User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  35

Thread: How can I view my computer on my TV ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all very much for your help. I's most appreciated.

Although I've been building my own computers from scratch for fifteen years, I've never needed WIFI so it's all new, and confusing, to me.

I should state at this point that I only want to watch whats on the computer on the TV, and not operate the computer from the TV.

Below is a snip from the manual of the Telstra T-Gateway that I have.

T-Gateway snip.JPG

As per the set-up instructions my phone is connected to the far left green port, my computer is connected to the GbE port next to the red WAN port and the red WAN port to the NBN box on my wall.

The snip shows a further connection from #1 Ethernet port to a PC, and I was wondering if I could use that to connect my computer to the T-Gateway using one of these USB 3.0 to Gigabit RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network Adapter 1000Mbps For PC ....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-0-t...AAAOSwI-BWF4iT and then use the T-Gateway to send the signal to my TV.

Probably another dumb question so apologies in advance.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

I should state at this point that I only want to watch whats on the computer on the TV, and not operate the computer from the TV.

My brother in law has a Panasonic TV of some description and it's gigantic. It's a bit old(er), not smart( I don't think so, anyhow) but it does connect to the network.
    We've connected it to the internet for him, and I remember seeing their PC connected as a media device.
    I can't remember the specifics exactly of how I connected it to the PC, other than I remember setting up file sharing on their PC(Win7 back then) .. which shared movies/photos/music.

I just assumed that the DNLA feature did all this, so they could see the photos on the PC via the media browser on the TV.

So you shouldn't need anything other than to make sure that the TV is configured onto the same network/workgroup as the PC at least .. and that you have simple file sharing on the PC turned on.

If that doesn't work .. it could be the T-box thingy set up between the TV's connection to the router.
    (In my brother in law's situation, the TV is connected directly to the router).

Is the Tbox thingy connected via an RJ45 port on the TV? Does it need to be?
    That is, if the Tbox has some HDMI type of output, can you not connect it to the TV that way.
    (Actually I have no idea what Tbox is .... never used one. I've only dealt with cable tv setups)

So if you can connect the Tbox to another input type on the TV, freeing up the eth port on the TV to connect directly to the router .. I reckon this may get 'yer going.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N