User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business Name - opinions please :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Business Name - opinions please :)

Hi All

I am needing help deciding on which way to go with my business name. I am just starting out and have been using a business name that my Husband came up with about three years ago and I am starting to wonder if it is the best name to go forward with..... I would really appreciate anyones opinion on whether or not I am better going with my personal name as the business name or sticking with my current one.... Which is better - to have a brand or to be known as my actual name????

So my current name that I am working under is - Moki Photography

Or working under my actual name - Jessica Simpson Photography

All opinions,pros,cons would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks so much

Jess

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for the name, personally, people will always be trying to read something into the other one, and there is also the small risk it is offensive in somebody or other's language.

BUT, you will have to make sure any existing clients know you are changing it and what to.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a famous name, might come in handy in searches. Or, mean you get lost in searches as the 'other' Jessica Simpson gets all the hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like them both. the top one has a real fun, light, happy sort of feel to it, then second one has a more ..straight, very professional feel to it. If that makes sense?
    I guess I kind of lean more to the first one.
    C&C is always welcome, and dont be gentle
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nikon D80 w/vertical grip | Tokina 12-24 |Nikon 18-55 | Nikon 18-70 | Nikon 70-300 | Sigma 150-500
    Nikon SB800 | Nikon SB 80dx
    Cokin P filters
    other assorted bits and bobs all in a
    Lowepro compu trekker plus aw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it depends on what you mostly photograph, do you capture playful children, and families or is your work very formal.

Moki Photography looks and sounds to me like a great fun place to get family photos with, I probably wouldn't ring them up for a formal session of just myself.

Using your name looks very professional, and to me would be a place I might call if I was looking for glamor shots.

Hope that helps.
    Canon 600D + Tamron 90mm Macro DI f2.8 + 50mm 1.8 II + 75-300mm + 18-55mm IS II + 430 EX II
    My Life In Frames

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaB View Post
    For me it depends on what you mostly photograph, do you capture playful children, and families or is your work very formal.

Moki Photography looks and sounds to me like a great fun place to get family photos with, I probably wouldn't ring them up for a formal session of just myself.

Using your name looks very professional, and to me would be a place I might call if I was looking for glamor shots.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks so much for your opinion Andrea. I suppose this is where I am a little stuck. I am doing family portraits,kids, couples and weddings. I know Moki screams kids and fun and family but I also know that Jessica Simpson Photography probably looks more classy and professional for weddings etc. Oh the decisions

Quote Originally Posted by wildenikon View Post
    This is very subjective, but my opinion is to definitly go with the first. I have a marketing background in a former life and all instincts tell me the 2nd is not the way to go. As previously mentioned on another post, your name has been bracketed with someone else with a higher profile and this is not good. Nowdays with internet searches it will cause problems. Prospective customers in the main will steer away from this listing as it can seem gimicky, or not serious. You want to establish your own goodwill, not ride on the back of someone else with notoriety. Also if you one day sell your business the goodwill with the "Moki" is far greater. Imagine a guy buying a business called JS photgraphy!
    Your logo is attractive and has Queensland written all over it so to me I think there is no argument.... go with Moki and good luck.
    Thanks for your prospective Wildenikon. I am a little concerned about my name hindering my success. I dont want to be taken less serious just because of my name, however I am a concerned that Moki is a little too cutesy for weddings etc..... I still want to be taken as a serious photographer that can handle all situations not just kids. You have definiely given me more to think about. Thanks a bunch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in that case, why not run both?

have moki directed towards the kids/families etc. and JS photography for the glamour/wedding etc. photos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely steer clear of using your name. It may feel 'wrong' to do so, but this is a business decision and you really should be carving your own niche in the market.

'Moki' isn't too bad at all really. It definitely sticks in your mind which is the most important thing a business name should do. The logo is a little too flowery/abstract for my liking, but that could just be me.
    https://forkandfoot.com

Nikon D7000
    Sigma 10-20mm ~ Nikon 18-55mm ~ Nikon 55-200mm ~ Manfrotto 190XProB ~ Manfrotto 488RC2
    ~ LowePro Top Load Zoom 1

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My thoughts are to not use your name. Say you start your business up and call it by your name, you decide in 5 years time to retire or change career direction, but have a company that turns over good money, and is therefore a good prospect for someone to buy. They will be more inclined to buy a business name, than your name.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-02-2010 at 9:56pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Back to Basics
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the name, change the logo!

Moki is very distinctive - a name once learned, less likely to be forgotten.

If you want to attract a different type of business, change the logo to be a bit more "serious". Maybe enlist the help of a graphic designer?

Also, that way, it doesn't alienate your current business clients - you are just having a "change of clothes" so to speak.

I once worked for a company that changed its logo three times. The company name stayed the same so it was a "brand" people could recognise. The letterhead just changed!

That's what you have now - a "brand". Don't lose it.
    Cheryl B.

My Stuff... Canon 6D ~ Canon Speedlite 580EXII x 2 ~ Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro ~ Canon 50mm f1.8 ~ Canon 17-85mm f4-5.6 ~ Canon 16-35mm ~ Canon 70-200mm f2.8 ~ Photoshop CC ~ Lightroom Classic CC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with not using your name. A business name to me sounds more professional. To an outsider having a business name will maybe give the illiusion to a much bigger busines than what it really is.
    Maybe play around with the font and colours for different jobs. Eg, Keep the pink and flower for the families & kids, then maybe go black or silver for weddings or corporate work. Just a suggestion.
    Good luck with it!
    Canon 30D
    28-135mm f3.5-5.6
    50mm f1.4
    15mm Fish eye f2.8
    75-300mm f4-5.6
    Aquatech D-35 housing
    Ports for fish and 50mm
    Manfrotto Tripod
    17' Macbook Pro

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CherylB View Post
    Keep the name, change the logo!

Moki is very distinctive - a name once learned, less likely to be forgotten.

If you want to attract a different type of business, change the logo to be a bit more "serious". Maybe enlist the help of a graphic designer?

Also, that way, it doesn't alienate your current business clients - you are just having a "change of clothes" so to speak.

I once worked for a company that changed its logo three times. The company name stayed the same so it was a "brand" people could recognise. The letterhead just changed!

That's what you have now - a "brand". Don't lose it.
    Cheryl you have just read my mind!!! I was just discussing with my husband that Moki would probably benefit from a change of look rather than a change of name.... Thanks for everyones advice. I think the idea of keeping it a brand and something that can later be sold if need be is probably the smartest way to go. It's only very early days for my business but I just want to get off to a good start with the right look.... Thanks again everyone for your help

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Cheryl 100%. But would like to add, have Moki as above for fun stuff and have Moki in diffferent colours and motif for serious stuff like weddings etc.
    Carmen

My Stuff:- Canon 50D l EF 28-80 f2.8-4L
    l EF 100-300 f4-5.6 l Canon 100mm f2.8 macro l Tokina 11-16 f2.8 l Pol. Filter l Flash l Grip l Remote l Tripod l Lightroom 2 l CS3

Constructive Critique of my photos always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever checking out a business name always check if someone has a trademark on it. Just a quick google brung up Moki swimwear with a palm tree in the logo. Trademarks can be registered in different categories however some companies register their mark in all categories even if they don't trade in that industry. Don't just rely on business name registration. You may even run into problems with Jessica Simpson even if it's your own name. Think I'm being paranoid? Cadbury went around and threatened any chocolate producers that presented their products in anything even faintly resembling their colour purple which they now have registered. Try calling yourself Virgin Photography or MacPhotography and see what happens.

Intellectual property Lawyers make their money by pursuing even the slightest possible infringements on business names and trademarks and even if you think your in the right, you may not have the resources to go through a lengthy and costly court process to defend something that may have been avoided with a bit of research in the first place. Forget about fair and right when it comes to business - it's a tough world out there.
    Always willing to sacrifice my artistic integrity for cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others, Jess. Moki Photography really stands out to me, is easy to remember and cries individualism.

Can bite the big one having a famous name, can't it? My daughter is Lisa Simpson, though she was around first (just).
    Osprey Photography

Canon: 5D Mk II, 40D, 10D all gripped, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 f2.8 Macro and other assorted accessories.

Some stalk, some chase and some pursue... but I hunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like moki.

If there wasn't a singer named Jessica Simpson, then I would say go with your name, but alas there is. I just like the way Moki sounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Business Name - opinions please :)

Anything apart from just using your name you have to register as a business to trade FYI too
    Darren
    Gear : Nikon Goodness
    Please support Precious Hearts
    Constructive Critique of my images always appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the second option, has an element of class about it.
    www.boardroomphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're concerned about 'moki' not presenting a broad enough image, and with your real name already high profile for the wrong reasons, what about Jess Simpson instead of Jessica Simpson?

And, yeah, with the naming - you'd have to pay to register Moki (if it's available!), whereas the advice I was given is that your name is free (but only if it's Your Name photographer, as opposed to Your Name Photography.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, I am showing my age, I didn't know there was a singer with the same name as you! I think Cheryl has it, make the logo a bit more 'serious/pro' and it should be good. I like the more elegant look of the second example, maybe get this influence in to the Moki brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast