User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To buy an expensive lens from gray or australian retailer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To buy an expensive lens from gray or australian retailer?

Hi guys,

Just want to know where you buy your expensive lenses from, i know the pros and cons dof them, ive bought a lot of things from gray market but mothing over $1000.

Im a canon user and planning to buy an L lens ehen i get my tax return, but still debating either to buy from gray.. Am just a bit worried because its so expensive that if somethings wrong with it, it might be hard to have it replaced or something?

What are your thoughts about this? Have you bought say $1500 or more from gray or just dealt with a few more hundred dollars and went with australian retailers?

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schy View Post
    Im a canon user and planning to buy an L lens ehen i get my tax return, but still debating either to buy from gray.. Am just a bit worried because its so expensive that if somethings wrong with it, it might be hard to have it replaced or something?
    Well, factor the return postage / courier cost should the need arise back to Hong Kong against probably zero costs from an Aus. retailer and see what the savings may be from buying a grey import.
    If you really are so worried about the warranty on the product, maybe another brand that doesn't have so may reliability problems may attract you more.

In reality, with the Aus. peso at a strong point at the moment, firm price combating policies in place by local distributors and already some well known grey importers charging more than local retailers, one really has to ask the question as to why you would bother importing -----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D 100-400 24-105 all from DWI and nothing but excellent dealings on all occasions
    Wayne

Canon 7D and stuff
    Olympus OMD - EM10

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34371137@N03/

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many things to consider.
    I bought my camera from B&H (site sponsor) after my local retailer refused to offer competitive price and my nearest large town (Dubbo) had competition, but also refused to offer any customer service or competitive price. So on the www I get some Aust. stuff better priced, but if something went wrong I had to pay for postage back to them.
    B&H had a special on the camera I wanted, if something went wrong, they paid for postage!!! I think this is their standard. So read any terms and conditions.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    In reality, with the Aus. peso at a strong point at the moment, firm price combating policies in place by local distributors and already some well known grey importers charging more than local retailers, one really has to ask the question as to why you would bother importing -----
    Andrew, can you show me an example of a known or reputable grey seller asking more than a local one for L-glass? I would be very keen to see their pricing and how much cheaper it is.

I have over $20k real monies invested in Nikkor glass, and every piece of it is grey. I have had no issues whatsoever with any of it, and saved thousands, not peanuts.

Many like Nikon offer international warranties on glass, so check if Canon do the same, and if so ignore the return postage etc scenarios and scaremongering some local resellers would have you believe. Postage to HK from here is quite cheap for fully insured items, so the many $$ you can at times save will offset any return postage if need be by a factor of maybe 10+
    Last edited by Wayne; 15-07-2012 at 10:15pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I comes down to choice. What does each party offer? Is grey any better/worse than local?
    What's the warranty period?

And so on and so 4th...

Have bone both...

Much of a muchness

Hope you get a good deal out of it.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

Many like Nikon offer international warranties on glass, so check if Canon do the same, .......
    Canon don't do the same any more.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Yup this is what i know as well..

Guess ill be going gray because the price difference is just way too much! :O

Mark L, what town are you from? Big town for me is tamworth/dubbo as well! Am from Narrabri!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Yup this is what i know as well..

Guess ill be going gray because the price difference is just way too much! :O

Mark L, what town are you from? Big town for me is tamworth/dubbo as well! Am from Narrabri!

Edit- sorry scratch that saw where your from now.. Hehe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Schy...

I've also bought 5 lenses from DWI and haven't had any issues with the lenses. There's no such thing as a counterfeit Canon or any other brand lens so they can't be copies with a Canon badge. It's a bit hard to knock up a lens out the back of a Chinese shop from scratch.

The only worry I had before my first expensive purchase was whether the lenses from overseas importers are brand new or if they could have been a refurbished product. They all appeared new and unopened but I'm sure some of the sellers somewhere in the world would be pulling some sort of scam, so if you buy "offshore/grey", buy from importers/retailers recommended by fellow photographers. I now see other AU retailers offering grey sales alongside their au sourced products so they are trying to keep in business in the retail game.

As said by others below, Canon Australian will no longer honour any International 12month warranty on "L" series lenses. I rang them to check before I bought my lenses. L series lenses are of the best quality so the possibility of getting a faulty one is slim but not impossible. I was sent the wrong lens (non IS) once but DWI refunded me the postage costs back to their Australian warranty/return agent so it only cost me some waiting time. You do not have to send their returns back overseas.

I've also bought from Camera Action in Melbourne, (with Canon Australian warranty) saved $80 on my Canon G12 over local shop who obviously doesn't need the business. I'm sure the sponsors on this site also offer great deals and should be considered too.

Over 2 years ago, I saved over $1000.00 on my 7D and 15-85mm lens compo. That's not chickenfeed.
    One last point, on cameras, the 5DmkIII, info has been released by Canon which series of serial numbers have the light leak issue and if you buy overseas, you probably won't be able to check the sn before you buy.

Hope this helps...
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that flashc!

Just wondering, if you order the 70-200 f2.8 is ii from dwi, will it be likely or unlikely charged with GST? Thats over $2000 piece of glass..!

Im leaning towards gray cause they are really much cheaper its just the GST that's making me worry a bit..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

Many like Nikon offer international warranties on glass, so check if Canon do the same,
    Canon don't, they changed their policy about a year ago. They will not offer an international warranty on 'grey' purchased lenses.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Canon don't, they changed their policy about a year ago. They will not offer an international warranty on 'grey' purchased lenses.
    Hmm, I wonder what happens if you legitimately buy an 'L' lens overseas (whilst on holiday or living abroad etc) and have an issue when you are back in Aus.

Surely they couldn't reject you?

Cheers,
    Jason.
    7D, 350D and some glass

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly what they would do Jason.

All Canon product now carries a Country of Origin warranty
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koputai View Post
    Hmm, I wonder what happens if you legitimately buy an 'L' lens overseas (whilst on holiday or living abroad etc) and have an issue when you are back in Aus.

Surely they couldn't reject you?

Cheers,
    Jason.
    That's the choice you have to make. If you buy while in Au from an Au grey reseller, they do offer a 12 month warranty. Other places repair camera gear not just the makers. You only get a 12 month warranty (sometimes 24) wherever you buy in Australia. Save $500 on the purchase and keep it to finance your next lens.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that flashc!

Just wondering, if you order the 70-200 f2.8 is ii from dwi, will it be likely or unlikely charged with GST? Thats over $2000 piece of glass..!

Im leaning towards gray cause they are really much cheaper its just the GST that's making me worry a bit..
    Anything imported over $1000 AU should have GST added. This should be considered in your calculations. I've heard this doesn't always happen, though it would only be a bonus if it doesn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that flashc!

PM me your email address for an explanation on how it works.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll buy cheaper items overseas but lenses and bodies I buy local. These are two areas that you need a local warranty. Good example is the D800 body and if you're not sure if it's a lens or body problem, at least you can drop both off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only a couple of items to date from two seperate grey sellers and no problems so far. Always looking

Roy

5D MkIII gripped; EF 17-40 f/4L; EF 24-105 f/4L; EF 50 f/1.8; EF 135 f/2L; 580EXII; Manfrotto 055XPROB & 308RC ballhead; Computrekker Plus AW
    My Photobucket / My flickr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me x 2

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    7D 100-400 24-105 all from DWI and nothing but excellent dealings on all occasions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EGlobal was touting no GST on any purchase a little while ago. Something about having an agreement with their couriers.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast