User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Quality of info on the internet is steadily getting worse!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Quality of info on the internet is steadily getting worse!" Oh no it isn't!
    The article in question is just an opinion piece and does not purport to be a breakdown of the advantages of one system over another nor of their respective technical capabilities.
    Perhaps it is the quality of internet users comprehension that that is steadily getting worse.
    For those who have not read the article, don't bother, it is rubbish.

Mike

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmcs View Post
    The article in question is just an opinion piece and does not purport to be a breakdown of the advantages of one system over another nor of their respective technical capabilities.
    Opinion based articles aren't a bad thing.
    We all have opinions(and tastes, and preferences), so to read/hear/watch someones opinions of a thing is fine by me.

But it's the inclusion of inaccurate info into the mix, where it then blurs the line between being opinion based item or attempting to be a technical, more analytical piece that irritates me.

..... Perhaps it is the quality of internet users comprehension that that is steadily getting worse. ..... Mike
    In my case, probably right! .. but 'how low can one go' when they've already reached the lowest base to begin with.

As is so often the case, the main issue now with info on the internets is that there seems to be a priority on getting the info out ASAP, without due processes for accuracy of the data.
    As already said, self publishing is the main culprit, and this appears to then have follow on issues of who's proof reading the article(s)?

Been watching and reading lots more in recent times on the interwebs due to current life situation, but at the least the good web based providers of info will always come back and redress inaccurate info.

A quick example of a recent one I can think of, is that I watch a YouTube channel called PBS Space Time(info on spacey/sciencey stuff).
    The guy that presents it(Matt, I think) had an item on space travel, and the subject of Alcubierre Drive came up .. where it warps space to move the craft along .. pretty much instantly .. and whatnot.
    The data he presented on how it works was all good, but he said that chap who thought up the idea, Miguel Alcubierre was Spanish. Turns out later he is Mexican.
    An episode or two later Matt made a point to correct his inaccurate info on the nationality of Miguel.
    Made no difference to the episode on space travel systems, but at a minimum efforts were made to correct the wrong info .. even tho I don't think it was absolutely needed!

Good to know that some folks take the time to dot their i's and cross their t's

I recently happened on a Matt Granger u-tube he did on the Sony A7rMk4, and he said it perfectly, there was a mad scramble for some reviewers to get info out on the new camera in less than a minute at the event.
    That is with a minutes play with the new camera they're already stopping to 'review' the new camera!
    He made the point that his review is late due to him wanting to have more time and data to be more accurate in his review .. not another gear in the Sony marketing machine.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    ... PBS Space Time(info on spacey/sciencey stuff).
    The guy that presents it(Matt, I think) had an item on space travel, and the subject of Alcubierre Drive came up .. ....
    Thanks (I think) for the heads up on that, I just watched it and it confirms that my comprehension is receding at warp speed.

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... confirms that my comprehension is receding at warp speed.
    Into an alcubierre drive worm hole maybe?

I'm way ahead of 'ya then! ... or is that way behind 'ya? .. confusing things those warped drives