Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Memory card cost decreasing

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory card cost decreasing

As will everything technological, memory cards are decreasing in cost by the month. It has almost reached to point that their cost is inoffensive.

In preparation for another short trip, Mongo purchased an extra memory card for the D800 during this week.

He purchased a SanDisk Extreme Pro SD HC 1 32 gig (95mb/sec) card for under $90. Mongo thought this was comparatively a very good price and, in the overall cost of card/performance affordability, also much more reasonable than in the recent past.

Before Mongo gets the inevitable posts saying , "but is it a genuine one ?" - yes it is. The reason Mongo mentions this is that there have been confirmed reports of fake cards. Mongo does not have the time to photograph the card (back and front) and point to some of the features which dispel that it could be fake. A simple practicable test is also to set it to full frame RAW and hold your finger on the shutter button (with a fresh battery) and see how many frames you can manage before it stops shooting.

Others who will tell Mongo - " but 95mb/sec is only the 'up-to' speed and not the actual speed" - yes, but everything is relative and this card is relatively faster than one that says 45mb/sec or 60mb/sec etc. of the same brand.

Think of this as a good news story - the things we need to take photographs more efficiently are coming down.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go mongo, I have one of these too I purchased it not long ago and I paid considerably more than $90 the Sandisk Extreme Pro and the XQD card cost me $680 both from a local camera store I'm sure I could have gotten a better price but I didn't have the time to muck about. The cards are great gives me around 870 pictures per card. The only thing I was a little dissapointed about was I bought a couple of kensington CF cards 32 X600 so they were up there the camera does not want to know them. Still they were approx 100 each. But like you said memory cost is comng down and that is a good thing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the card works and you are happy with it, that is all that matters. I agree memory card prices are dropping, which is a good thing for us photographers.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought 3 32gb SD cards at $22 each. They are basically for backup but they seem to work at video speeds. Not bad.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I just bought 3 32gb SD cards at $22 each. They are basically for backup but they seem to work at video speeds. Not bad.

sounds good if they work at video speed. What speed are they ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly a good thing! Especially when I use dual card slot cameras in mirror mode, pretty much have to buy 2 of the same cards to be considered an individual card, so 3 different cards for me equals 6 cards
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.