Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nikon D500 DX camera

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lance, interesting looking beast.
    First things that spring to mind is ( having only looked at the images ) that there is no built in flash and no AE-L AF-L lock button.

The lack of a flash I can understand, the lock button, maybe I am the last person in the world to use it ----
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    ..... the lock button, maybe I am the last person in the world to use it ----
    They changed this method with the D4s!
    Apparently no one really wants it or uses it any more .. and I reckon you may the second last person in the world to use it!

FWIW: I think you now set your lock(AE or FV or whatever) via a function button. D5 has three on it's front side.

Still would'a been nice to have that second extra button up there, where the AE-L button was, as a function button so as to assign it to something useful to each individual.

The other thing I noticed about the D500 are the 3 small holes on the back panel near the AF-On, joystick. Those small holes usually relate to a small microphone .. but their location would suggest not for the video ability .. and more likely for small voice annotations by the operator!
    (Been wanting that for about 10 years now in a camera!)
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have commented in either this or the D5 thread but the auto AF fine tune thing is what's getting me excited. Still need more info on the implementation though.
    So Lance, have you pre-ordered the D500 yet?
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in this as a second body to go with my D750 and replace my aging D700.

Looks like a nice piece of work. I would have liked the D5 as well but Ausphotography are skimping on their presents this year and all I got was larger image sizes

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Could have commented in either this or the D5 thread but the auto AF fine tune thing is what's getting me excited. Still need more info on the implementation though.
    So Lance, have you pre-ordered the D500 yet?
    The more I read, the more likely I will get one.

There are some very interesting features, not least of which is that Auto Fine Tuning you mention, but also the FPS, the new faster AF, the extra AF points and the High ISO ability. Also, it is built very similar to the D810 meaning that i can swap from one camera to the other without getting lost, which was a bit of an issue when I owned the D7200 for a month or so.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Also, it is built very similar to the D810 meaning that i can swap from one camera to the other without getting lost, which was a bit of an issue when I owned the D7200 for a month or so.
    Small things but it might be a bit frustrating (initially) swapping the ISO and mode buttons from the POV that we have to relearn something that has been a Nikon UI for a long time up until the D5/D500 generation.

Silly I know but I really like the inclusion of that small joystick to control AF points and its right next to the AF-ON button!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faster FPS, better AF, and huge buffer in a strong build. And looks like it uses the same battery as the D810. I am impressed.
    PDF of Nikon D500
    http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/micr...ogy-digest.pdf
    HAPPY SHOOTING, PETER.
    Constructive Critique of my images is always appreciated!

Bodies: D810 and D7100. Lenses: 300mm f/4, Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR. Tripod: Gitzo GT5541LS tripod. Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Head 2 with Quick Release Base. Teleconverter: Nikon TC-14E ll.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have liked the options similar to D5 as in 2 sd cards instead if 1 SD 1 XQD

cheers
    Last edited by cupic; 08-01-2016 at 6:25pm.

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    I would have liked the options similar to D5 as in 2 sd cards instead if 1 SD 1 XQD

cheers
    Then folks would have complained that the buffer capacity is too shallow!

No point in shooting 10fps and have only 1.5s worth of that shooting time available.

You'll find that most folks will slowly switch to XQD cards as they realise the speed advantage.

Personally, I reckon two XQD cards would have been preferable, or as the minimum, one CF and one XQD.

While many people will almost certainly be trading up from the now prehistoric D300s and some from a D7200(maybe??) .. most of those D300s owners will almost certainly have had CF cards as their primary media(even tho the D300s also has an SD card slot). Reason is, many of them probably updated to the D300s from either a D300 or D200 which only uses a CF card .. so CF cards will be the primary media type they'd have been used too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could live with a D500 for all my sports shots I think. Should be a cracker..

sent from Earth via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know to find out the price where it will eventually fall to
    As with Ted's Camera has them for $2995 body
    Let it cool down and wait for a agreeable price say 2K

cheers

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An enthusiastic review from someone let loose with it pre release ------ http://www.ishootshows.com/2016/01/0...0-and-sb-5000/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An enthusiastic review from someone let loose .....
    Excuse me while I scream like a fangirl at a One Direction concert!

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is which combo of XQD and SD cards ...So many different series that are available and to choose from
    Ideas?

Lance ....where are you in the queue?

cheers

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    The problem is which combo of XQD and SD cards ...So many different series that are available and to choose from
    Ideas?
    Having a spot of bother seeing what the problem is cupic, if you are in the market to buy the latest tech in cameras it seems totally logical to but the latest tech ( series ) of xqd cards to match. The performance of the latest cards is better ( so they tell me ) than the first generation so it only seems fitting to arm the newest camera on the block with the latest cards.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... The performance of the latest cards is better ( so they tell me ) than the first generation so it only seems fitting to arm the newest camera on the block with the latest cards.
    I agree!
    But again in saying that, the older gen XQD cards are still much faster than any CF or SD card! ..

The biggest disappointment with the D800 series cameras has been Nikon's non use of an XQD card slot on at least one of the two available slots.

What the 'ell do I want a slow as molasses, easily to lose, consumer level SD card slot in a pro body with a massive file size count

FWIW: I have an SD card in the slot, but the only time I've ever used it was once to test it .. and two because I'm a goofball and forgot to take the CF card out of the reader, and put it back into the camera again when I doing a sensor clean .. Doh!

I almost forgot the one other time I made a short video to see how the video feature works and have the camera set to store on the SD card.

But the one time when I was allocated the unenviable task of video capturing duties for a day .. I then set the camera to capture all video on the CF card .. and any still I captured to the SD card instead(just for this days shooting).

Hopefully for the D800 replacement Nikon decide to use 1 XQD and 1 CF card slot.

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a spot of bother seeing what the problem is cupic, if you are in the market to buy the latest tech in cameras it seems totally logical to but the latest tech ( series ) of xqd cards to match. The performance of the latest cards is better ( so they tell me ) than the first generation so it only seems fitting to arm the newest camera on the block with the latest cards.
    Had a look at on line Oz sellers and with the D500 comes cards that Sony have developed ..but the thing is that the cards on sale here are discontinued in the states .Plus the price on cards compared to elsewhere are less than 1/2 price for the newer cards available compared to the older versions here in Oz

cheers
    Last edited by cupic; 25-01-2016 at 11:43pm.

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy cards from B&H Photo - even with their freight, the cards are cheaper then any Aussie seller. I do not know why this is, as they are just cards and we seem to be able to compete with the prices any where in the world for lens and camera prices, why not a simple thing like cards? I always buy Australian for my cameras, lenses and anything, else where I can, but the card prices are just stupid locally.

I am in Tokyo at the moment and the local price for a D500 is AU$3,000!!! In Oz they are going to be under $2,500 - I've already had notification. Every Nikon lens I have seen over here is dearer than you can buy locally in Oz.

I have no issue with having to upgrade cards as I will have to upgrade anyway, this is just a technology upgrade that all cameras will have to because of the size of sensors and the throughput that they have to deal with nowadays. In other words, we will all have to upgrade to these sorts of cards anyway at some stage due to technological requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    I agree!
    But again in saying that, the older gen XQD cards are still much faster than any CF or SD card! ..

The biggest disappointment with the D800 series cameras has been Nikon's non use of an XQD card slot on at least one of the two available slots.

What the 'ell do I want a slow as molasses, easily to lose, consumer level SD card slot in a pro body with a massive file size count
    I don't think that an XQD card would have made any difference as it is the EXPEED processor couldn't process these large files fast enough anyway.
    Last edited by Lance B; 26-01-2016 at 12:07am.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post

I don't think that an XQD card would have made any difference as it is the EXPEED processor couldn't process these large files fast enough anyway.
    The buffer still takes too long to clear (of course only for those times when you need it too).
    But also transferring those captured files to the computer. XQD is faster in both read and write times.

As for the inevitable upgrade reasoning .. I fully agree.
    Started with a couple of 2G cards on the D70s .. and while they are still CF cards and could easily be used in the D800(or D300) ... in real terms they are useless and next to useless(respectively).
    I think that 2 Gig capacity would store about 5 images on a D800, and maybe 100 or so on the D300.
    But more infuriating would have been the basically non existent speed in write times(from camera to card).
    I can even imagine shooting a series of 12 frames in 3 seconds or so. 1 the card would probably be full .. or less tongue in cheek .. it'd take about 3 hours to write to those old 2gig cards
    anyhow .. making the D800 all locked up and useless.

On the D70s they are practically very old hat gear .. replaced with less old hat 4G cards.

After 10 years of use tho .. those old 2g cards have paid for themselves over and again many times. I have no issue if they suddenly failed.
    Actually I wish they fail at some point and some of my other Sandisk cards to stop dying on me.

If the card costs say $200 or $300 and lasts you 5 to 10 years .. at $20 - $60 per year isn't really a lot of $'s to pay for quality stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast