User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has vista got rid of most of the kinks by now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has vista got rid of most of the kinks by now?

deciding whether to switch to Mac, or upgrade my processor and memory etc, which requires upgrading to vista. I remember reading horror stories about it when it was first released, just wondering what the state of play with it is now? I know there is a new Windows OS in development, but have heard worrying things about that too.
    Cheers, Lani.
    Bodies: Nikon D700, D300 Primes: Nikon 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4G, 105mm VR 2.8, 300mm f4. Zooms: Nikon 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200VR II 2.8, Sigma 10-20mm Processing: Photoshop CS5 extended, LR 3.2.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vista is relatively stable but its fundamental issue of not supporting older hardware is still there. I needed a new Web cam and scanner.
    Some older software wont run.
    MS changed UI stuff without reason - so expect finding stuff harder. UAC (so called security) sux.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never had any real trouble with Vista - had it on this new machine for 2 years.
    I have a mate who "fiddles" all the time and he is now using Windows 7 (I think that is right). He told me it is the new operating system from Microsoft and is a vast improvement on Vista. His is a freebie trial edition - good until Agust if I remember correctly. I have not seen it in operation.
    Graham

Canon- EOS 7D with BG-E7 grip, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105L f/4; Speedlites 580EX II, 550EX, 430EX.
    Sigma- 18-50 f/2.8, 50-150 f/2.8, 120-300 f/2.8, 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS, 30 f/1.4, 150 f/2.8 macro, Sigma APO 1.4x and 2x Teleconverters;
    Kenko Extension tubes; Benro- M-257 tripod & B-1 ballhead; Wimberley- Sidekick.
    Home made "bag" on wheels; heaps and heaps of other minor stuff!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I am upgrading processor etc, then it shouldn't be a problem? I am mostly using CS3, LR etc.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverlander View Post
    I have never had any real trouble with Vista - had it on this new machine for 2 years.
    I have a mate who "fiddles" all the time and he is now using Windows 7 (I think that is right). He told me it is the new operating system from Microsoft and is a vast improvement on Vista. His is a freebie trial edition - good until Agust if I remember correctly. I have not seen it in operation.
    Thanks Graham,
    maybe I need to hold off for a bit then and wait for the newer OS.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 7 will be out late this year (80% confident). It is not a huge change from Vista (thankfully) - in fact it it almost a big service pack but they are charging for it.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Win 7 will be out late this year (80% confident). It is not a huge change from Vista (thankfully) - in fact it it almost a big service pack but they are charging for it.
    Hmmmpf that's just typical of microsoft isn't it??? charging for things they should have put in in the first place..lol
    I'm running vista on the laptop and haven't had any big problems with it. The biggest problem I'm having at the moment is trying to get my sons netbook to run wireless on the d-link router .. grrrrrr !!!!
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Vista, but i do agree with Kym re UAC, i disable it ...
    Julie

Canon 6D,Fuji X100
    l Canon 50mm f1.8 MK l l Canon 85mm f1.8 l Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro l Canon 24-70IS f4L l LR4/CS6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are running new hardware you won't have a problem with Vista.
    I am Beta testing Windows7 at present and it will be a lot better than Vista when it is released,it is a modified version of Vista.
    If you can wait I recommend getting Windows7.
    Brian
    Constructive Critique of my work very welcome.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter what hardware you are running, Vista will be slower, have a more painful user interface, and deliver zero tangible benefit. Even Microsoft have given up on trying to get Vista right. As other posters have already noted, Vista is now on Death Row. It's due to be junked at the end of the year, and replaced by Windows 7 which already is similiar in use to, and runs at much the same speed as, XP - which is to say decently.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    ...... Vista is now on Death Row. It's due to be junked at the end of the year, and replaced by Windows 7 which already is similiar in use to, and runs at much the same speed as, XP - which is to say decently.
    So is that faster than Vista?

I've read two opinions now that Win7 is much faster than Vista, using the same hardware.

I personally don't care as WinXP is more than I need, but I do need a new PC of some kind soon, mainly as a backup system as my kids get older and more PC aware.. I don't want to get a laptop with Vista if I can help it, but if Win7 runs faster then I'll feel less apprehensive about it.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 7 runs at about the same speed as XP, Arthur. I haven't done formal benchmark tests on it, for two reasons: (a) it's blindingly obvious to the naked eye, there is no need to measure it unless you want to compare Win7 with XP to figure out where the small differences are and in which direction (who cares?), and (b) it's still in beta, so the release version may be a little different. But you couldn't miss the speed difference between Vista and either XP or Win7 if you were using a sun dial as your stop watch.

My off-sider at work has been running Windows 7 at home for months now, it works fine. Our first test install of it was on an elderly Sempron 3100 with only 1GB RAM and a nothing-special video card (Geforce 5200? something like that - stock standard 3-year-old card). It was responsive and perfectly usable. Vista, on the same sort of machinery, is a complete dog.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    So is that faster than Vista?
    Well, yes. But so is molasses.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 7 is closer to what Vista should have been. Then they charge you for it ? As I said above - it is really a big service pack (SP).
    I wonder if we can get the ACCC make Microsoft give it for free?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don' think charging for new versions of software is a Microsoft exclusive domain. When CS3 came out, and I bought it, my first thoughts were, it was just as 'service pack' for cs2.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so Rick, although it's sensible to note that once any product reaches maturity, it's unlikely that there will be massive changes from one version to the next. Indeed, it becomes quite difficult to make any changes of great consequence to a mature product. And only a complete blithering idiot would make major changes just for the sake of changing things.

(Well, OK, that's exactly what Microsoft did when they went from XP (which is essentially Windows 2000 Service Pack 7) to Vista. But in this case, the result went well beyond even what you would normally expect from such a stupid strategy. Most people regard Vista as the worst Windows version of all time, with ME in second place along the Hall of Shame. Actually, I don't agree with that. I rate Windows 3.0 as the worst ever, closely followed by Vista, with ME in third place. But very few people these days remember Win 3.0 - it was a long time ago, and as usually happens with the particularly bad Windows versions, it was followed by a vastly better version (3.1) which had a much longer life. Similarly, ME was replaced by the excellent Windows 2000. Dare we assume that Win7 will be similar?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    Win 7 is closer to what Vista should have been. Then they charge you for it ? As I said above - it is really a big service pack (SP).
    I wonder if we can get the ACCC make Microsoft give it for free?
    Just imagine if that happens everyone will want the latest commodore or falcon for free (it's just an update of the previous model) LOL
    I know where you are coming from here and i sort of agree with you as this release is too close to the Vista release.
    I have been using Vista as my primary system since the days it was called Longhorn and have found it to be the most stable system i have had, people tend to forget the service pack and other issues that XP had.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well now I am confused, I need a faster processor and more ram, but have been told XP can only really utitlise 2 gig of ram...which led me to believe I would need vista to get the benefit of the extra memory. Is that not the case?
    Also, how does Windows OS compare with Mac in real terms...there is lot of sale hype out there.

Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Well now I am confused, I need a faster processor and more ram, but have been told XP can only really utilise 2 gig of ram...which led me to believe I would need vista to get the benefit of the extra memory. Is that not the case?
    Also, how does Windows OS compare with Mac in real terms...there is lot of sale hype out there.
    XP can use about 3.5 of 4GB (about 0.5 for IO mapping - esp. Graphics). So adding more memory to XP up to 4Gb is worthwhile. Even though any one program can only use 2GB the remainder is then for the operating system etc. Also you are always running more than one program.

The biggest beneficiary of the extra memory are high memory use programs like Lightroom, Photoshop etc.

This is the same for the 32 bit versions of Vista and Win 7.
    The ONLY time you get real benefit of memory >4GB is a 64 bit operating system and 64 bit programs (of which there are few).

BTW: Win 7 will be V6.5 internally - because Microslug don't want to break things by bumping the major version number Similar to Win 2000 (V5) and XP (V5.1).

Windoze V MacOS - it's a religious thing. There are trade offs.
    Generally more software is available for Windoze esp. games.
    MacOS is a variation of Unix and is more robust in design and execution. MacOS (Unix/Linux) is by design more secure.
    MacOS is considered easier to use - but that takes a while if you brain has been programmed by using Windoze way of doing things.
    Windoze is generally lower cost as you can use any hardware.
    You need to have security add-ons to Windoze (Anti-Virus/Spyware etc).
    Using a Mac (or Linux) is way cooler than using Windoze

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lani, RAM utilisation has got nothing to do with XP vs Vista vs Windows 7. None of the 32-bit Windows versions can use more than 3GB (note: 3GB, not 2GB) of RAM, and that applies to all of them equally. To use morethan 3GB you need a 64-bit Windows: XP-64, Vista-64, or 64-bit Windows 7. 64-bit Windows is not yet mature. XP 64 is a nightmare, Vista 64 little better (and in any case it's Vista), it's probably reasonable to expect that 64-bit Windows will come of age with Windows 7, though of course that remains to be seen. In the meantime, 32-bit Windows is the only practical option for most people. And that means that you are effectively limited to 3GB.

Vista has zero, repeat zero ability to benefit from extra RAM. In fact, Vista gets less benefit from RAM than XP because Vista wastes massive amounts of RAM - Vista with 2.0GB runs at about the same speed as XP or Win 2000 with 0.5GB.

As for your Windows vs Mac question, that's a whole different can of worms, however the executive summary is that the Mac OS is substantially more advanced than any version of Windows, but you pay for that with reduced software choice, and vastly higher prices for under-performing proprietary hardware that sacrifices functionality to external styling.

Edit: Kym beat me to it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast