Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPhone or Android?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

iPhone or Android?

As some members would know, a few months ago I got rid of my iPhone (having had one since version 1 - bought it in the USA), and swapped to Android based Samsung Galaxy S2. One of the reasons was I was sick of being ripped of by Apple everytime I wanted to buy an App.

A good example is The Photographers Ephemeris

On iTunes for purchase with your iPhone or iPad it costs $8.99 whilst via Android Market it is $4.81

Having been a past Apple user, I really do not understand how Apple is going to survive long term, when Android is offering the same stuff at reduced prices. If Apple is not careful, it could go the way of Kodak
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Free for the desktop and you have to pay $8.99 from Apple. Does not seem right.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in 2 minds at the moment, had an iPhone, went to Android, but now having doubts.
    There are a few things that interest me that are only available on iPhone, mainly some of Scott Kelby's stuff, they only do iPhone/iPad apps, but that is the only stuff that I wish I could get, so probably won't be enough to switch back
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android might make more from the app store than apple does, but you have to remember apples produces handsets as well as own the market, they make hundreds of millions from the handsets so even if they lose a couple million dollars due to people buying things on the android market place they won't be worried.

I can't see apple becoming like kodak ever really.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Android is growing very fast and will be the dominant force in smartphones in the not too distant future. Apple have made great products and set the bar high, but they are greedy and will push developers, companies and customers away.

Android all the way for me!
    Mic

Photography is the art of telling stories with light.

www.michaelgoulding.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too just got a android Phone, also a Galaxy S2..all I can say is wow...its so good to be able to leave Itunes behind and apple formats....now I can load up divx shows straight from Windows explorer ...also the "all share" app is amazing..the other night I was streaming a hi res show from the phone to a TV..and watching a show from a NAS on the phone..all this over a wireless N network..I was amazed ... obviously its not just the android OS..but it all part of the package....plus the Galaxy S2 is quite a piece of hardware...FLASH is back..

as far as apps go...there are many more free apps on the Android market place that I would have been buying in the apple app store ....I almost went for a Iphone 4s..as I was upgrading from a 3Gs..so glad I read some reviews and didnt follow the flock...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apple presumably wont go the way of Kodak, that leason has been learned, one hopes.

I went to Android 10 months ago and don't think I would go back. I haven't found anything I really want that isn't available in market.

My wife decided she wanted to upgrade her phone to a smart phone so we went off to a Telstra shop in Shepparton. In the end it took about 2 hours for her to decide which one she wanted (me - had to have the blue tick, her - colour, size, etc; ). In that time it seemed that the androids were being signed up at about twice the rate of iphones
    Last edited by Boo53; 30-12-2011 at 10:29pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyza View Post
    Android might make more from the app store than apple does, but you have to remember apples produces handsets as well as own the market, they make hundreds of millions from the handsets so even if they lose a couple million dollars due to people buying things on the android market place they won't be worried.

I can't see apple becoming like kodak ever really.
    But the point is people are getting rid of their Apple products, simply cause of the amounts they are being charged for Apps etc. So Yes Apple make the handsets, but if people stop buying those handsets etc, then they are going to feel it.

I agree they make great products, but the market is leapfrogging over them at present and they may just find they are the follower, not the leader in the next year or two, unless they react to the market forces and rework their iTunes AppStore into a more cost competitive model.

Even the comments in this thread from those who are using/converted to Android products shows that Apple have a fight on their hands. Their domination may soon be threatened and they may not know how to deal with that, cause its been a long time since anyone competed with Apple at their own game, and beat them.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agb View Post
    Free for the desktop and you have to pay $8.99 from Apple. Does not seem right.
    The reason for TPE being free on the PC is to to with the licencing agreement for the use of Google maps. I believe they can use Google mapping for free if they don't charge for the product but it costs and arm and a let for PC licencing for commercial software. Different licencing arrangements in the other platforms.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a Samsung Galaxy S II early on it its life. I like the large screen and was wary of the iPhone as no provision of external memory. I have all my old MP3 player songs and a lot of my "show" photos on a Micro SD card in the Samsung.

