Results 3,501 to 3,520 of 3586

Thread: The "Whoo! I just got new gear!" thread

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New (to me) gear day, always exciting

Picked up a Canon EOS 1000FN (35mm film) SLR with a 75-300 lens.

Also grabbed some Kodak UltraMax 400 35mm film yesterday, and looking forward to giving it a shot

Any other film people around the site?
    -Andy

All CC is greatly appreciated, the only way to learn is if we share our ideas. I can't be offended, so feel free to share your ideas for improvement.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    New (to me) gear day, always exciting

Picked up a Canon EOS 1000FN (35mm film) SLR with a 75-300 lens.

Also grabbed some Kodak UltraMax 400 35mm film yesterday, and looking forward to giving it a shot

Any other film people around the site?
    I have about 8 Canon 'A' series bodies and a heap of FD lens that I am going to test and move on.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEW-to-ME

'Whoo!' Andy (AKA @Bensch) sent me a Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 II prime which didn't work on his 35mm. His loss, my win

Haven't had a lot of time for a serious play, but a few test images look marvellous.

He suggested my Grandson would like it. What he doesn't know won't hurt him

A very big THANK YOU, Andy. Truly appreciated

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    'Whoo!' Andy (AKA @Bensch) sent me a Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 II prime which didn't work on his 35mm. His loss, my win

Haven't had a lot of time for a serious play, but a few test images look marvellous.

More than welcome Gazza

Looking forward to seeing some test shots when time permits, the II is supposed to be a huge upgrade from the I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a couple of Olympus primes for $250 - 25mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8. I really didn’t need them because i have the 12-40 but i can’t go past a bargain. They weigh nothing and are pocketable - excellent on my em5ii when I don’t want to carry the 12-40. I love ‘em.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    My shots are always overexposed because I take too long to insert them in the card reader. My most recent lens wasn't shown in that photo so here it is...

Attachment 142008

Zoom-Nikkor 28-45mm f/4.5, the world's first wide angle zoom. I had one in 1977 and it was nicked. This one cost a fraction of the one I purchased in 1977. The lens is very usable on a dSLR and while relatively heavy, still quite compact. It's funny that when I hand one of the old school Nikon manual focus lenses to someone, they marvel at how wonderful the zoom and focus rings feel. Beautifully dampened and smooth as butter.
    I always wanted one of those for my FE 2 but could never afford one. I think I ended up with a sigma short zoom.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the new lens for my right eye on Tuesday. A perfect match for the other one. YeeHaaaa

Thank you Santa

Great to finally have excellent vision again and see what's in the viewfinder, and what I'm actually focusing on.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post

Always been interested in those lenses - be keen to see what you think.

I only really visit this thread with input every decade or so, but I did actually acquire a new (second hand) lens on Tuesday. The lens, as per Tony's helpful advice, is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens.

I took the kids and pups down to the local oval this afternoon and gave it a good workout. Haven't uploaded anything onto the PC yet, and photos always look okay on the back of the camera, so I won't get too ahead of myself, but it seemed pretty cool.

Full disclosure, it was weird and tricky to get immediately used to it. In my entire photographic life, I've only ever had the 18-200/250mm lenses, my 10-20mm wide angle, and very recently, the 100mm Macro lens, which I have so far only used exclusively for macro work. So I've never had a lens that "starts" at 55mm, and it was tricky to get used to. Missed a few frames because I am so used to being closer to subjects, and it really took a while to get used to the - hope I got the term right - focus distance? The bit where I had to be about 3 and 1/2 foot, or 1m away from my subject. This was weird for me, as I love to be right on top of my subject a lot of the times when I shoot. So this was fresh.

Anyway, it will definitely take a while to get used to this, but it seems like a cool lens. On the back of the camera, the pics looked great and it seems like a nice fast lens.

Now I just need someone to recommend me a very cost effective but awesome lens in the (approx) 18-55mm range. I will accept recommendations immediately.

I am older than I look.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensch View Post
    The Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 that I purchased last month on eBay finally arrived today.
    How is it working out? I sold mine recently with an OM-D E-M5. I think it was a most under-rated lens. I found it quite sharp and it was great for close ups with it's very good macro function.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Olympus Pen F with Metabones Speed Booster and Laowa 12mm f/2.8 or Voigtlander 10.5mm f/0.95 or Nikon D800 with the Laowa 12mm f/2.8. The need to keep in touch with the past is a Nikon Photomic FTn or Nikon F2A and a Nikkor 25-50mm f/4 AI

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb666 View Post
    How is it working out? I sold mine recently with an OM-D E-M5. I think it was a most under-rated lens. I found it quite sharp and it was great for close ups with it's very good macro function.
    It is going quite well, I haven't had a great deal of time to take photos with it recently, but the ones that I have are nice and sharp

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have new Gear.....

