Thread: Tall Tripod and head

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This depends on the way you travel, but Paul Heaths recommendation of the Leofoto 404C is what I'd recommend too.
    It's size is all you will ever need, unless you're plan on wearing 3 foot high heels at any point. Fully extended it's about 2m tall.
    But it's a bit wobbly 'fully' extended, which you most likely won't really need.
    Where this tripod comes into it's own is 3/4 extended, where you don't use those last smallest leg extensions.
    Other than some granite boulders, I can't think of anything more solid and rigid.
    I've hung myself off(at 3/4) it to test it's ability .. I weigh 100kgs.
    As you can see at TheCentreColumn, using it at 3/4 extension it's stiffness rating is 50% higher.
    I doubt that you would find a more solid or rigid tripod for the price(when used at the normal 3/4).

But like centercolumn says, it's not for long walks(ie. hours of walking) or overseas travel. Far too big and bulky.
    I walked with it(maybe up to an hour) and it's not that much of a problem, but it's definitely not a 'traveller' type tripod.

I've had Manfrotto(sorry folks but they're not worth the $s). I sold my 055. I still keep my 458B tho for it's unique capability.
    I still have my Gitzo GT3313, not quite a reliable as folks make them out to be. Good, yes, but for the money, I think Benros copies are better.
    Always wanted to buy a Benro based on some experience of other's tripods .. seem as good if not better in some ways.
    My issue with my Gitzo is that the centre column has failed itself. A locating pin that stops it from rotating has fallen out and the centre column, while it works, it twists as you tighten it down.
    I've removed it(as it was annoying) and just clamped the top plate directing to the legs.
    This level of Gitzo isn't worth the $s either. I used to think it was when I first got it, but having used a few Benros since then, I now know better.

So like I initially said, what you may really want will depend on the type of travel you do for your landscapes.
    My method of travel is always in car, drive around find places to take photos of use gear. This mode of travel makes it easy to use a massive set of legs like the Leofoto tho. Like I said, I may walk an hour maybe two(return) to some lookout point or whatever location, max I've done is 5 hrs. Camera always on tripod, ready to take shot, tripod over shoulder walk.

I've never done the jump on a plane with many packed bags to some confusing place where I'd need to rely on others to get me from place to place type travel.
    Don't need to be a genius to know that the LN404C is not ideal for this type of travel!

For quick setup of the camera on the tripod at any location, nothing will beat the Manfrotto 458B with it's hydraulic legs.
    This is the only reason I keep it. It's pretty unstable, but for ultra wide angle landscapes, this is not an issue. For something like astro, it will be.
    I think it's legs are made of freshly cooked spaghetti
    But no matter where you set yourself up, like the side of a cliff .. this tripod is a joy to set yourself up. The more difficult the location(ie. steep angle, uneven ground, etc.) this particular tripod seems to get better.
    I've also removed the centre column on this one too.

(basicallym I have three tripod, no centre columns!(other than the ones off the tripods now sitting in a draw somewhere!)

ps. my initial response to my knee and back issues with using a low tripod(basically all of them except the Leofoto) was to use centre column. Usually more of a pain than an advantage. If there is a breeze and you're not at UWA lens focal lengths, you will get some vibrations. Whether they will bother you is only for you to decide, but they will happen. Centre columns don't work!(why I removed it from my Gitzo). So, for a while my new anti back/knee pain was to set tripod to a lower level and use a small fold out tripod seat instead.
    Note I have a busted knee as well as a bad back. This worked well for quite a while for me, and it was also handy to have a seat if the walking track didn't have any rest stops along it's path too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    This depends on the way you travel, but Paul Heaths recommendation of the Leofoto 404C is what I'd recommend too.
    It's size is all you will ever need, unless you're plan on wearing 3 foot high heels at any point. Fully extended it's about 2m tall.
    At 3.4 Kg its a bit heavy for me.

My method of travel is always in car, drive around find places to take photos of use gear. This mode of travel makes it easy to use a massive set of legs like the Leofoto tho. Like I said, I may walk an hour maybe two(return) to some lookout point or whatever location, max I've done is 5 hrs. Camera always on tripod, ready to take shot, tripod over shoulder walk.
    Essentially what I do although if I'm to walk any serious distance I'll pack up for fear of damaging the camera.

ps. my initial response to my knee and back issues with using a low tripod(basically all of them except the Leofoto) was to use centre column. Usually more of a pain than an advantage. If there is a breeze and you're not at UWA lens focal lengths, you will get some vibrations. Whether they will bother you is only for you to decide, but they will happen. Centre columns don't work!(why I removed it from my Gitzo). So, for a while my new anti back/knee pain was to set tripod to a lower level and use a small fold out tripod seat instead.
    Note I have a busted knee as well as a bad back. This worked well for quite a while for me, and it was also handy to have a seat if the walking track didn't have any rest stops along it's path too.
    Thankfully I'm not to that state as yet. Just wear and tear on a late 50's spine and joints. Knee replacements run in the family!
    Canon 5Ds, 16-35mm F4 L, 24-105mm F4 L.