Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 "decent" lens for my first body

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 "decent" lens for my first body

After spending numerous weeks reading & researching, changing my mind 1000 times, and almost buying several times, I have decided to buy a body and 1 lens to get me going. Like many, I have champagne tastes on a beer income!
    I am still undecided on 550d, 50d or 60d body... decision to be made hopefully by Sunday. This will be my 1st DSLR as I am leaping up from an Oly 5050

So... which lens

I love macro so I will definitely get a lens later for that, what I need is a decent starter lens.
    Landscapes would be my next favourite type of shooting followed by people/portraits. I am looking at the Canon EFS 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM - it's a bit more than what I budgeted for, but am thinking to buy lenses that will last me a long time without the $1000+ tags at this stage.

IMHO there at too may lenses to choose from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM has some good cred, but although the range is terrific, especially at the wide end, its not particularly fast, and this might compromise some portrait opportunities. I would suggest you have a look at the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 which also has vibration reduction. I don't have this lens but it was high on my list when purchasing. I don't do a lot of landscapes! With 1.6 sensor crop factor you are getting into a reasonable portrait range, and you have a fast lens to boot. And its half the cost of the Canon. You can then follow through with medium or long telephoto and macro later as budget allows.

Cheers

berni
    Berni

""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the body topic. First decide if you really need or want video . There are some good deals going on the 50D now that the 60 is here. Shop around. Your lens choice should be influenced by your genre, ie landscape , birds, sport, ect. If your on a tight budget, just get the body you choose, and a 50mm 1.8. The nifty fifty is a great little lens and will cover a lot of areas, and its fast. Then choose which kind of lens you want next. Take your time now and you will save a lot of money down the track. The 15-85 is a good lens, But, it is still primarilly a kit lens. It sounds like you want to get serious, so you will probably not be happy with the 15-85 later on. You like landscapes so later you will want/need a 10-20 range wide angle. Then you will discard your 15-85. See what I'm getting at ? Your right. There is a lot out there. But you can narrow it down bit by bit. You could not fault a nifty fifty to start off with. Cheap, fast and sharp. Best of Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the same predicament. About to buy my first DSLR and have changed my mind on lens about 5 times! And the body well after going from 500D to 550D then to 60D I am now back to 550D so I can spend more on a good lens.

I have most recently settled on likely getting the 15-85 as well because I like the wide end for landscapes whilst still having decent zoom. It should be a versatile lens for me as a main duty lens.

To address the concerns about speed and for portraits work I will subsequently get a 30ish to 50mm prime, possibly the Canon 50mm F1.4 if I can stretch my budget but otherwise the 1.8 is still very good value from all reports.

At a later stage a decent 70-200 will complete my (3) lens setup.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the older Tamron 17-50 non-VC, it's far better and much cheaper.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silkdiver, I went through the same decession process. I didn't want video as PH005 has mentioned, I brought the 50D and am more than happy with it, I was per the Can on another old Oly user, The 7D is a great camera, but it was a little more of a stretch for me bucks wise, and it's got video that I didn't want, with that said, you dont have to use it I know. The 60D is getting some bad press of late, try http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos60D/ and also http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...a-Reviews.aspx The second one will give you a good read on all recent models and also you can go to the lens section from there. Like I said in the macro link, try Stu from Quality Camera Sales and other site sponsors, They may/should be abler to hook you up a great deal.
    ?. Do you need/want video
    ?. FPS (frames per second) do you need fast FPS
    ?. Will you up-date to Full Frame at a later date
    ?. Weather proofing, ad that to the lens as well (brings the cost up)

Go and try them in your hand at a good store near you, try sdifferent lenses on the bodies, see what deal you can get, and as mentioned above, (fast lenses smaller F stop I.E F2.8 against F3.5 -) will cost more, but give you better picture quality and react better to more lighting conditions, Landscape, night.low light, sunrise - sunsets.

Good luck with you choice.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find the extra cash and get the EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. 17-55 equates to 27.2-88mm on a full frame. This is a great lens and my everyday walk-around piece of glass. I use it for everything from reasonable closeups (flowers etc) and portraits to landscapes and anything in between. It's already fast at f/2.8 and the Image Stabiliser further extends the capacity to shoot in low light without a flash. It's just a a great piece of glass...and great lenses are three quarters of great images. Cheers
    Sean

Gear: Canon AE-1, EOS 40D & 350D; Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 85mm f/1.8 USM; EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro; EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM; 430EX Speedlite; Manfrotto 190XDB with 804RC2 head

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo View Post
    Get the older Tamron 17-50 non-VC, it's far better and much cheaper.
    I have to agree - I also have the non VC model and though I can't speak for the new VC model, this one is a very capable and NICE lens for the money. It is not L glass but man, it is as close as you will get without buying "L" and at the price it is excpetional value.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I did when in your situation a few months back. I bought a 500D twin lens kit. 18-55 and 55-250. These are good enough lenses for a beginner. I also bought a good tripod for Landscapes, which you can also use for your Portrait work.
    Then you go out and take photos when ever you can. You will see each time you go out your photos will get better. If down the track you find that these lenses are no longer keeping up with your abilities then you can upgrade.
    Its easy to get caught up in all the hype of which lens is better for which situation, but at the end of the day you will still be taking some good photos with your kit lens while you improve your technique and decide on your direction. My direction changes weekly as I discover new subjects to photograph.
    Canon 500D.....EFS 18-55 - EFS 55-250
    Hoya Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the TAMRON-SP-AF-17-50MM-F2.8-XR-DI-II-VC-LD-IF (72mm filter diameter) and it's brilliant! - Closeups-Portrait-Landscape.
    Local around $750
    Grey is around $430 at DWI and $475 at DCTrade who have free shipping and free UV filter (72mm).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Flash Hit;719916]I have the TAMRON-SP-AF-17-50MM-F2.8-XR-DI-II-VC-LD-IF (72mm filter diameter) and it's brilliant! - Closeups-Portrait-Landscape.

I just spent some time looking at this lens, sounds great for a starter ( multi use) lens and within my budget TY
    Last edited by silkdiver; 11-11-2010 at 8:39pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Roosta
    ?. Do you need/want video
    ?. FPS (frames per second) do you need fast FPS
    ?. Will you up-date to Full Frame at a later date
    ?. Weather proofing, ad that to the lens as well (brings the cost up)

Video - I will most likely play with it, will I take it further? no idea
    FPS - Nice to have but not a necessity
    Update to Full Frame - not in the foreseeable future
    Weatherproofing - I am all for that

I am now leaning towards to 60D as it is only $140 dearer than the only new 50D I can find, all the 2ND hand 50D's are asking almost the same price. The 550D is fading to the background with only a $230 price diff from the 60D.

I "think" as I am buying from scratch, not upgrading that it would make more sense to go for the newer camera as there is not much difference in price.

At this stage, I have almost made a final decision, subject to change tomorrow lol

My biggest problem is that I over analyze things.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silkdiver View Post
    My biggest problem is that I over analyze things.
    Are you sure?

Perhaps you should think about that more carefully. Try sitting down with a notebook and a pencil, writing down reasons why you think this might be so. On another sheet of paper, write down the reasons why you think it might not be so. Carefully compare the two lists, marking any pairs of reasons that seem to match. You can study these ones more thoroughly later. Try asking your friends if they believe you over-analyze things, then compare their answers with your own. Then, you can begin .........

er ... sorry ... couldn't resist.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to go to your local camera shop. Ask if you can have a feel of a camera. Don't just stick with one brand, try them all. I know that because I have a missing index finger on my right hand I have trouble holding a Canon. Where the Nikon feels quite comfortable. Lenses are another story. Nikon has a 18-105mm Vr lens that is ideal for landscape and portraiture, at a fairly cheap price. I'm sure other brands will have something similar.
    Firstly get a camera that is able to handle any lens. It must feel comfortable in you hand, with easy reach to all buttons and dials.
    Make sure you have a basic understanding of all the functions of the camera, and look through the user manual and see how easy it is to read.

Best of luck....
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Silkdiver,

I'm a former Pentax user, but recently picked up a new 50D and 15-85 IS USM lens, and I'm very happy with both of them! It seems to be a great combination in my opinion. The 50D is a stronger build than the newer 60D, and if you shop around you should be able to pick up a new 50D body for about $850. I think it's better value then the 60D at that price, especially if you're not really interested in video.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Canon 50D; EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 70-200mm f/4L USM; EF 35mm f/2; Tamron 90mm macro

My flickr photostream

CC welcome on any of my images!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
    Hi Silkdiver,

I'm a former Pentax user, but recently picked up a new 50D and 15-85 IS USM lens, and I'm very happy with both of them! It seems to be a great combination in my opinion. The 50D is a stronger build than the newer 60D, and if you shop around you should be able to pick up a new 50D body for about $850. I think it's better value then the 60D at that price, especially if you're not really interested in video.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Stephen
    Couldn't agree more with these comments, the retailers are going to "rob you blind" with the 60D for the time being. With Xmas coming up they will have an absolute field day with the NEW AND WONDERFUL 60D. Apart from using the 7D sensor and adding HD movie feature, I really cant see much improvement over the great 50D, tried and true machine with all its faults already revealed and there's not many of those!!!
    I also bought a Sigma 17-70 VR and thought it a nice piece of glass for the price.
    Richard
    I've been wrong before!! Happy to have constructive criticism though.Gear used Canon 50D, 7D & 5DMkII plus expensive things hanging off their fronts and of course a "nifty fifty".

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    • Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a well-regarded lens, but you have to accept that it is quite short for a general-purpose unit at just 50mm.
    • The new stabilised version gets a rather poor review at that best and most reliable of all Internet review sites, The Digital Picture. See http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    • The focus motor is nothing like as smooth, precise and classy as the Canon USM motors on lenses like the 15-85, 17-85, 10-22, 17-55, 60 macro, and most L Series units.
    • The Canon EF-S 15-85 IS is not, repeat NOT a kit lens. It is a high-quality mid-range lens similar to (for example) the EF-S 60 macro, the EF-S 10-22, the EF 85/1.8, and the EF 70-300 IS. The fact that you can sometimes buy it as part of a body kit is not relevant - you can buy the 24-105L IS in a kit too, and no-one ever called that a kit lens.
    • The only genuine drawback of the 15-85 is that it's rather slow. Oh, and it isn't cheap, but quality never is.
    • It is quite silly to suggest that if you get "a 10-20 range wide angle then you will discard your 15-85". Why on earth would you do that? You'd keep both, of course, just as I shoot with a 10-22 and my 24-105, and back before that I used the 10-22 and my old 18-55 side-by-side.
    • The 15-85 has excellent range - much wider than any competitor, and longer than most too.
    • The old Tamron 17-50 non-VC does have the reputation for being better. But it doesn't have the IS that some others have, and htat is important.
    • The 50D is a real camera. The 550D and top some extent the 60D are plastic quasi-toy cameras. Yes, you can take great pictures with them, but the lack of proper controls on the back is a real handicap. Yes, I owned one of those quasi-toy cameras for a while, and it was as great little unit, but in the end I found the difficulty of controlling it without a back wheel too tedious and got rid of it. Get a 50D.
    • EF-S 17-85 is a truly wonderful lens. Nobody makes a better one. But it's dear! Can you live with the cost? Your call.
    • There is A LOT of sense in the argument that you should start with a minimalist kit - a little plastic 18-55 IS for example - and save your money for the day when you have mastered the camera and know exactly what you want from your lenses. There is no perfect! You MUST compromise, and (this argument says) you are best to delay deciding on your compromise until you have hands-on experience to guide your purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a first I would leave the 550 alone and let those with a penchant for the latest, newest.. blah blah 60D alone for a first time buyer- Go with the 50D..a well tested work horse that will rarely let you down and can take some abuse...Not as fancy and gadgety as the 7D BUT what are you trying to do, look good (60D) and have the latest entry level camera..no ? Good, move on .. as for the 7D If I am going to spend that kind of money I would be saying screw it and go all the way with LBJ and go for a FULL FRAME camera...5D or 1D models...cant afford that / Okay back you go to the 50D body and wait just another 3-4 weeks when the Aussie dollar flips out to 1.10 US and camera places are doing the desperate bid to get your dollar.. then buy a 50 NEW : Camera body decision made- as for a first lens if it has to be one and not too exy the EF-S 15-85 IS would be a good start, have to agree with others about this suggestion. You will find your experience will guide you to changes later but the 50D with the EF-S 15-85 IS is definitely not an unwise combo to start with.
    Comments and CC welcome..

Gear: Canon 6D & 1Ds Cameras l Canon EF 17-40mm F 4.0 L USM l Canon EF 24-105mm F4.0 L IS USM l Canon EF 70 - 200 F4.0 L USM Lenses I Manfrotto Tripods I Adobe Photoshop CS6 l Lightroom 3.0 I Lee Filters

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." Marcel Proust 1871 - 1922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to try and clarify a little on what I meant by discarding a 15-85.... If down the track by the way Silkdiver is talking, he does get a 90 or 100 macro and a 10-something wide angle, throw in a super cheap nifty fifty, then I think he will not get as much use from a 15-85. I still think he would be really happy with a body and 50 1.8 for starters. Plenty of gadgets that you need also, ie, bag, tripod, filters, flash. Then decide what first dedicated lens he wants/needs. I hope this helps just a little. Or just adds to the confusion.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG I think I might go buy a motorbike instead! Oops... already done that this year!

It's down to either the 50D or the 60D with only $125 difference in price now. Most of you seem to be suggesting I get the 50D. I can certainly understand that if you have/had one already, and yes it is tried and tested. I would love to hear from a few that have the 60D (aNyBoDy ????)

As for the lens, I am going to get a nifty fifty just so I can take pictures and then go "play" with lenses in the shops.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast