Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying cameras/lenses on line?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying cameras/lenses on line?

I am about to buy my 60D on line but I'm nervous about spending so much money and having to wait for my gear

It took me ages to save it and I would hate for something to go wrong.
    What if it turns up broken?
    Are there any hidden costs?
    Are the cameras exactly the same if they come from OS?

How do you know if the company is reputable or not?
    Can I name the conpany I'm buying from on AP and get others opinions?

I'm so nervous and very, very excited! Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Teressa

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Blue View Post
    I am about to buy my 60D on line but I'm nervous about spending so much money and having to wait for my gear
    In my experience of buying online for a number of years, it's safe and simple.

What if it turns up broken?
    I haven't experienced that, but check with your supplier on this. It may be shipped with insurance cover.

Are there any hidden costs?
    Assuming the supplier is Australian-based, the price of the goods (and delivery, if the supplier charges for that) is all you pay.

If you're purchasing from an overseas-based supplier, you would be subject to GST if the value of the goods exceeds $1,000. You'd also be affected by currency exchange rates, conversion fees and shipment fees.

Are the cameras exactly the same if they come from OS?
    Generally, yes. With Canon, the cameras all come from the one factory, but Canon ships goods to different parts of the world for different markets.

The Canon EOS XXXD series of DSLRs has the name "Rebel" in the US market, and "Kiss" in the Japanese market. The camera is otherwise the same, but would come with an AC cable with a plug type which matches the type used in that country.

The other key difference is that you do not receive an Australian warranty from the manufacturer if the item is purchased outside that manufacturer's official supply chain; ie, grey market or parallel import.

How do you know if the company is reputable or not?
    Google around; ask people here, and read the suppliers' sites.

Can I name the conpany I'm buying from on AP and get others opinions?
    Assuming you meet AP's criteria in terms of membership tenure and number of posts, sure. You'd need to check the site rules, as you have 30 posts and may not quite qualify yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if it turns up broken? - highly unlikely if from a reputable company
    Are there any hidden costs? - shouldn't be if all postage etc was covered and noted in total price
    Are the cameras exactly the same if they come from OS? - I would expect so

How do you know if the company is reputable or not? - google for feedback
    Can I name the conpany I'm buying from on AP and get others opinions? - don't know but this would help in answering some of the other question

generally if you got it from someone pretty reputable you won't have any issues in freight etc. the only thing that may be an issue is warranty, and it's only an issue in the fact that it can be a hassle with returning it and if they are dodgy then no claims under Aust consumer laws.

all in all I wouldn't stress unless it's a really back yard dodgy brothers. enjoy!
    "I really need to spend more time experimenting with photography."
    Canon EOS 1000D with lens kit | EFS 18-55mm | EF 75-300mm |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't personally buy a new body from overseas, I have and would lenses though

The warranty is my issue more than anything else

Local grey importers are better.
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    I wouldn't personally buy a new body from overseas, I have and would lenses though

The warranty is my issue more than anything else
    All of my DSLRs have been Australian stock.

Potential buyers of parallel imports should be aware that the camera is genuine (assuming it's not supplied by Dodgy Bros., Inc.) and is the same as the batch destined for Australia, with the exceptions being the AC power plug and the lack of Australian warranty from the manufacturer.

Some suppliers may offer Mack or other warranties.

It's also worth noting that an Australian warranty is only valid for 12 months from the date of purchase, so if the camera experiences problems on the 366th day (or 367th, if there's a leap year), the manufacturer can charge for servicing.

That being said, whether to spend hundreds of dollars more for an Australian warranty is a matter of risk management. Like insurance, ultimately, it may be money wasted, but when one knows how much it costs to replace components in DSLRs, the warranty, should you need it, will be worth its weight in gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kiwi. I ordered my body from an online company that has a shop front as well so I could go and physically pick it up, it was not a grey import so came with full Aussie warranty. I have however, bought grey market lenses from Hong Kong with no problems. Having said that though, the one lens that I bought here with Aussie warranty had to be sent back to Canon for fixing and recalibration all under warranty. I have never had to test the warranty with the grey market ones I have bought thank goodness! I guess it all depends on how much research you do on the company and how comfortable you feel.
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

Can I ask then, what Australian suppliers would you recommend. Especially those in Sydney with a shop front?

Thanks again
    Teressa

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I ask then, what Australian suppliers would you recommend. Especially those in Sydney with a shop front?
    Discount Digital Photographics, which has a shopfront in North Sydney, would be, and is, my recommendation.

I've purchased most of my big-ticket items from DDP, and the prices are good. I cannot comment as to service, as I've not needed it, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's service is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yip, ddp are the go, bought lots from them in the past

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buying online doesn't mean buying from OverSeas. There are plenty of on-line shops that will sell them to you that are based in Aus.

Have a look at some of the Ausphotography Site Advertisers:

Last edited by ricktas; 20-07-2011 at 7:40am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a lens from an Australian online company - good product, cheap and very quick delivery. However I would do my homework about prices before jumping in. Online is not necessarily cheaper. I found that camera bags are no cheaper than local shopfronts and after delivery the online deal is often more expensive. Secret - know what you want and it will eventually come on a "special".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I purchased a Nikon lens via Ebay and had no problem.It was very well packed too! But you must check the sellers feedback and email them with any concerns before buying.
    Graeme

Nikon D90,Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Nikon 18-105 f3.5-5.6VR, Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6Di VC,Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX, Benro A2692TB1S tripod

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alf6 View Post
    However I would do my homework about prices before jumping in. Online is not necessarily cheaper.
    Are you just buying the 60D body, or are you getting a lens with it?
    I was shopping around for a 60D + 15-85 IS USM in June.
    At the time DDP (Grey Seller with a shopfront in Sydney) were selling this kit for $1978, I emailed all my local stores and got Australian stock with Canon Australia warranty for $2050.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you have to weigh up the cost against inconvenience. I recently purchased a Canon 60D body from a well known New York store for $895AU to my door.
    If something goes wrong with it within the 12 month warranty period, it's my responsibility to return it to them.
    So the saving is around $300 compared to local "Grey" stock with the risk of having to return it to USA if there are problems within the warranty period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been purchasing from overseas for a number of years now and have been very happy with what I have received. The secret is to ask around and find reputable companies and stick with them. I deliberately shy away from China from past negative experience I have found a couple of Hong Kong dealers and stuck with them. as for breakage the way they pack your items you would need a truck to run over them for them to break. The reputable companies usually offer you shipping insurance if you want it.

Sanctuary Point - 2 hours south of Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also in the market to upgrade to a 60D. I called into my local Harvey Norman store and told them I could get a 60D body only for $1200 from an online store with a canon Aust warranty. They agreed to $1199. I suggest you get your best price and go and ask HN.
    Brian

My two pet hates are male chauvanists and women who won't do as they are told

Canon 60D - Canon 17-40mm f4 L USM - Canon 70 - 200mm F4 L IS USM - CANON 24-105MM f4 IS USM - Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash - Lightroom 4.4 - Photo Elements 11 ****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Briancd View Post
    I am also in the market to upgrade to a 60D. I called into my local Harvey Norman store and told them I could get a 60D body only for $1200 from an online store with a canon Aust warranty. They agreed to $1199. I suggest you get your best price and go and ask HN.
    The lowest I found the 60D body for online was $807 with a 24 month warrantee. I've used the website many times and cannot praise them enough for price, packaging and speedy delivery.

It's a no-brainer from my budget point of view; ~$1300 in a local store, or ~$800 online. Fed up of over-inflated high street prices! I can do a lot with that $500 saving!
    Last edited by 98kellrs; 20-08-2011 at 10:57am.
    Ryan

D800 | Nikkor 24-70mm ƒ/2.8 | Cullmann Tripod |Manfrotto 680B Monopod | Lowepro Flipside 400 AW | 2x Yungnuo 560 flash & wireless trigger| FleaBay Lightstand, umbrella and collapsible softbox
    My Flickr site
    RSK Photography - Perth based Motorsport Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we could get the "US prices, but Warranty Valid in Australia" type deals online - I wonder how long the shopfronts which sell at "Australian prices" would last....?

It would seem that the shopfronts here, while they do have to add a markup to stay in business, are rather at the mercy of the Makers - or the Importers "Officially Authorised" by the Makers - on pricing.

I'm in a low-fixed-income situation where a valid Warranty on expensive items is highly desirable to me.

It can be that paying the "Australian price" to a retail shopfront here is the "wiser" if rather more costly thing to do. It can have the advantage that once you are 'known and on their database' at the shop, the opportunities to speak to "real-live-humans" for help and advice - or just phone to ask a question - can be quite useful.

I'm finding that with Digital Camera Warehouse here in Sydney. Over several years I've bought cameras, bags, filters, tripods, so on, there. With the last tripod I bought there - asked about Velbon - and bought a Slik - because they took the time and trouble to set up 3 tripods to give me a proper look at them...

But they're stuck with the Makers' or Authorised Importers for products - Pentax and Sigma, for example, have CRK as sole distributor in Australia. At present the Pentax DSLR camera prices are high - but not now the "US+50%" they used to be. That can be offset a bit, too - because for not a lot of outlay, you can get warranty extensions at incremental prices - up to 4 years for $99.00. That's a bit more "peace of mind" than available for overseas online, or grey-market, sellers.

On the other hand, the lenses are still rather the other way. For Pentax, we don't get the US/EU markets Pentax DAL 55-300mm kit lens, here. We can buy, retail, the DA ED version (metal mount, quick-change, and hood, over the DAL version) - for AUD$670.00. That lens is just over or under $400.00 in the US - with standard 3-year Warranty. (Here, with 3 years Warranty, it'd be $670.00 + $85.00 = $755.00)

So one could buy in the US without a Warranty valid here, for $400.00 + delivery. And pay any adjustments/repairs from the $355.00 difference, when needed. Or buy the same DA ED version "as new" from a reliable-record seller on a brand-name related forum - for about $300.00 + postage. And have another "saved" $100.00 for servicing as needed. That particular item apparently needs almost none, anyway.

So - while it'd be nice to support the local shopfront with all purchases - where the "regional" prices are very far apart, it becomes difficult to justify that...

Regards, Dave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered a Canon 600D for my son from DWI,I've had a Canon 50D and 10-22 EF-S lens from them in the past-great price,great service (they have an office in Aus),items are insured,and arrive to country QLD in less than 4 working days,Australian sellers are hopless-poor service,over priced,take forever to get here,and usually carton is damaged.

No,its online for me from now on,I was a bit sceptical at first,but after been given the 'run-around' by Australian sellers.I would reccomend DWI in Hong Kong.
    Canon 50D and 450D - Canon 10-22 F3.5-5.6, 17-55 F2.8 L, 70-200 F2.8 L, 400 prime F5.6 L, 60mm F2.8 macro, EX 430 Flash,and all sorts of other bits and pieces

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 For DWI, absolutely brilliant service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast