Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
NOT happy Jan !

Have you actually spoken to an accountant on this issue Kiwi ? Because I think you'll find that any income is declarable, and they dont give a rats if you think its a hobby, if you're charging then they want their cut.

And to be utterly honest its this type of attitude that is killing off the profession of photography, and a dam silly one at that ! Sure you may be lucky or talented enough to have a full time job that allows you to earn enough to then also shoot and gain work normally taken by professionals that you then can then choose to shoot and seriously undercut those depending on that as a living. And let me second guess you here, but before you say that you are just a hobbyist, you actively market towards covering sporting events to an "international level" ? Not really just a hobby ! So perhaps even if you think you're right here, perhaps you should take a little more consideration of those photographers who do have to consider all costs before working out there charges as opposed to simply saying that you dont care about these things?
I agree that Kiwi is wrong about being able to earn $20,000 without paying tax, but I don't agree that "this type of attitude that is killing off the profession of photography". Do you really expect everyone to stop and ask if someone is making money from what they do for free? And then to refrain from doing it just because someone is making money from it? Even the professions like law and medicine have had to change to suit modern demands, so why think that photography, which unlike law or medicine has no legal protection, should be any different? You can't turn the clock back to the 1950's, and why would you want to?