Today I bought myself a brand new Nikon D7500

And currently waiting on our fantastic postal service (only just a few days late...) to deliver my new (secondhand) Tamron SP AF 90mm macro

Pics coming soon
    Nikon D7500 Tamron SP AF 90mm 10-20mm Sigma 18-55 VR 55-200 VR 50mm lens Manfrotto tripod 10 Stop ND filter ND Grad filters

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Father Christmas was quite good to me this year

• Canon EOS 700D
    • Canon EOS 33
    • 5 rolls Portra 400
    • 5 rolls Ilford FP4 Plus (B&W)
    • 5 rolls Kentmere Pan 100 (B&W)
    • Paterson universal developing tank and other darkroom supplies

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Ty must have made the nice list but gee Andy I think you made the naughty list for Santa to bring a Nikon and Olympus shooter Canon gear
    Glenda

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenda View Post
    Well Ty must have made the nice list but gee Andy I think you made the naughty list for Santa to bring a Nikon and Olympus shooter Canon gear
    Yep, Father Christmas certainly has a warped sense of humour

As for the naughty list, well, I must definitely have been on it, but it was worth it

Ausphotography Regular Nick Cliff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santa has been kind delivering an old Fujinon 55mm f/2.2 lens with very interesting bokeh not sharps (more a specialty bokeh lens) and a Fujinon 135mm f/3.5 lens with amazing sharps and oof areas to have some fun with and can post some photos later,

cheers Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bensch looking at some of my old film photos am actually surprised how good film is if you get the exposures right and am very tempted to try film again.
    Could use the digital cameras as exposure meters

Cheers Nick
    Last edited by Nick Cliff; 26-12-2019 at 4:03pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are going to have lots of interesting times there Andy

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Bensch looking at some of my old film photos am actually surprised how good film is if you get the exposures right and am very tempted to try film again.
    Could use the digital cameras as exposure meters

Cheers Nick
    For sure, the quality of some of the film photos I've seen are just amazing, if it wasn't marked as a film photo, I'd never have known.

Give it a try, it's well worth doing

I've only put a few rolls of film through since starting shooting film again, but it is a great experience, makes one be so much more intentional and focused when shooting, as you never quite know what you're going to get compared to the instant results that digital gives.

Thankfully, my SLRs (2 x Canon EOS 1000FN and the new (to me) EOS 33) are all modern style SLRs, in that they have evaluative/spot metering and semi-auto modes like Aperture Priority, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    Sounds like you are going to have lots of interesting times there Andy
    Thanks Mary Anne, it is certainly going to be interesting....

Wasn't too bad until I found a monobath developer for B&W film, just one chemical required... pretty close to idiot-proof apparently (I shall see if it truly is, if I can do it, it must be....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy interesting to know that B&W film developing technology has evolved to monobath technology if it can be used for most B&W films that should certainly make life a lot simpler.
    Bought a more modern and now very affordable 1990's Nikon F90x film camera for $30 (new price $850- $1000) that uses standard AA batteries and the modern Nikon lenses that is light years ahead of the older Spotmatic 2 technology M42 mount for $90 purchased with two lenses 5 years ago.
    The Spotmatic 2 camera was purchased off a professional photographer in Brisbane and we discussed photo sharpness that camera companies understandably like to promote and that is fine.
    This Professional photographer brought out a B&W photo taken in France as an example of how to use the Spotmatic in low light.
    The photo had an ethereal feel taken from a low viewpoint from behind a young girl intently watching a blacksmith making a horseshoe on an anvil above her with shafts of light combined with smoke rising from the coals, a B&W film composition masterclass, Spotmatic camera sold

Cheers Nick

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cliff View Post
    Andy interesting to know that B&W film developing technology has evolved to monobath technology if it can be used for most B&W films that should certainly make life a lot simpler.
    Bought a more modern and now very affordable 1990's Nikon F90x film camera for $30 (new price $850- $1000) that uses standard AA batteries and the modern Nikon lenses that is light years ahead of the older Spotmatic 2 technology M42 mount for $90 purchased with two lenses 5 years ago.
    The Spotmatic 2 camera was purchased off a professional photographer in Brisbane and we discussed photo sharpness that camera companies understandably like to promote and that is fine.
    This Professional photographer brought out a B&W photo taken in France as an example of how to use the Spotmatic in low light.
    The photo had an ethereal feel taken from a low viewpoint from behind a young girl intently watching a blacksmith making a horseshoe on an anvil above her with shafts of light combined with smoke rising from the coals, a B&W film composition masterclass, Spotmatic camera sold

Cheers Nick
    Yes, it will be quite interesting to see how the monobath performs across a range of B&W film. I'm still waiting to receive it but will be sure to post results when I've attempted to use it.

Sounds like the F90x is one to keep an eye out for, I do have a couple of full frame lenses for my Nikon gear (the rest are for APS-C) so would be worth trying.

That does sound like a stunning photo for sure
    Last edited by Bensch; 27-12-2019 at 12:06pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad news for me regarding the Tamron 90mm macro.

It appears our postal service has "lost" the lens.. they have admitted fault. So now I wait for compensation.

Page 176 of 180 FirstFirst ... 76126166173174175176177178179 ... LastLast