Quote Originally Posted by RubyKatz View Post
I don't seem to understand, I can figure the ISO out, I try to shoot at 100 most times unless inside or in the dark. I am getting better at the F stops, but the shutter speed somehow escapes my understanding. I have got the books, I have researched on line, I have hint cards and I try to practice when I find the time. I am not a natural.
Basic photography is not rocket-science. It's a lot like cooking for example, in recepies some things are taken for granted that may escape the pure beginner. You can learn cooking by just following recepies and re-create their exact results, but it takes a lot of time to fill in the blanks. Do you ever watch the show "masterchef"? The people that are in that show already know how to cook. Or do they? Most have been cooking for years - it's their hobby. But to learn making the perfect dish, they need hands-on experience, knowledgeable feedback and workshops. In that process, they stumble, fall deep, make silly mistakes. That's how they learn.

Books, or any written material in general IMHO, are not the best source to learn from for everyone. You may learn more from a good workshop, given by a good photography teacher.

I know from first hand how bad migraine and similar things may press on the ability to go out and make great pictures. I've suffered a pretty severe neck-injury that never completely healed. Right now, I'm seeing things through a tunnel, I feel pressure building up in an eyeball. Taking pictures in this condition would be a certain way to shoot mediocre pictures at best. No inspiration, too many things to think about when taking pictures. So I don't... Maybe tomorrow?