Will be downloading TPE very soon now that I know it is available for Android.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Android phone but wish the hardware accessories abound like those for the IPhone. I would love a charging dock / alarm radio setup, many manufacturers make them, but only for an IPhone. That's where Apple has it sew up.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
    I have an Android phone but wish the hardware accessories abound like those for the IPhone. I would love a charging dock / alarm radio setup, many manufacturers make them, but only for an IPhone. That's where Apple has it sew up.
    Agree.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russell is right. Apple have done one thing right in regards to have a consistent dock format that manufacturers can work with. Android is a bit all over the place with connectivity and handset design so accessories are harder to get and have less variety.

I also think that the cross section of the community posting here are likely to be a little more demanding of their tech. Apple have an advantage when marketing to the mass consumers, their product is simple and it does what it does very well (with the exception of iTunes )

Apple will have a market for a long while yet I reckon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my post earlier I wasn't saying I preferred apple, I too will be purchasing an android smart phone (Sony Experia ARC)
    I think that tech savvy people like most people on this site (after all we all have pretty darn expensive electronics) will choose android phones as they understand that android phones compete and in some cases beat the latest iPhones. The truth is however most people don't know squat about phones and simple get iPhones because it's the stylish cool phone to get that everyone else has.

Heaps of my friends have the iPhone 4S and will upgrade it when the new one comes out despite the fact they do nothing but call, text, listen to music and play angry birds on it.
    Last edited by Cyza; 31-12-2011 at 7:34am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Even the comments in this thread from those who are using/converted to Android products shows that Apple have a fight on their hands. Their domination may soon be threatened and they may not know how to deal with that, cause its been a long time since anyone competed with Apple at their own game, and beat them.
    Android is already dominant, and has been for some time. However, I think you'll find Apple will be around for a while.

From US figures over the past 3 months to november, Android is the top smartphone OS (46.9%) with iOS second (28.7%). Bothe increased market share since august at the expense of Nokia, Microsoft and RIM. (ref macrumors).

FWIW, I currently do not have a smartphone, but if/when I go, it will be an iPhone. I like the simplicity and consistency. For the $40 I'd spend on apps (based on iPad usage), app store prices are not really an issue.
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Android user here.
    On a slightly different angle: Due to licensing issues, shared devices in corporate/education environments require more purchases (ie: Per App, per device). There would be some regaining of App sales due to those requirements.

If / When, Apple decide to allow a better structure for licensing and device management, I'll be much happier. (I'm not holding my breath!)
    Matt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer_rob View Post

FWIW, I currently do not have a smartphone, but if/when I go, it will be an iPhone. I like the simplicity and consistency. For the $40 I'd spend on apps (based on iPad usage), app store prices are not really an issue.
    Rob

It doesn't appear that apps/tunes cost is the only price issue.

From what I could see yesterday in Shep the cost for a 16gb Iphone with exactly the same "calls included" and other add ins was $15-30/month more than the cost for exactly the same level of service on my wifes Motorola.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real issue is that the people aren't buying the iPhone, the phone companies are!
    Large US based telco's have been buying en masse(in the order of 30million or so) under contracts to get in early for an expected rush of customers wanting Apple products.

Apple still have the contracts to survive unless the market turns badly for them in a rapid manner(highly unlikely) and the telco's go out of business by way of mis reading how the market is going.

If telco A has 30million iPhones that nobody wants, and telco B has the galaxy that everyone now wants, then telco B is going to profit and telco A has to readjust to the market demand(making a large loss in the mean time.

Apple will survive for a while yet, but will most probably change course(drop prices) as the market dictates.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Galaxy SII user - very happy with the android system. Great phone, aside from its poor reception once away from town (put a patch lead in to external aerial though, and now has better range than the old nokia car kit).
    I was led to believe that one advantage of the apple apps is that they are not as prone to hacking/viruses as the android apps. Is this correct?

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably an important consideration before choosing a phone...

http://youtu.be/_S8sxpK4_iA

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast