product lines have increasingly become more confusing and more overlapping in terms of having some features of higher models, but with the trade-offs of lower models.

I remember the days when there were four DSLR grades:

1. entry-level (300D);
    2. mid-range (20D);
    3. high-end (1D Mark II)
    4. high-end full-frame (1Ds Mark II)

How much simpler things were then, eh?

As for the price of the 8-15/4L, I would expect this to easily be in the high $2K region.

I'm wondering if the price (and demand) for the existing super-teles will alter.

It'd be nice to pickup an outgoing 400/2.8 or 500/4 much cheaper, but what I can say is that my 300/2.8 doesn't need upgrading.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I don't see the 60D as a HUGE improvement over the 50D at all.

Makes the people that got the cheap 50D's seem like they got an AWESOME bargain IMO.
    Oh yea - I chose not to wait for the 60. Bought my new 50D for $820 from Teds. Am I a happy camper - he'll yea.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    As for the price of the 8-15/4L, I would expect this to easily be in the high $2K region.
    Supposedly $1400.00 USD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was not surprised by the 60d. Its a different line of camera. The 7d is the line I would now follow after my 50d - which is a great camera by the way. We haven't really lost out on choice of camera.

Love the new releases of lens. I was so excited when I saw this at work. I cannot afford one, but who knows in the future. that 500 F4 looks exciting for wildlife/birding.
    Shelley
    (constructive criticism welcome)

www.shelleypearsonphotography.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hus View Post
    From what I understand so far, Canon 40d handles noise better than the 50d because it has less pixels to cram onto the same size sensor.
    Now they have done another increase in the pixel department onto the same sensor which equals to worse noise issues
    Am I right in assuming this or have I missed something here ?
    I think your reasoning is wrong, but the result is about right. 50D didn't bring better performance vs 40D.

Thinking how the 40D brought so many new features vs 30D, and now 40D users have no reason to want the 60D. But they did need something to compete with the D90, they shouldn't have added so much to the 550D line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question will this effect the price of a 7D its been slowly dropping ???
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hus View Post
    I disagree with that, I find at 100% you may be correct but resize both images to the same size, or more importantly print the same size and the 50d is marginally better.. This does mean the extra resolution is only really helpful when not using high ISO, but it isn't worse at like sizes.

So the 40d -> 50d was an upgrade when you factor in better LCD and software upgrades, though a rather small one (better but not much reason to upgrade if you already have a 40d)..

The 50D -> 60d is a downgrade in a number of ways which is the cause of the disappointment in some people, though we now have the added option of the 7d which is a lot better in a lot of ways, my plan is just to wait while the 7d comes down (as it has been) and go that way. (DWI have it under AUD$1,500 already)..

The 60d would make a LOT of sense if like the Nikon D3100 it had AF in video mode, a lot of sense, without it well it is a little, meh..

Seems like a 550d replacement..
    Last edited by joele; 26-08-2010 at 9:23pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast