User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Woooo Hoooo! I'm off on an unexpected trip to Hong Kong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woooo Hoooo! I'm off on an unexpected trip to Hong Kong!

Hi Everyone

As my title suggests, I am off to Hong Kong.....a surprise from my hubby who has a meeting there next week. As it is school holidays, he is taking our daughter and I with him.

I have been doing quite a lot of research about shopping for camera gear over there and it is overwhelming to say the least! We are staying at the Hong Kong Sheratin Towers on Nathan Rd Kowloon. My research tells me do not go shopping for camera stuff on Nathan Rd as it is tourist rip off central!!

I have been reading Roland Lims guide to shopping in Hong Kong which is very useful but was wondering if anyone here has had recent experinces there/lived there and has any insider information on places that are safe to purchase from and or things that are a must see do!

Cheers Karen
    ps VERY excited
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Take a pea-soup piercing radar emitter and remove the radar blocking filter from your camera.
    2. Stick to that advice about buying camera gear.
    3. Enjoy the public transport - esp the trains - and wonder why Sydney can't have the like.

Apart from that, make sure you pack a pretty (or ugly) wide-as-you-can angle lens.
    Oh, 4. Have a good trip.

Am.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 14-04-2013 at 10:47am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm in the market for a Canon 10-22 and Kenko Pro 300 DG 2.0x Teleconverter. We can supply the cash reimbursement and a nice bedroom when you visit and deliver them to Mudgee.
    Hope others are more helpful and enjoy your shopping Karen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    We can supply the cash reimbursement and a nice bedroom when you visit and deliver them to Mudgee.
    mmm, that could be taken the wrong way. "We" is my better half and I. "You" x2, if he can make it.
    Anyway, I'll trust you to get the best price you can for my new equipment.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an adjunct. Now it's been some 18 months, but unless a heap of history has happened that I am unaware of, I can't remember seeing any
    "great bargains" or standout prices in my meanderings through many photo-stores in both Singapore and in HK.
    Now I could be wrong! But I would not get too many expectation up about what you can hope to buy as bargains compared to/from here.
    Am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I'm in the market for a Canon 10-22 and Kenko Pro 300 DG 2.0x Teleconverter. We can supply the cash reimbursement and a nice bedroom when you visit and deliver them to Mudgee.
    Hope others are more helpful and enjoy your shopping Karen.

- - - Updated - - -Nice try Mark

mmm, that could be taken the wrong way. "We" is my better half and I. "You" x2, if he can make it.
    Anyway, I'll trust you to get the best price you can for my new equipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having worked and lived in HK and go there still every 6 months, I can say its cheaper to buy from DWI in Aus than going into any camera store in HK, even the best ones.

Since you are there you can check out Wing Shing Cameras on Sai Yeung Choi St, Mong Kok, they are very good, but still not as cheap as DWI - which is kinda ironic since they are also from HK, but less overheads being online I guess.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    Having worked and lived in HK and go there still every 6 months, I can say its cheaper to buy from DWI in Aus than going into any camera store in HK, even the best ones.

Since you are there you can check out Wing Shing Cameras on Sai Yeung Choi St, Mong Kok, they are very good, but still not as cheap as DWI - which is kinda ironic since they are also from HK, but less overheads being online I guess.
    Hi JM Tran thanks for the info......I had already begun to realise what you are telling me after looking at some websites that tell you the current street price of camera gear in Hong Kong. eglobal has the 5diii for $2549!!!! at the moment. would be hard to beat that price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be buying from DWI/EGlobal and concentrating on trying as much awesome food as I could fit in

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    I'd be buying from DWI/EGlobal and concentrating on trying as much awesome food as I could fit in
    Thanks Courty! I will definitely be cramming in as much delicious authentic food as i can!!! I would say at least 70-80% of my everyday cooking is Asian or Asian style food!!!