Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Image size for TV viewing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image size for TV viewing

Hi all,

I've been asked to supply a slide show of some photos I have taken for a local triathlon club so they can be viewed on presentation night, and I'm not too sure what size to make the images,

Now I'm not sure, but it looks like they could be shown on a LCD between 32 and 40 inches and will be played through a standard DVD player.

I've tried searching but I just can't to seem any info that can help me, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very thankful.

Jayde
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive shown photos like this on a bigger screen and they were 1024 x 800 and about 300K in size.....seemed ok
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kiwi,

I hadn't planned on anything like this happening, so it's kind of caught me off guard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do have a tv right ?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    You do have a tv right ?
    Darren this was the club presidents idea, he just asked me today if I'd mind if they could have my photo's playing on a slide show for the members to see during the night, so he's organising the equipment needed, so all I know so far is that the TV will be between 32 & 40 inches, (they're sourcing the screen through the sports club where they're holding it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually highest resolution TV´s have now 1920x1080 resolution (1080p) only have seen bigger res on computer monitors and maybe some proyectors. Thus you should size for 1920 for the landscape ones and 1080 for the protrait ones, the DVD or TV should resize if it has smaller res but try at home anyways.

regards
    Alejandro
    From the end of the World with a Nikon D90, Nikon 16/85 3.5-5.6 and Sigma 30 1.4
    Come and visit!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I was scrolling through this thread, I was thinking, I wonder what resolution the screen is, Patagonia got onto it first. Agree that you need to know the screen resolution for it to size correctly. Also find out if it has a USB port or an SD card port (mine has), and you don't need to burn to DVD, just plug in the USB, select the photos and view them (same with SD card port). I think you need access or at least model details of the screen they will be using, well before the event so you can do it the easiest and best way.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that if you have a tv why not try it yourself at home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two things to consider here. You may have a HD tv (1080p or 720p), but the DVD player would need to be able to upscale to take advantage of the tv resolution.

All PAL dvd discs are 720x576. To take advantage of the 16:9 wide screen, you need to make sure your image is exported in that format at 72ppi. As mentioned it would be a great advantage if you can play them back from a USB.
    James

flickr | jameslagden.com | Redbubble

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EFS 17-85 | 580 EX II

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day all

Everything above is "normal & correct" ~ but on my travels I meet people with 10mpx & 12mpx twin-lens kit systems who believe that by displaying those camera images on their laptop or tv, that display device automatically becomes a 10 or 12mpx display

Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    As I was scrolling through this thread, I was thinking, I wonder what resolution the screen is, Patagonia got onto it first. Agree that you need to know the screen resolution for it to size correctly. Also find out if it has a USB port or an SD card port (mine has), and you don't need to burn to DVD, just plug in the USB, select the photos and view them (same with SD card port). I think you need access or at least model details of the screen they will be using, well before the event so you can do it the easiest and best way.
    Thats because I have the whole day to come with an answer while you guys sleep

Good point regarding DVD´s and upscaling, BRay will be ok but with a normal DVD you will get less resolution and either the DVD or TV will upscale (invent the missing pixels) results are not very bad but I will too suggest to use USB directly or a computer...I´m sure you can find someone with a computer (and the correct cable) to hook up!!

regards

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And meanwhile, grab a widescreen TV and try it. Get as close as you can to the TV's actual resolution, because re-sizing images on the "fly" - loosely used - with a DVD player is -fully slow.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put together some presentations for the footy club last year. Like you I searched the net and was surprised at how little info there was.

Because I didn't know much about the equip to be used I decided to put the slideshows into a DVD (as in an encoded dvd, not just jpegs copied onto a dvd disk, if that makes sense) because this would at least be playable on any equipment. I decided to make the input jpeg files 1800 x 1200 at around 1Mb in size. I used Windows Movie Maker to create a wmv slideshow from the jpegs. However this step compressed the images to be around 700-800 pixels in height (I guess 720 ?) causing some obvious pixelation in the process. The pixelation was obvious when running the wmv file on my PC and when running the generated dvd on my tv (37", 1366 x 768). However when I ran a test dvd on the tv/dvd-player at the club the images looked quite good and sharp. I don't really know why this was, except that the club tv was larger and probably higher resolution than mine. It may have been something to do with the dvd being upscaled by the dvd player? (I didn't try remaking the wmv using jpegs with a height of 720px but this might have eliminated the pixelation in the wmv file?)

My home dvd player is capable of playing jpegs from a cd/dvd. However for some reason the images are boosted in size and then cropped top and bottom, so they look pretty crappy on screen. My tv has a USB port at the side which will also play jpegs as a slideshow. This works quite well - images that fit within the screen resolution are shown correctly and those larger than the screen resolution are compressed to fit but the quality is still quite good.

As others have stated, the more you know about the target equipment the better prepared you will be. Let us know how you get on...

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very big thanks to all, I did post a thankyou earlier, but I mustn't have hit post.

I did a sample disc up through windows media @ 1920 wide for landscape profile, and 720 on the long side for portrait and played it through the PS3 on my 42 HD TV and was pretty happy with the results, from a realistic distance they actually looked pretty good, so hopefully they'll be ok on the night.

If all goes well and I'm asked back next year, I'll do the whole setup myself.

Again, thankyou everyone for your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea the PS3, think it can deliver 1920x1080 as a Bluray disk...but will they use that one in the night?

...ups, think i´m late...
    Last edited by Patagonia; 19-03-2011 at 5:02am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also depends on if you are using a program to create the slideshow too. I use Proshow Producer sometimes to create documentary type slideshows, with music and all the panning and zooming etc. The program will scale the photos for me automatically, or I can choose the format of the TV I want it to be show in, whether its widescreen 19:6, or the older TVs at 4:3 format etc.

I didnt need to resize my photos so I threw in anything from 20mb to 5mb, even facebook downloads at 80kb looks decent on any TV!