Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: Sharpening Workflow

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharpening Workflow

I did a search for this but there's nothing I can spot re my particular question., certainly not in recent history.
    I am interested in a good tutorial or site that talks about the sharpening work flow, not necessarily the intricacies of the method itself (i.e. high pass layer in PS using setting x,y,z).
    but the workflow via the different methods and packages to a final file for a particular application

What I'm looking for is help on the workflow from Capture One through to:
    screen at say, competition entry size photos for AusPF
    screen at higher file size/pixel dimensions
    Print to various types of media
    etc.

I say starting with Capture One but I also use PS, and although not yet using it, I may look at Nik Sharpening. Previously I used LR and just chose the sharpen for screen option for a web based application (for example) but I'm now looking to make sure I am understanding the process properly so that I ensure the best result for a given application.

An example could be

For Web use
    Import RAW
    Ensure import sharpening is set to xxx in Capture one/or select pre sharpening preset Y in C1/.....
    do all PP in Capture One
    Save the file as a tiff at the required pixel dimensions
    Open PS and sharpen using high pass filter method (for example)
    For web use save using settings x,y,z

For Print to paper X

I realise that picking Capture One as the RAW processing software may limit my replies, but if anyone has any good sources of info related to the above I'd be grateful, even if more general and not software specific. I also realise that there are many ways to skin a cat, but if I can be pointed at a few cat skinning processes and helped to understand why particular steps are taken I can work out how I will best achieve the type of skinning I want to do.
    Cheers
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use Capture One - Pro 9.1 now. I generally leave the defaults on Capture One for sharpening and then save to 16bit TIFF. I then open in Photoshop CC and do a few tweaks in Photoshop, like using noise reduction plug-ins etc. Once I have done my adjustments in Photoshop, I reduce for web view, say to 1200pixels on the longest size if I am entering a photo into Ausphotography competition, otherwise I save to 1500pixels high for my photo hosting site. I then sharpen, but I use a plug-in called Power Retouche, great plug-in and very easy to use. Anyway, the trick is to sharpen as the last thing you do before saving to jpeg.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look on PHLearn (Aaron Nace) - search for the channel in youtube or web it. This guy is one of the Masters of PS and he has a few different vids on work flow. Such as sharpening for the web etc. I would be suprised if you didnt find what you wanted there.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I also use Capture One - Pro 9.1 now. I generally leave the defaults on Capture One for sharpening and then save to 16bit TIFF. I then open in Photoshop CC and do a few tweaks in Photoshop, like using noise reduction plug-ins etc. Once I have done my adjustments in Photoshop, I reduce for web view, say to 1200pixels on the longest size if I am entering a photo into Ausphotography competition, otherwise I save to 1500pixels high for my photo hosting site. I then sharpen, but I use a plug-in called Power Retouche, great plug-in and very easy to use. Anyway, the trick is to sharpen as the last thing you do before saving to jpeg.
    Thanks Lance. That sounds similar to what I was thinking, although I do notice that Capture one does a pretty good job of sharpening so I'm wondering how much to do in that. I was thinking of trying the Nik Sharpener plug in for PS as that has been recommended to me. Apparently it's "idiot proof". Not sure if that was a recommendation specifically for my needs .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    Have a look on PHLearn (Aaron Nace) - search for the channel in youtube or web it. This guy is one of the Masters of PS and he has a few different vids on work flow. Such as sharpening for the web etc. I would be suprised if you didnt find what you wanted there.
    Thanks Mike, that's a good idea, I'm a big fan of Phlearn and Aaron. Don't know why I didn't think of a Phlearn search myself.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Thanks Lance. That sounds similar to what I was thinking, although I do notice that Capture one does a pretty good job of sharpening so I'm wondering how much to do in that. I was thinking of trying the Nik Sharpener plug in for PS as that has been recommended to me. Apparently it's "idiot proof". Not sure if that was a recommendation specifically for my needs .

- - - Updated - - -
    I've got Nik Sharpener but found that Power Retouche was easier and simpler. It too is idiot proof and like you, why it suits me.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I've got Nik Sharpener but found that Power Retouche was easier and simpler. It too is idiot proof and like you, why it suits me.
    Why don't you use something like a high pass filter sharpening action on a layer in PS? Nice and adjustable and can be masked as needed. Not enough control for you? Doesn't work for a wide enough variety of your needs? Power Retouche gives you better results quicker/easier?

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Why don't you use something like a high pass filter sharpening action on a layer in PS? Nice and adjustable and can be masked as needed. Not enough control for you? Doesn't work for a wide enough variety of your needs? Power Retouche gives you better results quicker/easier?
    Yes, I think Power Retouche is quicker and easier. Just open, use my preset amount and apply. Finished.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learnt a couple of things from this.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...sharpening.htm