Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 sports, looking really good

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 sports, looking really good

any one been looking out for this lens? been looking at samples and i have to admit it's been exceeding my expectations

saw these couple sample pages:

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-...ample-Images-2

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-...r-600mm-f56-ED

second link it's comparing to nikkor 600 f5.6 PRIME and beating it...both lenses wide open the sigma actually looks better than the nikkor...amazing

i can't wait for comparison to the new canon 100-400L II that's just announced...may have the potential to make the canon look overpriced, also very interested in comparison to sigma's own 120-300 f2.8 sport + 2x tc

been wanting a "budget" wildlife/birding lens for a while...if all goes well this may be it

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting this instead of the Tammy.
    Major factor is the Sigma USB dock feature which allows the ability to adjust and update the lens as needed(if required).

I saw a user review comparing it to a Nikon 300/2.8 with and without a 2xTC, and the Sigma definitely looks like it's a winner!
    The Nikon 300 is definitely better overall, but at 600mm the Siggy holds it's own against the 300+ TC20EIII.
    I think it was posted on DPR.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballfreak6 View Post

second link it's comparing to nikkor 600 f5.6 PRIME and beating it...both lenses wide open the sigma actually looks better than the nikkor...amazing

Not really a comparison of any worth tho ... a brand spanking new design vs a 20-40 yo design .. says more for the ol Nikkor(that it's still competitive!) than it does for the Sigma.

I'll take the Sigma tho, as it has variable focal length when needed, and AF ... oh! and the ability to tweak it to a desired level.

As soon as a local store has one in stock(and I have a few moments to spare ), I'll probably get one too.
    Of course the $800 price premium is taken into account compared to the Tamron lens .. but for me the deal breaker is the USB dock accessory.
    Hopefully, one day, all lens manufacturers will realise that there is value in this sort of stuff for those of us interested in it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Not really a comparison of any worth tho ... a brand spanking new design vs a 20-40 yo design .. says more for the ol Nikkor(that it's still competitive!) than it does for the Sigma.
    lol oops I didn't realise that lens was so old, not as familiar with Nikon's line up

the other thing I noticed and was impressed by was that the bokeh quality does seem quite good particularly for a lens of this type

pricing looks real good too, digi direct has it for under 1900 for pre order I think, damn bargain in my opinion

when you look at the new 100-400L II that is coming out and I have no doubt it is going to be a stellar lens, but priced at ~$2500 I don't know if it offers that much more over the 150-600 (little bit faster, guessing slightly better IQ but shorter reach) and something like the sigma 120-300 2.8 where I am sure image quality would hold up even with 2x TC and versatility having 2.8 @300mm it would end up costing double the cost of the new 150-600 sorta makes you realise what great value the new 150-600 really is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Did you end up purchasing the lens and what are the results like in the field?

Richo

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richo View Post
    Hi,
    Did you end up purchasing the lens and what are the results like in the field?

Richo
    hey Richo i bought the lens for 1709 during digi direct boxing day sale and it only just arrived yesterday...it's been massively short (from what i've been told digi direct has only received the lens in single digits since release up until now)

i will be picking it up today...hopefully will get some time with it soon and will post back findings
    Last edited by basketballfreak6; 10-02-2015 at 10:44am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and here it is xD

after over 2 months of waiting... by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

first test shot. needless to say I was impressed

rainbow lorikeet by basketballfreak6, on Flickr
    Last edited by basketballfreak6; 10-02-2015 at 6:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive looking lens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfreak6 View Post
    any one been looking out for this lens? been looking at samples and i have to admit it's been exceeding my expectations

saw these couple sample pages:

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-...ample-Images-2

http://lcap.tistory.com/entry/Sigma-...r-600mm-f56-ED

i can't wait for comparison to the new canon 100-400L II that's just announced...may have the potential to make the canon look overpriced, also very interested in comparison to sigma's own 120-300 f2.8 sport + 2x tc

been wanting a "budget" wildlife/birding lens for a while...if all goes well this may be it
    The Sigma has slightly better contrast and the Nikkor prime clearly has better resolution (contrast can easily be added in post-processing). So the 600/5.6 can be used with TCs, not the Sigma.
    Last edited by Sar NOP; 27-02-2015 at 11:29pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha i've gotten the lens since...might as well post a couple shots i've taken with it here for people to see what it is capable of

warning i am very new to birding so keep that in mind as well...i am sure in more capable hands the images would be better

Splendid Fairy Wren (Female) by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

Superb Fairy Wren (Male) by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

collared kingfisher by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

willie wagtail by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar NOP View Post
    The Sigma has slightly better contrast and the Nikkor prime clearly has better resolution (contrast can easily be added in post-processing). So the 600/5.6 can be used with TCs, not the Sigma.
    Sar NOP. This sounds like advice, yet I am not sure of what you mean.

BB. As for "birding" pics, these are no slouches.

Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 28-02-2015 at 11:00am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Sar NOP. This sounds like advice, yet I am not sure of what you mean.

BB. As for "birding" pics, these are no slouches.

Am.
    thanks Am

tried taking a shot of the moon tonight with the Sigma, despite the heavy cropping and stacking with a 1.4x TC i think sharpness held up pretty well

The Moon by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure is!