User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: What are your thoughts on the (old) Canon 35mm F2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your thoughts on the (old) Canon 35mm F2

I was thinking about getting a Canon 35mm F2, the old version without the IS. You can pick up second hand copies relatively cheaply and and wanted it for some low light event shoots.

My first choice would have been the Sigma 35 1.4 but that is a lot more expensive so I was thinking about this model as a short term substitute.

Does anyone have this lens and can they give me their thoughts...?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberner View Post
    I was thinking about getting a Canon 35mm F2 . . . for some low light event shoots.

My first choice would have been the Sigma 35 1.4 . . .

Does anyone have this lens and can they give me their thoughts...?
    We have had one for a while.

It represents good value for money and for low light events is good. Ours is mostly used on my co-photographer’s APS-C Format as a fast Standard Lens, but I have used ours on my 5D Series cameras for events and some indoor sports.

I have a colleague who uses his on APS-H Format, mainly for photographing Bands and MMA Fights. The AF is fast enough and the front element is recessed enough, such that lens really does not require an hood for most shooting scenarios.

I think that it would make a good partner for your 50/1.8MkII if you require a fast lens which is a little wider than 50mm and that combination of two Primes is quite useful if one is shooting with two cameras / two primes. You can mount the 50 on your APS-C and the 35 on your 5D: I have used two Prime Lenses like that, quite often.

Added features are the (light) weight and (small) physical size which I have used to advantage on my 5D Series (minus battery grip) for photographing Street, Reportage and also indoors when travelling with a single camera / light weight kit. For example it is good for interiors such as Galleries and Churches and the like when on holidays.

I have not used the Sigma Lens 35mm Prime, but I do use the EF 35 F/1.4L USM and there is not a realistic comparison between it and the EF 35 F/2, but he contrasts are very worthwhile considering. Those contrasts are: weight, size, price and the value for the money spent and the performance for the money spent.

I am not one much for lab tests – and a few years ago another colleague asked the same question and I made these samples using an EOS 5D. Each is the JPEG SOOC and each should be self-explanatory for its own purpose. Once you open each image in its own page, you can hover your mouse over the image and then click to view the image larger. These images might e of assistance to your choice. The link is here: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=990381

WW